2000 nubs ready to rumble (2010 - 12 - 07)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Nubs and boards

The first 2000 of the new nubs have successfully arrived at the board company in Texas yesterday at 10am (according to the UPS tracking information)

If what they told us is true and they really have over 2000 boards finished, putting the nubs on should not be a big deal and happen pretty fast.

But let's be careful here - so far, we have no proof that the boards really exist. They missed a few deadlines already - but then again, they might've been waiting for the final nubs to appear.

Trey (as mentioned before, he's one of the guys from the community here) will most probably be visiting them tomorrow to find out what the status is.

Let's all hope he comes back with good news.

If they haven't produced as many boards as they claimed, I can only hope you continue to support us. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have come this far.

And after all, they successfully built 900 boards so far so we know they can do it. They won't have the excuse that they're waiting for the nubs anymore AND we have Trey to regularly check the production, so it should be possible getting the remaining boards soon!

And as you know - we're also currently setting up a batch with a new company - so in worst case, they can start the production.

We're trying to do whatever we can to keep the Pandora alive. All we need is your support! Then we can do it!

LCD Cables

If you take a look at the threads, the issue of the purple tint of death hasn't occured often since we began to handle the LCD cable extra careful.

Some still seem to be week and fail, but that was about 3 out of 700 so far.

Still, the LCD cable needs a lot of work (we need to apply a lot of copper tape manually for shielding) and we don't want ANY cable to fail in the future.

We're getting some samples from a different company next week (some contact he had at MSI proposed them to us). That company is specialized on flex cables, so they know exactly how to produce the cables that they won't break.

They also shielded the cables, so we won't need to do that manually anymore.

That will make things easier in the future.

TV Out Cables

The TV Out cable production can now be started anytime and should take 4 - 6 weeks.

I want to wait for the next big batch of boards to ship from Texas before doing it though, because if the company in Texas doesn't work reliable, we need to concentrate on that first!

But finally, it's ready to be produced.

Broken Nubs

It was planned that the company in Texas replaces the nubs, but currently, as long as we don't know how fast they're really working, we're looking for options.

The best option is doing it ourselves - saves shipping costs and I know I can rely on myself ;)

ERSA (one of the biggest companies creating soldering and desoldering tools) is really helpful and is currently investigating if they can provide us a solution to easily remove the nubs.

If this is the case, then we can finally repair broken nub boards once all the new nubs are there.

This might be after christmas, because during christmas season there are always a lot of delays everywhere (also in production), but we'll inform you when the time is finally there.

Well, as usual, time is our only enemy - but we will face that enemy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear about the LCD cables. Having looked at it carefully, I'm almost positive mine broke because of the copper shielding: it's very stiff and kinks easily, making a sharp crease and pressure point. I'd be willing to bet that after the initial run of broken cables due to improper install, most broken cables since then have been related to the shielding. I know it's necessary, I just hope the new source works out better.

Good luck!

Nubs and boards

The first 2000 of the new nubs have successfully arrived at the board company in Texas yesterday at 10am (according to the UPS tracking information)

If what they told us is true and they really have over 2000 boards finished, putting the nubs on should not be a big deal and happen pretty fast.

But let's be careful here - so far, we have no proof that the boards really exist. They missed a few deadlines already - but then again, they might've been waiting for the final nubs to appear.

Trey (as mentioned before, he's one of the guys from the community here) will most probably be visiting them tomorrow to find out what the status is.

Let's all hope he comes back with good news.

If they haven't produced as many boards as they claimed, I can only hope you continue to support us. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have come this far.

And after all, they successfully built 900 boards so far so we know they can do it. They won't have the excuse that they're waiting for the nubs anymore AND we have Trey to regularly check the production, so it should be possible getting the remaining boards soon!

And as you know - we're also currently setting up a batch with a new company - so in worst case, they can start the production.

We're trying to do whatever we can to keep the Pandora alive. All we need is your support! Then we can do it!

LCD Cables

If you take a look at the threads, the issue of the purple tint of death hasn't occured often since we began to handle the LCD cable extra careful.

Some still seem to be week and fail, but that was about 3 out of 700 so far.

Still, the LCD cable needs a lot of work (we need to apply a lot of copper tape manually for shielding) and we don't want ANY cable to fail in the future.

We're getting some samples from a different company next week (some contact he had at MSI proposed them to us). That company is specialized on flex cables, so they know exactly how to produce the cables that they won't break.

They also shielded the cables, so we won't need to do that manually anymore.

That will make things easier in the future.

TV Out Cables

The TV Out cable production can now be started anytime and should take 4 - 6 weeks.

I want to wait for the next big batch of boards to ship from Texas before doing it though, because if the company in Texas doesn't work reliable, we need to concentrate on that first!

But finally, it's ready to be produced.

Broken Nubs

It was planned that the company in Texas replaces the nubs, but currently, as long as we don't know how fast they're really working, we're looking for options.

The best option is doing it ourselves - saves shipping costs and I know I can rely on myself ;)

ERSA (one of the biggest companies creating soldering and desoldering tools) is really helpful and is currently investigating if they can provide us a solution to easily remove the nubs.

If this is the case, then we can finally repair broken nub boards once all the new nubs are there.

This might be after christmas, because during christmas season there are always a lot of delays everywhere (also in production), but we'll inform you when the time is finally there.

Well, as usual, time is our only enemy - but we will face that enemy!

Thanks ED, this is so far the best news I have heard this year, hopefully if all goes as you planned then Craig and the other few OPT team members can FINALLY Start building the Pandora's at the estimated speed and number of units per Week as planned!!,

I'll just wait for the next update to see what happens!

Thanks ED, this is so far the best news I have heard this year, hopefully if all goes as you planned then Craig and the other few OPT team members can FINALLY Start building the Pandora's at the estimated speed and number of units per Week as planned!!,

I'll just wait for the next update to see what happens!

Well, for me, the best news would be:

"We were imagining things! The company really produced all boards and Trey made pictures of them!" :)

Please Trey do the magic.... tomorrow :p

A question for ED : When in Jan the companys restart to work on Pandora ?

Do you think that we can expect the end of first batch for end of Jan 2011 if everything goes well ?

Thanks a lot for the news.

Please Trey do the magic.... tomorrow :p

A question for ED : When in Jan the companys restart to work on Pandora ?

Do you think that we can expect the end of first batch for end of Jan 2011 if everything goes well ?

Thanks a lot for the news.

ALL nubs should be finished end of December / beginning of January.

If the board company really sticks to their claims and has produced what they told us, then end Jan 2011 should be realistic.

It's great to be hearing about all of this progress! Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow... ED awesome job on keeping people informed, and love the one vid per day feature. A+++

With the mentioning of broken nubs I didn't see if it was clear that this would be done at cost of the manufacturer; is it? I remember the canvass for those who had broken nubs including leap of faith "One-Nub Clubbers". Did the manufacturer agree to absorb the cost of replacing faulty nubs? I.E. when I send my unit in for LCD ribbon repair I'd like some love on my nub, will I have to pay for that repair or is the manufacturer my new friend? Also, if I do have to pay for a replacement nub is it OK here to ask what the cost will be?

A-...alright... but listen, you owe us something for this! When you guys get big and start making money off this, promise us this one thing:

Grow a pair, will you? At least once you have enough weight to swing around.

Well, for me, the best news would be:

"We were imagining things! The company really produced all boards and Trey made pictures of them!" :)
What if...

The company really did not produce all the boards and Trey manufactured pictures of them :p

Or... what if Trey is actually the guy in the 3 piece suit and the mustache?

You sound pessimistic, like the project is on the verge of dying.

You shouldn't, the last thing you need is a panic. Even if you have cancellations after christmas, any completed Pandora would be easy to sell. If the project had to fail, it would have happened when it was far from completion.

People must have patience because this is the greatest device ever, and when people starting to recieve it then they know why, I my use mine allmost every day.

During the summer for one month I was on a roadtrip through New Zealand, and used it as a MP3 player the whole day every day and sometimes watched movies at night before going to bed on one singe charge just amazing.

ED - I hope so much that this project is going to be a success, You do a really Awesome job here, and can only admire you for all you do.

:)

Why don't we all show our support and get at least 3100 more replies in this thread saying so?

Come on people, it's up to us too to keep the Pandora alive. We should give ED and the rest of the gang an indication that most of us are still here and intend staying.

The OP team have my support both as a customer and as a salivating linux geek. How about you? Gamers? Linuxers? Pandorians? Gadgeteers?

These guys have already done the improbable. The impossible always takes a bit longer.

You sound pessimistic, like the project is on the verge of dying.

You shouldn't, the last thing you need is a panic. Even if you have cancellations after christmas, any completed Pandora would be easy to sell. If the project had to fail, it would have happened when it was far from completion.

Well, I'm not panicking :)

True, the Pandora is damn easy to sell once we have the units.

That's why I said our only enemy is time: The company in Texas produced 900 Pandoras already, so I see no reason why they shouldn't manage to build the rest of the units.

I just hope that happens FAST now that the nubs are finally there.

People must have patience because this is the greatest device ever, and when people starting to recieve it then they know why, I my use mine allmost every day.

During the summer for one month I was on a roadtrip through New Zealand, and used it as a MP3 player the whole day every day and sometimes watched movies at night before going to bed on one singe charge just amazing.

I guess if the waiting users had a Pandora for a while, they would probably continue to wait.

It's useful and unique, most users who have one said it was worth the wait. However, you first must HAVE one to understand that :)

ED - I hope so much that this project is going to be a success, You do a really Awesome job here, and can only admire you for all you do.

Thanks! Well, as said: We will do everything to fix all issues and have a reliable production.

But that will only work if the manufacturing company does it's job.

Nubs and boards

<deleted>

I can only hope you continue to support us.

<deleted>

I'll support you and the team :)

[edit]

I waited X times two months, so X+1 is not a problem for me

Back