Hardware 3 pandoras failing to charge

DrHAX

T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist
hey guys.

I know this is a hardware issue because of openning two of them and seeing the charging port loose and the contacts separated from the board.

One of them has three contacts and it's pads torn from the board, one has two contacts loose but one them broke in half and half of the pad is still Attached to the board.
The third one I suspect one or two pads are doing the exact same thing mentioned above.

Is this something I could fix or are these boards screwed?

Only one seems to charge over USB the others refuse to. Hence why they're disassembled in a box I'll see if I can upload a photo of the boards
image.jpg
Here's the one with 3 contacts broken
image.jpg
Here's the one two contacts broken. The third one I have gotten to charge over mini usb for tonight so I'm not eager to strip it apart.. Again.

Well if some of the pads are still left on the broken contacts, then yeah It should be just a matter of resoldering them again to have a good connection again.

Just to be blunt, do you have a habit of tripping over charger cables? or something odd causing a lifting, pulling or pushing action on the Charger jack when it's plugged in?, only way I can see how three devices getting broken like this in a similar manner is if the ports suffered the same kind of action which damaged them.

Well if some of the pads are still left on the broken contacts, then yeah It should be just a matter of resoldering them again to have a good connection again.

Just to be blunt, do you have a habit of tripping over charger cables? or something odd causing a lifting, pulling or pushing action on the Charger jack when it's plugged in?, only way I can see how three devices getting broken like this in a similar manner is if the ports suffered the same kind of action which damaged them.

My fiancée constantly knocks them down when ever they're charging and our recent kitten loves cords. I've constantly have to look for them on the floor since the universe loves to knock them onto it.

I've put them eight different places in my room and it doesn't matter somebody, besides me, always seems to knock them down.

It's infuriating. I knew that's what caused my CC to not charge after picking it up off of the floor when my fiancée knocked it down while looking for her phone.

My fiancée constantly knocks them down when ever they're charging and our recent kitten loves cords. I've constantly have to look for them on the floor since the universe loves to knock them onto it.

I've put them eight different places in my room and it doesn't matter somebody, besides me, always seems to knock them down.

It's infuriating. I knew that's what caused my CC to not charge after picking it up off of the floor when my fiancée knocked it down while looking for her phone.
Looks like it's just going to be a simple re-solder fix, as tripping over would crack some of the small contacts and possibly bend it upwards.

@DrHAX: why not a wall mounted charger? It doesnt have to be expensive. A basket (where you put the device in, so it can not fall out), some screws, and near a power outlet....
The other idea is having a power extention cable. And charge it at YOUR side of the bed...

wall+charger+holder

And if you want to make one out of leather, wife-proof:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Charger-Holder/

I also have one Pandora with charging issues - was solved temporary by spraying some wd40 on the connection, but the problem returned. I might try resoldering as well - even if the connection seems to look fine to me.
There might be cracks in the soldering..
Also have one Pandora that loses a lot of battery juice when it is powered off.

Charging seems to be one of the weaker points of the Pandora. But once it is charged, it lasts for hours :)

That's hilarious and tragic as well. We ALL want these precious devices to live on and be productive for anyone that will want to use one. I am still a goofy kid when I play with my Pandora 1GHz model - I take care of it. Your telling of cat tails are a cautionary tale indeed. I also can't help but think of this...

Luckily I got a 1ghz board to charge over USB turns out my powercord recently got destroyed, and the other 1ghz board the left shoulder button just fell off.

Ugh and the 1 ghz board that does have a working left shoulder has half of a headphone plug broken in it.

My pandoras have been through a lot. I've noticed a lot of people treat them like toys. I've used mine daily and boy I try to baby them but it just isn't in the cards.

Luckily I got a 1ghz board to charge over USB turns out my powercord recently got destroyed, and the other 1ghz board the left shoulder button just fell off.

Ugh and the 1 ghz board that does have a working left shoulder has half of a headphone plug broken in it.

My pandoras have been through a lot. I've noticed a lot of people treat them like toys. I've used mine daily and boy I try to baby them but it just isn't in the cards.
I can empathize with you, Dr. I just can't live like that. I'd rather store my Pandora(s) away, inside of shelves if necessary. Accessible, but secluded...for safety. Your "crash tests" for the Pandora might just be the harshest ever done for this platform.

I can empathize with you, Dr. I just can't live like that. I'd rather store my Pandora(s) away, inside of shelves if necessary. Accessible, but secluded...for safety. Your "crash tests" for the Pandora might just be the harshest ever done for this platform.
So does this mean I get a pyra to crash test?xD

All aside I do bring my pandoras everywhere I've had them for four years and they've been everywhere in rapidly changing climate conditions, humidity factors as well as dropped in snow a few times.

These aren't as if I'm smashing it against the table like a chimpanzee. But just daily use. I wish I had an armored vault I could lob them into, but alas I am not like that.

Also using them for writing I've notice puts a lot of wear and tear on them. I just this last week and a half I threw down 16,000 words into a fresh story on a Pandora. The paint on my silver ones are worn off in many spots from simple hand movements. (why I got 1ghz guts into a black first batch case.)

You guys who game with them and have them be in perfect condition have my envy:'( I use the crap out of mine and after four years of straight use they're starting to show it o_O

Back