Pandora 3D Tower defence game for the Pandora

foxblock

Asleep
Hi there,

fusion_power on gp32x.de started an interesting discussion about creating a neat 3D tower defence game for the Pandora.

He already made some models and collected ideas, but apart from that nothing has been started, so don't hold your breath.

The main problem right now is the need of somebody to code the actual game (and maybe work together with fusion_power creating the models).

I won't do it because I am not that interested in 3D programming and have too much other stuff going on. (So why am I posting here? Because I like the idea and discussion going on and don't want it to be wasted, also fusion_power asked).

Here is a screenshot of the WIP models:

Read this thread for more info (I won't copy all over here):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/60001-pandora-tower-defense-in-3d/

Nothing is set in stone yet, so I can't summarize any concrete info.

Suggest ideas, start coding or simply

Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone liked stick wars on the iphone, it seems to have been based on the code here:

Tower Defence Game

Perhaps someone is interested in porting it.

Edit: quick port is unlikely because graphics and sound are directx in windows. The game engine may be worth looking at and applied to custom graphics.

I'd so be interested if I wasn't still working on my Werewolves project.

I've been tempted to do a TD game for a while, but one that has multiplayer where you can spend cash to send waves to an enemy as well as upgrading your towers.

Maybe see when I finally get Wolves done

Hey, figured I'd drop a line and say that it looks like I've picked up the code side of this!

If anyone's interested in throwing some ideas or graphics (we need mobs!) into the mix, then you're more than welcome to either here or on the GP32x thread.

Cool Toby! One thing I've always been interested in is a 'reverse Tower Defence' game where you have to direct the flow of the invaders through the paths of each Tower Defence level - designing your engine to allow both defense and attack mode in the gameplay mechanics would be quite interesting, I think!

Cool Toby! One thing I've always been interested in is a 'reverse Tower Defence' game where you have to direct the flow of the invaders through the paths of each Tower Defence level - designing your engine to allow both defense and attack mode in the gameplay mechanics would be quite interesting, I think!

isnt that called an RTS game :) but with attack/devence stripped from each party (attacker vs deffendor).

There's something like that for DSi. Libera Wing, I think.

Also, thanks Toby! Maybe I can do some sound effects once the graphics get going?

something fun ive enjoyed in the warcraft 3 tower defense game, you can also have a hero that can move around, level up, gain new attacks/magic spells thats also for hire, maybe have multiple ones for hire along side your towers that are at a standstill and only attack from where you place them, something to keep in mind

There was a game like this on Steam a few weeks back, Anomaly, which is the basic idea of what you suggested. Control the mobs and trying to destroy all the towers. Was pretty fun too, but I didn't have the time to pick it up when I played the demo (though I would recommend!)

Also, thanks Toby! Maybe I can do some sound effects once the graphics get going?
Sorry I didn't remember about this thread until now, but that sounds ace :) Shall I give you a shout once it's gotten to that point?

Speaking of graphics, I could really use a hand on them! I've posted an update over here with a few screenshots since progress is going really well... but I can't art! If anyone's interested in helping out with the 3D towers/mobs and 2D menus, please give me a shout :)

Sorry I didn't remember about this thread until now, but that sounds ace :) Shall I give you a shout once it's gotten to that point?

Sure. Just know that Bfxr makes chiptune-esque sounds, though I could probably work some tricks.

I also just found this Thread here. ^^

Yes, I can do Towers but for Mobs and such stuff, someone with more Talent should do this to make it right. I also would not have any Problem if he would also do better looking towers if he can. :)

Fusion_Power, I just want to drop here and say. You are quite good artist, both the sprites on wars thread and the models in this thread put me into awe.

Too bad the programmer was already found. I would have all the things needed in my OGL/GLES framework, including skeletal animation for mobs.

Well maybe good thing, as I'm currently busy with RL.

• Play Future Cop L.A.P.D. in multiplayer-mode.
  • Copy it.
  • ???
  • Profit!

The idea of units spawning from each base, in a VS tower defence battle is awesome. Add to that a player controller unit which can kick some additional ass, and you've got perfection.

Fusion_Power, I just want to drop here and say. You are quite good artist, both the sprites on wars thread and the models in this thread put me into awe.

Too bad the programmer was already found. I would have all the things needed in my OGL/GLES framework, including skeletal animation for mobs.

Well maybe good thing, as I'm currently busy with RL.
I'm not Apple or Microsoft, you also can use the Tower Models of me for free if you want. :D As more Projects as better, may the best one win. ^^

You also could join your forces with Tobs, I'm always for Teamwork. My Tower Models are actualy more or less just an graphical visualisation of what could be. If there are more talented Artists out there, they can make it better, I have no problem with that if it doesn't fit in an actual game. :)

OGL/GLES sounds great, I really would like to see what is possible with this. My only with for an 3D Tower Defense Game actualy is, that it runs decent on the Pandora, no Overclocking should be needed and this means full speed at 600MHz standard. Thats why I made my 3D models as simple as possible for example. The rest is up to the Dev, it is not my game or anything, I just give Ideas. You made your TD game like you want or whatever. ;)

I also posted this in the other Forum as Inspiration/brainstorming for another TD game, I found this on the web, a free 3D Tower Defense/RPG Demo, INCLUDING SOURCE CODE! B)

http://www.udk.com/s...dungeon-defense

It is based on the Unreal Development Kit, I know this is a PC thing but there also is a iOS version available so it actualy can run on a mobile device. :)

Edit: The game is crap. :( No chance to survive 1 Minute because enemies come from all sites to attack your Cristal in the center of the map and you can't build anything useful somehow. Good example how a game shouldn't be: to hard at the beginning and to frustrating. A TD game I would like should start much more stressfree. manual wave starting is a must. ^^

Back