1- Simple Audio Recorder? 2- USB Microphone?

RodrigoCard

Hello

I want to use my Pandora (1ghz, latest firmware 1.55) to record sounds on the street, parks, etc.

1 - Is there some simple audio recorder Pnd somewhere? I tried Audacity with the built in microphone and it simple doesnt work and gives me a error (sometimes crash). I messed a lot with the configuration files but with no sucess.

2 - Does the pandora work with USB Microphones? I cant find a program to test it so I couldnt test. Just want to know if it works.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a working mic line in the headset jack, if that helps.

The  annoying thing being that the headset mic and internal mic together work as a left/right stereo pair IIRC

Check my port of mhWaveEdit http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=mhwaveedit

It can record from internal mic (i tested it) and maybe with an external usb mic (but i don't have it ...and don't know for sure).

This is the thread with info on how to enable internal mic (default is off)

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11802-mhwaveedit-record-play-edit-and-convert-sound-files/

Works pretty well, unlike Audacity :) Thanks!

Anyway, Audacity works for you?

There's also a working mic line in the headset jack, if that helps.

The  annoying thing being that the headset mic and internal mic together work as a left/right stereo pair IIRC
Nokia pinout for the headset.
I dont have one of these, only the Apple one, which is a different pin-out,

would a old sony ericsson one work? (I have one somewhere....)

About the USB Mic, I tried a Logitech one (that form Rock Band 1, heh, worked in every single computer I tested before :) ), and it unfortunately, didnt work.

It doesnt even list using   arecord -l   am I doing something wrong?

Depends if it's usb 1 or 2.

The big usb port on the Pandora only supports usb 2.

After activating usb, you can see which device is connected with lsusb in a terminal.

I was also unable to get the mic part of a Logitech USB  headset working,  even though the headphone part itself worked ok.   It didn't seem to register the mic as a device.   I would have expected it to show up as Card 1, Device 1, but there was only Card 1, Device 0 (the headphones) in the output of arecord -l.

- Neelix

Here's how to get Audacity working:

http://pandorawiki.org/Audio_system#Using_Audacity

I tried it quite a long time ago and it worked. Haven't tried it recently.
I can't find this:

1. in mixer controls (the little icon on your taskbar), choose 'select controls' and then tick 'left input source' and 'right input source'
  2. then in the main screen you should now see a new tab called 'options'. Click on it.

I see the mixer toolbar. I don't see any option to select controls. Once you make the mistake of setting the input to dsp, it crashes and won't start again.

Thanks for all the info people!

Looks like Audacity is misbehaving but not because the internal mic, the mic worked pretty well in other apps.

I cannot even play a simple generated sound, certainly it is not mic related.

I will investigate the Audacity issue later... aparently, it doesnt like my fat32 card, good excuse to start using ext2 :)

Also, mhWaveEdit does the job!

Depends if it's usb 1 or 2.

The big usb port on the Pandora only supports usb 2.

After activating usb, you can see which device is connected with lsusb in a terminal.
I didnt know that! Thanks

So, I need a hub, right (found that info somewhere)?

I will buy an unpowered one and try again

(even if my powered hub works it has no use to me as I want a portable recorder)

Check my port of mhWaveEdit http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=mhwaveedit

It can record from internal mic
Thank you for this!

I must say the sound is pretty fantastic with the internal mike :)

BUT

Use a "fast" SD-Card ;) otherwise you get an annoying skip every now and then :)

And have it saved on that SD card (and not internally on the Pandora, it would run up too fast).

Internal mic recording with the Pandora sounds better than with my old Mp3 player that I was using before and also (much) better than the WIz and Caanoo audio recordings :)

I´m pretty pleased!

Just to let you know, The Logitech USB Mic DOES work when I plug it using a USB hub, yay! \o/

Audacity worked for me with this mic, but not with the internal one.... What could it be?

Also, I dont know how to make mhWaveEdit work with this mic, any thoughts?

summing up, I can use the internal mic with mhWaveEdit, and the logitech mic with Audacity... haha!

I´d also like to know if overclocking for mhWaveEdit is necessary to avoid these skips in recording or if a hi-speed SD card is the way out :)

If nobody knows then I´m going to find it out myself, not before Monday when the shops are open again...

I need an USB-hub anyway in order to plug in USB sound card + 3.5 mm external microphone...but on the other hand, I doubt that 10-Euro-mike is better than the built-in one.

Whenever I think it is my card (I mostly buy cheap cards, that do not really have the oopf) and want to test the throughput, I use a usb harddrive, those things fly (usb{2,3} are very fast). This way, I learned that watching high quality 1080p? is possible, only from a usb hdd.

Thanks guys...i'm very glad that one of my port is helping someone else enjoying Pandora experience.

I have noted there is out a new version of MHWaveEdit...i'll try to build it.

Yes, it definitely is enjoyable. I have never had luck with Audacity on Pandora recognizing the internal mic but with mhWaveEdit, following the instructions, a matter of 2 minutes to get all done :)

And as I said, in-built microphone quality (highly subjective, of course):

Dingoo: works....

Wiz: ok, loud hiss

Caanoo: hiss but better basses than Wiz

Pandora: strikingly well! :) Almost no hiss, and my FM radio does not sound better :)

For recordings on wav on the go or during instrument practice for learning it´s very very good :) I just transfer it to Audacity later (on desktop), make the channels mono and raise the volume, and ready for mp3 transfer.

If I get Audacity up again, all of this post-production ought to work on the Pandora actually...

EDIT And overclocking is absolutely not necessary, CC on 600 MHz does it.

Will try a Class 4 card tomorrow....as i said, class 10: great! Class nothing: skips ;)

Thanks guys...i'm very glad that one of my port is helping someone else enjoying Pandora experience.
Definitely!

I've been using it a couple of times to do short speech recordings with the internal mic.

The sound quality is just perfect for that kind of thing - you don't need it any better! :)

(I compared the Pandora with mhWaveEdit it to a recording app on my Android and immediately uninstalled the Android app after that :p )

Back