1080P Decoding, It May Be Possible :)

Interesting, but I'd probably still transcode any HD content, since that CPU load would probably cut battery life quite a bit.

It appears to confirm a previous device teardown that showed that, by itself, the Samsung ARM chip could decode 720p smoothly at least when running at its full clock speed
Surely they mean TI, not Samsung? :unsure:

AFAIK the 3GS uses a Cortex-A8 clocked at ~800MHz underclocked to about 600MHz, and I think it is in fact made by Samsung. It also may use an SGX 535. Both are a bit beefier than the Pandora, although I don't know what the specs were when this guy did his video test. I certainly wouldn't want to, anyway, because I don't think it can be outputted in any usable way, and it would really hurt battery life.

Tensuke said:
AFAIK the 3GS uses a Cortex-A8 clocked at ~800MHz underclocked to about 600MHz, and I think it is in fact made by Samsung. It also may use an SGX 535. Both are a bit beefier than the Pandora, although I don't know what the specs were when this guy did his video test. I certainly wouldn't want to, anyway, because I don't think it can be outputted in any usable way, and it would really hurt battery life.

You're right - for some reason, I thought it used the OMAP 3 SoC, but apparently not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the iPhone 3GS can play 1080p, given it's a different SoC that alas proves nothing: after all the iPhone could very well have a very efficient video hardware accelerator.

Back