128gb SDXC Card?

I'm not entirely sure it would work on the Pandora, either.

Remember: SD 4.0 SDXC cards DO NOT work, only SD 3.0 SDXC cards.

But of course, they don't write whether it follows the 3.0 or the 4.0 standard...

SD 4.0 SDXC cards DO NOT work
yet.

We have the SD drivers, it is not entirely outside the realm of possibility that they can be updated to handle SDXC. Remember, when SDHC came along, they said devices that only supported SD cards would not work as well, but a lot of devices were later flashed with new firmware which supported the new standard. I've not seen anything yet that suggests this is definitely not going to be the case with SDXC.

If someone buys me this card I'll try it out when I get my Pandora.

LOL, it doesn't seem that long ago that a 32GB SDHC card cost more than the Pandora. I picked one up for under $50 a few weeks ago and smiled when I held it in my hands thinking that it would have cost more than the device I got it for a few years back.

I'll never buy SD media that is over the $50 range, new rule for me. I paid $47 each for my 16GB cards a while ago and $49 for my 32GB card recently so 50 is the magic number for me.

well the 64gb card is already supported from early test. (might have change by now) but i don't think i'll need 128gb on one SD card any time soon so i'm okay without a driver update.

WizardStan, we're getting closer... ;)

WizardStan said:
We won't be hitting 2 TB for a long, long time. I will eat my hat if we don't see a Pandora2* before SDXC cards larger than 256GB.

*offer void if OpenPandora dies before a Pandora2 can be produced.

(Original with source link in my sig at gp32x)

is 64 gigabytes the limit on the pandora,ie 2, 32 gig cards?Will the sdhc card slots take anything bigger than this?

Last edited by a moderator:
is 64 gigabytes the limit on the pandora,ie 2, 32 gig cards?Will the sdhc card slots take anything bigger than this?
As mentioned above:

Remember: SD 4.0 SDXC cards DO NOT work, only SD 3.0 SDXC cards.

But of course, they don't write whether it follows the 3.0 or the 4.0 standard...
So some, 64GB cards will work others won't.

Someone already used a 64GB card in theirs and it was fine. It needed to be reformatted on account of the Pandora not supporting exFat, but otherwise no problem. In theory, the limit is the physical limit of the bus: 2TB per card.

Someone already used a 64GB card in theirs and it was fine. It needed to be reformatted on account of the Pandora not supporting exFat, but otherwise no problem. In theory, the limit is the physical limit of the bus: 2TB per card.
Good to know.So 2 64 gig cards is possible.

How picky are cards of the SD 4.0 standard about the dataclock? Afaik, the only reason SDHC devices wouldn't be compatible is that FAT "doesn't support volumes larger than 32GB", which also happens to be why SDHC cards are artificially limited to that size. If SD 4.0 cards can handle a standard 25MHz or 50MHz data clock, then it should be possible to support entirely by software update, at most. Right?

If SD 4.0 cards can handle a standard 25MHz or 50MHz data clock, then it should be possible to support entirely by software update, at most. Right?
That's the theory. Same way that SD devices were upgraded to use SDHC cards at only SD speeds, unless they actually implement that it MUST go at a specific speed, and I really can't see any way of enforcing that given it's the device that drives the clock and not the card.

That's the theory. Same way that SD devices were upgraded to use SDHC cards at only SD speeds, unless they actually implement that it MUST go at a specific speed, and I really can't see any way of enforcing that given it's the device that drives the clock and not the card.

I'm pretty sure I read that all cards supports 25MHz, because I have a strong memory of that my design of a SD "multiplexer/JBOD array" might be possible to implement with a fairly slow µC (high end AVR.)

I have a 64 GB SDXC SanDisk Ultra that I've been attempting to use in my Pandora... Just got it yesterday and still haven't been able to get it to work right. It gives me write errors when I attempt to place files into the apps subfolder among other issues I've had. I've tried the following:

When I first inserted the card it did nothing, didn't appear on the desktop. Opened up terminal and typed: sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 (use mmcblk1 for the second slot)

't' then '83' to change the partition type to linux, then 'w' to save.

sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

Then wait about 10 minutes while it formats.

And that seems to be ineffective. Any progress being made on making the SDXC compatible or is there something I can do to make it work? I had read a while back that it was going to be compatible with the Pandora which led me to buying it and I'd hate to have to resell it... Especially if I'm just missing something obvious here.

I have a 64 GB SDXC SanDisk Ultra that I've been attempting to use in my Pandora... Just got it yesterday and still haven't been able to get it to work right. It gives me write errors when I attempt to place files into the apps subfolder among other issues I've had. I've tried the following:

When I first inserted the card it did nothing, didn't appear on the desktop. Opened up terminal and typed: sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 (use mmcblk1 for the second slot)

't' then '83' to change the partition type to linux, then 'w' to save.

sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

Then wait about 10 minutes while it formats.

And that seems to be ineffective. Any progress being made on making the SDXC compatible or is there something I can do to make it work? I had read a while back that it was going to be compatible with the Pandora which led me to buying it and I'd hate to have to resell it... Especially if I'm just missing something obvious here.
Someone on this forum got a 64GB card and had to find a XD card reader to format it to the full 64 gigs. I don't remember him saying there were errors just that it was only formatted as 32GB. He used gparted on the Pandora to get it to work though, you might want to try that. I'm not sure if you're trying this on the Pandora or another computer but you can format it directly on the Pandora. I'd go to the wiki and get gparted if I were you.

Here is the thread that this quote is from. I'd give gparted a try.

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to go off topic, but what are some good places for affordable SD cards? I vaguely remember something about avoiding fakes...

Back