3d Resources

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
Back in the long long ago, I used to do a bunch of 3D design using POV-RAY, and I was actually not terrible at it. Times have changed, the tools I was used to are antiques compared to the modern set. I've dabbled with Blender, but have trouble even getting a sphere to appear on the screen.

With the 3D horsepower of the Pandora and Wiz just over the horizon, and most people agreeing that great looking 3D homebrew titles aren't likely to appear due to the man-hours involved in creating the required resources. I starting thinking. What if this community helped collect, create, texture, and animate, a repository of F/OS resources for use by the community.

I look at games like WoW and notice that the characters in the game (all of them) use the same animations, and the items themselves are reskins of the same models, over and over. A catalog of parts like those that appear in games like WoW (Fantasy), Star Wars Galaxies (SciFi), City of Heroes (Modern), etc. would go a long way to help developers create interesting 3D characters for their games, and skeleton animation templates could ease the burden as well. One mesh could make hundreds of different (similar) items thanks to re-textures.

I've tried (and failed miserably I might add) to find other F/OS sources of materials like this, but sites like TurboSquid make Googling for anything like this an arduous task. For now though, perhaps people could list off some of their favorite tutorials, or maybe add some basic Blender/Ogre 3D tutorials to the Pandora Wiki to help budding 3D artists get started.

I know I'm dreaming. If nothing else, maybe some of the tutorials some of you might suggest will re-awaken the 3D artist gene in me and I'll be able to create some resources myself. Believe me, I'll be happy to give up anything I create to the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back