"2 months" I KNOW BUT....

mcgregor25

Still Fresh
Without ever holding one I love the Pandora. I know a lot of dedicated people are working very hard and some delays are out of their hands. However, I'm looking at email responses I've gotten over the past year when I've asked about delivery and feel mislead.

I do not think those in the know have ever been realistic about a release estimate. How could they possibly think in late December '09 that my order would ship in January '10? What stage was the project at that point? Even if the nubs never turned out to be a problem how could they honestly think they would be sending out finished units in one month - A YEAR AGO?

I am seriously considering canceling my order. Yes I know it seems that this is the home stretch ... but that's exactly what was thought one year ago.

I've including sections of my conversations bellow. I also noticed that in the past year I've somehow slipped from #3050 in the que to #3400.

So that I can make my decision I am asking for a REALISTIC ship date for my unit. Be pessimistic if you must but tell me a date you would put money on. Then I will decide if its worth waiting until that date. If I don't get a date I will have to assume the worst and cancel my order.

Technology moves fast. Two years ago a Pandora was more impressive than it is today. I still believe in the product but I am concerned about my investment.

Please respond with a realistic date for my #3050(?) Pandora.

From Jacquelyn at openpandorasales – December 17th, 2009

“We would expect to ship your order in January.”

From Jacquelyn at openpandorasales – June 10th, 2010

“Your approximate queue position is 3050 - 3150, I would estimate despatch within the next 4/6 weeks but promise we will ship as soon as possible.”

From Michael Mrozek – July 4th, 2010

“Batch 1 of the Pandora is currently being shipped… shipping for batch 2 will start in October 2010”

From Craig at openpandorasales – September 10th, 2010

“we will work as fast as we can to ship as many as possible from batch 2 before Christmas”

From Jacquelyn at openpandorasales – October 1st, 2010

“Your approximate queue position is 3400-3500… I would estimate your order will be dispatched within 4/5 weeks of assembly and shipping resuming with the new nubs.”

I don't think they've been misleading. They genuinely were expecting to deliver roughly on all of the dates that they mentioned, it's just that Murphy got in the way each time.

Once more we find ourselves at a stage whether things can go two ways; either the board company haven't produced the boards that they promised, and production goes down the toilet again, or they have done the work and everything is more or less on track, hopefully it's the latter.

All being well I would take a rough guess that batch 1 will be out the door be the end of Februar, but I'm pulling that figure out of my ass, it's just a hunch.

i miss craig in these instances, because at some point i just agree with him

ZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZzzzZZZZ..... Wah? Oh yah! rable! rable! rable! rable! Dang OPT trying so hard to sell me their stuff! We should complain on the forum and threaten to cancel! That will make the process go faster, incite others to join my cause and generally wreck havoc...

Nah.

Edit: </sarcasm>

Last edited by a moderator:
ZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZzzzZZZZ..... Wah? Oh yah! rable! rable! rable! rable! Dang OPT trying so hard to sell me their stuff! We should complain on the forum and threaten to cancel! That will make the process go faster, incite others to join my cause and generally wreck havoc...

Nah.

Edit: </sarcasm>

I posted to the forum because I don't think I've ever gotten a straight answer from openpandorasales and I don't know who to contact directly.

Yeah, we really expected shipping at these times... but each time, something different was happening.

Cases took longer, etc.

The last delay we had was because all the nubs failed... we didn't expect that when we started shipping the first units a few months back.

Now the nubs are working fine, we have all needed parts... the only thing that could cause more delays is the Board company and that's why one guy from Dallas will visit the regularly to make sure they work.

There have been LOTS of delays, but the only real drawback were the nubs... everything else was a step forward. The nubs were a step backwards, but we catched that one up now.

I've got a Pandora in my hands. It erases all stigma I have for this project, in an instant.

When you get your Pandora, you won't care about 2 Months any more.

Yeah, we really expected shipping at these times... but each time, something different was happening.

Cases took longer, etc.

The last delay we had was because all the nubs failed... we didn't expect that when we started shipping the first units a few months back.

Now the nubs are working fine, we have all needed parts... the only thing that could cause more delays is the Board company and that's why one guy from Dallas will visit the regularly to make sure they work.

There have been LOTS of delays, but the only real drawback were the nubs... everything else was a step forward. The nubs were a step backwards, but we catched that one up now.
I 80% agree. -10% as the wifi was also a drawback that stopped production (quickly fixed but it was a worry at the time)

-10% because you said "the only thing". Hell! Given the history of this project I know this isn't right.

For over a year I defended Pandora, bragging about how incredible the product will be. But whether or not it was intentional I have been misled and they have been unrealistic. In retrospect does anyone actually believe that in late December '09 they were capable of producing 3000+ units in one month to meet their January delivery claim to me? Even if they had all of the parts working and all of the materials in front of them I doubt they could build them that fast. Given the fact that they didn't have the parts working and in front of them that claim is completely irresponsible and misleading. Six months later I got the same irresponsible claim again. They are a small company and are trying their best, but they have hundreds of dollars of my money up front so that makes them somewhat answerable.

The fact is two years ago the Pandora looked like the only answer for fast, portable emulation with true gaming controls. Now that's no longer the case. Even their own company is devoting resources to develop the iControlPad, and Sony Ericsson will soon be unveiling their gaming phone. Yes a mobile phone can never do what the Pandora can, but these devices are utilizing up to 1/2 GB of RAM and 1GHZ processors in a much smaller package.

I simply asked for a realistic estimate so that I could make an informed decision as a consumer. What I got was the same line I got a year ago. "Soon if nothing else goes wrong."

So I have contacted openpandorasales to cancel my order. Maybe I will be back in a year once mass production is running smoothly but at this point I would rather wait another year with my money in hand rather than hope for delivery in six months with no real answers.

you left the boat ?

The pandora is far more than the sum of its part. You failed to see this point.. So dont look back

That's very true. I do think it's an incredible device and more than the sum of its parts. But there are diminishing returns. Do you think it will be the best there is in 5, 10, 20 years? My point is I've already been waiting for this for 2 years and I don't feel as though they have acted responsibly with their claims so I would rather have my investment back and wait a bit longer to see how things pan out.

As far as missing the point - I'm not a developer, I'm just interested in emulation, but I would guess a lot of customers are the same as me.

That's very true. I do think it's an incredible device and more than the sum of its parts. But there are diminishing returns. Do you think it will be the best there is in 5, 10, 20 years? My point is I've already been waiting for this for 2 years and I don't feel as though they have acted responsibly with their claims so I would rather have my investment back and wait a bit longer to see how things pan out.

As far as missing the point - I'm not a developer, I'm just interested in emulation, but I would guess a lot of customers are the same as me.
I've had a couple of glum days when the lack of rapid progress with the nubs got me seriously down. Me, I want the Pandora for a number of reasons, primarily an UMPC which I think it will do well at, a gp2x replacement which it will more than cope with. The screen is greater than the standard res of DVD so it's going to make a great media player.

In 5 years time I hope I have burned the unit out. I suspect I'll love the unit too much to abuse it but an excuse to buy and off the shelf CraiginatorII may be too strong. 10 Years, I get it out of its felt lined box to show the grandkids. 20 Years I'll sell it at Cristies for $120,000 (actually I hope the Pandora so common that it would not fetch that sort of price).

Yes there are faster things and there will be even faster things but they will be more expensive and not so open.

in my blinkered view - you have still missed the point. May be if you'd stuck with it and grown into your Pandora then you would have seen the light. Que cera!

Last edited by a moderator:
in my blinkered view - you have still missed the point. May be if you'd stuck with it and grown into your Pandora then you would have seen the light. Que cera!
Please pardon me, but I really don't think that's very fair to say... Like anything, the fact is that the Pandora isn't going to be for everyone, and if it doesn't suit someone, then it's no good potentially ending up disappointed, surely?

I've had a couple of glum days when the lack of rapid progress with the nubs got me seriously down. Me, I want the Pandora for a number of reasons, primarily an UMPC which I think it will do well at, a gp2x replacement which it will more than cope with. The screen is greater than the standard res of DVD so it's going to make a great media player.

In 5 years time I hope I have burned the unit out. I suspect I'll love the unit too much to abuse it but an excuse to buy and off the shelf CraiginatorII may be too strong. 10 Years, I get it out of its felt lined box to show the grandkids. 20 Years I'll sell it at Cristies for $120,000 (actually I hope the Pandora so common that it would not fetch that sort of price).

Yes there are faster things and there will be even faster things but they will be more expensive and not so open.

I agree with everything you're saying - definitely an amazing UMPC/media player/gaming device for the price. But I think you're missing MY point. It's not at all that I don't think the Pandora is amazing and I'm not saying I will never get one.

What I'm saying is why continue to trust my money with a company that has proven to be so unreliable with their claims? So I won't be one of the first to get it - true. But according to their current claims Batch 2 will be sent out immediately after Batch 1. So I'll wait and see. If its still the best thing out there when they finally get rolling then I'll re-order one, but if something better comes along in the mean time then maybe not.

I agree with everything you're saying - definitely an amazing UMPC/media player/gaming device for the price. But I think you're missing MY point. It's not at all that I don't think the Pandora is amazing and I'm not saying I will never get one.

What I'm saying is why continue to trust my money with a company that has proven to be so unreliable with their claims? So I won't be one of the first to get it - true. But according to their current claims Batch 2 will be sent out immediately after Batch 1. So I'll wait and see. If its still the best thing out there when they finally get rolling then I'll re-order one, but if something better comes along in the mean time then maybe not.
Write off the money, lie back and think of England. I have. It doesn't help at all but hey! :p

Granted, the OPT have taken over two years to develop this beast, they would be the first to admit they have made some mistakes but this is their first attempt. I think in hindsight (which is hard for a product that I'm still waiting for)we've got what we've paid for. The original price was good value (less than cost) so that means the OPT does not have the cash to splash. They have little to no clout.

I have returned from the dark-side. If Darth Vader managed this then there's hope for you too. :p (I Joke)

I dreamed about a device like the pandora since year 2001. Someday in 2008 I read an article about the pandora on engadget. I waited 7 years to actually see someone draw this device out of my mind. I guess I could have waited that much longer to get the device delivered. Fortunately, it was delivered in less than 2 years.

The pandora is a dream that came true.

You're looking for a dingoo or a caanoo until next gen...

damnit where is angry drunken craig in all this? if you dont like the wait then cancel, OPT is more then happy to give you your money back, but what we dont need is your immature whining about it like you got ripped off, if you didnt see the chances that you took when pre-ordering the pandora than thats your own goddamn fault, the ones that stuck around knew what they were getting into and knew there was nothing like the pandora 2 years ago and there still isnt because all the other companies that make such products are going in the exact opposite direction of where the pandora is trying to go, yes youre right, the claim the pandora had that its the most powerful handheld isnt true anymore, but it can still take way more advantage of a 500mhz processor than Samsung can with an 800mhz one. if youre happy with emulation on a $500 iphone, go with that, if youre happy with emulation on an $800 ipad, go with that, if youre happy with emulation on a $150 psp, go with that, theres plenty of choices around and if you find one that meets all the criteria that the pandora delivers, please let me know where i can slide my credit card and give my john hancock to get such a device, until then please stfu

/rant over

damnit where is angry drunken craig in all this? if you dont like the wait then cancel, OPT is more then happy to give you your money back, but what we dont need is your immature whining about it like you got ripped off, if you didnt see the chances that you took when pre-ordering the pandora than thats your own goddamn fault, the ones that stuck around knew what they were getting into and knew there was nothing like the pandora 2 years ago and there still isnt because all the other companies that make such products are going in the exact opposite direction of where the pandora is trying to go, yes youre right, the claim the pandora had that its the most powerful handheld isnt true anymore, but it can still take way more advantage of a 500mhz processor than Samsung can with an 800mhz one. if youre happy with emulation on a $500 iphone, go with that, if youre happy with emulation on an $800 ipad, go with that, if youre happy with emulation on a $150 psp, go with that, theres plenty of choices around and if you find one that meets all the criteria that the pandora delivers, please let me know where i can slide my credit card and give my john hancock to get such a device, until then please stfu

/rant over

Bottom line: how could OPT say they are going to have 3000 units shipping in one months time a year ago if they had so many components (wifi, boards, cases, nubs) still to manufacture and get working properly AND assemble? I'm saying even with no problems that is totally unrealistic.

I hope you're right about OPT being more than happy to refund, because I did cancel and am waiting on a response.

Back