266mhz Model Purchase Help

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
hi,

i am an American who is now finally giving in to his desire (after about a month :p )

i was wondering how much better (edit:eek:ut of the box) 266Mhz model is than the reg.
model

please keep in mind a certain president of mine has totally messed up the dollar so its
about $100 less off play-asia/gp2x store than gp2x.co.uk, im also aware i can overclock the regular model

thanks

edit: PLEASE DONT TELL ME THEYRE THE SAME I KNOW

There is no difference. All it means is it's been tested to be stable at that speed. However if being able to overclock to that speed is important to you and you don't want to take the risk of buying a 'regular' gp2x that might not overclock this high go for it. Bear in mind some of the emulators especially work much better when overclocked to 266Mhz.

Wade through this topic to get a better understanding:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=33694

Basically, if you are willing to pay more for a guaranteed faster unit, go ahead but be aware that it is not a different processor, just a successful overclock. There is no guarantee that every possible app ever made will run at this speed for the life of the device but at least you know you aren't stuck at 200MHz with most programs available today.

If it were me, as I live in Canada (which is closer to you than the UK is!), I would just buy from a North American source since warranty issues are not as rare as I might like (based on posts here) and you may end up with a random unit that goes that fast anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the worst thing that could happen is it would go to 240 instead of 266 if you got one from play asia. They do not seperate theres out. If you will really save a hundred dollars going there then you should definetly do that. 26 mhz of proccesing power has hardly any effect. It is definitely not worth a hundred dollars extra. It isn't 200 vs. 266 its 240 vs. 266.

Also I'm sure as the emulators keep improving fewer of them will need to be overclocked very much at all (especially if the second prcocessor gets used as in Picodrive). And I can't imagine anyone making a GP2x specific game that would require overclocking beyond 240Mhz as that would potentialy stop lots of people from being able to use it.

It's not a different model. It just has a guaranteed overclock ability of 266Mhz.

Explanation:
The process of making CPU and RAM chips is a bit random; with the GP2X, they are absolutely guaranteed to run at 200Mhz as this is what they are rated at. Almost every single GP2X made will overclock to 240Mhz. Beyond this it's just a matter of luck as to how high your GP2X will go. Some stop at 245Mhz, some (rarely) go to 300Mhz.

Conclusion:
Out of the box, ALL GP2X run at 200Mhz. There is no higher rated model.
The marketing pitch that some sellers use is just a sales gimmick for a pre-tested unit guaranteed to run at the stated speed.

Advice:
Buy one from play-asia.com and go with the luck of the draw.
:)

I'm so tired of seeing these threads. Also, my GP2X barley goes up to 245. The only thing that worries me is GBA and PSX emulation, but I doubt PSX well ever be perfect on GP2X anyways.

This is getting rediculous. Craig needs to confirm on his site that it only is overclocking. This is like the 15th person ive seen who thinks its a seperate model. I know Craigs site doesnt lie, it just needs clarification on it.

purple_goat posted on Dec 4 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
please keep in mind a certain president of mine has totally messed up the dollar so its
about $100 less off play-asia/gp2x store than gp2x.co.uk, im also aware i can overclock the regular model

By this, I'm thinking he knows they're both basically the same thing.

I might be wrong though <_<

Hmm... at the 270-275mhz pricing, if you bought a "240mhz" model it might've still ran at 266mhz (the old "standard"). To definitely receive a unit which goes less than that now doesn't seem right...

The GP32 pricing was 133/166, wasn't it?

purple_goat posted on Dec 5 2006 at 12:39 AM said:
about $100 less off play-asia/gp2x store than gp2x.co.uk

With that big a difference in your situation, I really don't think it's worth the extra cash (15 quid, possibly, but US$100? Nope). Go local at one of the two USA stores and take your chances on maximum clockspeed.

I'll wager you'll get at least 260mhz out of a regular model, so I wouldn't bother paying extra (and $100 at that) for six more Mhz.

- Alex

266Mhz is the MagicEyes rating on these. It most likely will still goto 275mhz.

275Mhz is indeed 'overclocked', but it is now listed as 266mhz on the website.

first id like to say thank you all. especially slaanesh for giving me useful info :p

next, i'd like to say that I'm not retarded.
i built the computer that I'm working on right now i have a basic grasp of cpu's,ram,gpu's, etc.
i've researched the gp2x tons and i know that all mk2 models are the same.
play-asia claims to carry the gp2x at 200mhz.
i also belive my question was how much better(edit:eek:ut of the box) is the 266 model.

for example: snes not working on the regular but fine on 266.

thanks so much

Well, I have an MK1 GP2X, bought a month after debut, and I'm able to play SNES just fine, and GNGEO is working constantly at 266 Mhz, and I've not seen my GP2X crash, or become useless quite yet... ;)

I'm glad they've decided to take the lottery out of the equation, because some models used to be able to overclock to higher speeds than others; I'm very glad that I happened upon a 'good' one.

I don't know about buying a GP2X from a seller that has tested the overclockability of a GP2X, and then sells the better ones for more money, while the normal ones are the regular price. I'd say buy one for a cheaper price, and let fate decide your... fate. I've been extremely lucky ordering from Play-Asia, as I got the overclocking GP2X, and out of the 'random' Sega keychains I ordered, I happened to get a Dreamcast and a Genesis... That may not matter to you, but it was a surprise to me!

...Anyway, I'd go for the random, lower-price, rather than the guaranteed 266Mhz. If you would rather spend the money, then go for it. Overclocking reduces the battery life by a huge chunk, so I find myself playing less NeoGeo and more NES or old MAME when the batteries are low.

PS: Nice userbar on top ;)

purple_goat posted on Dec 5 2006 at 07:24 AM said:
play-asia claims to carry the gp2x at 200mhz.

That's the default speed, but Play-Asia's units will go to at least 240mhz, and some up to 300mhz.

for example: snes not working on the regular but fine on 266.

Actually, the difference between 240mhz and 266mhz on SNES is not overly noticable and most games will run just fine at 240.

purple_goat posted on Dec 5 2006 at 07:24 AM said:
i also belive my question was how much better(edit:eek:ut of the box) is the 266 model.
You've already been given the answer - out of the box they are identical. Switch on a 266mhz model or a normal one and they'll both run at 200mhz. Your question isn't out of the box which is better, it's what apps need 266mhz or more to be playable.

thanks to woogal for telling me straight.
and thanks to rayek for the info on mk1 and inspiring me to get from play-asia (the dreamcast r0x0rs)
ps:thanks :p

i think i'll buy from play-asia, thanks!!

craigix posted on Dec 5 2006 at 12:22 AM said:
266Mhz is the MagicEyes rating on these. It most likely will still goto 275mhz.

275Mhz is indeed 'overclocked', but it is now listed as 266mhz on the website.

Well, now I'm confused, Craig. Your site lists the GP2X Console Value Pack as rated at 240Mhz. Given what you just wrote about the MagicEyes rating, shouldn't the value (standard) pack be listed at 266Mhz? And if that's the case, shouldn't an overclocked GP2X be something more like 275Mhz? Have I completely misunderstood something? Thanks.

Back