7" Pixel Qi Screen Pandora

Grench

Forum Addict!
In my humble opinion, the screen is the #1 feature on any portable electronic device. Yes, we have a lot of other important features that I would not give up, but the screen is #1.

If Pixel Qi can ever create our size, that would be cool. That is probably years out though at their rate of development.

Or... Pixel Qi is supposed to be sending engineering samples now for their new 7" display.

A 7" Pixel Qi screen Pandora.

-Use a 7" Pixel Qi daylight readable, color with back light screen.

-Minimize the screen bezel as much as possible. This will dictate the overall length and width of the device.

-Use the same motherboard as the existing Pandora but needs the proposed nub sockets.

-Split the keypad into left/right halves (yes, that is two new keypads) and position them near the outer edges.

-Using sockets, reposition the nubs out to match the keyboard. Yes, this will leave a big blank space in the center of the lower console.

-Put a center speaker in the gap between the keyboard halves.

-Put Left/Right speakers in the front of the base to the left/right of the centered motherboard. NOT on screen side - minimize bezel.

-Use two battery packs, one to each side of the motherboard.

-Since the motherboard is no longer stacked on top of the battery, the device could be thinner. Every mm counts.

So, with the same motherboard and primary components it is not a NEW device, but a 2nd form factor for the existing device. No software fragmentation.

If/when the OPL team ever builds an upgraded motherboard - if that motherboard fits in the standard Pandora form factor, then it should fit into this form factor as well. I think the implications to that are fairly clear.

Remember, this would not fragment. It would simply be a 2nd form factor with a larger (and daylight readable ultra low power) screen. The same software and primary hardware components would remain the same.

So, when can I pre-order one of these $500 beauties for 2012 delivery?

*facepalm

Do you have anything more constructive or were you born a troll?

Is it the 7" form factor that you don't like or what specifically? This isn't an "Add a X86 processor" thread. It isn't a "remove keyboard & nubs and make it a tablet" thread.

So, since you know so much as to be condescending without remarks, please educate me.

i'm sure a lot of people would be interested, more than the 4.3" version :)

im sure more people would be interested if we removed the keyboard, changed the touch screen, shortened the battery life, removed the usb ports, removed the sd card slots, and put a picture of a fruit on the back of it

im sure more people would be interested if we removed the keyboard, changed the touch screen, shortened the battery life, removed the usb ports, removed the sd card slots, and put a picture of a fruit on the back of it

SUCCESS!

ipad-1.jpeg

I think with the OMAP4 we're about to see an enlarged market for all kinds of form factors powered by ARM. I don't know how open they'll be but my guess is over time as they become more standard parts it will be like locking down an x86 device, impossible. So theoretically you should be able to install whatever OS you want.

I hope the OP team stick to the formula they have right now for the second Pandora, same size and controls just updated processor and an HDMI port.

not sure at all. pandora and ipad have not the same purpose

but effectively i wonder if pixel qi screens are tactiles.

if yes, the grench's proposition is good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
These threads, no matter how grounded in some sort of vague concept of sanity, are always going to be wishful thinking. This is no more "constructive" than X86 processor or tablet threads. In fact, it's less so.

For example. I'm fairly sure that the idea of a tablet form factor actually originated with Craig, or at least was suitably reinforced by him when it was first suggested and the response was something to the tune of "we'll consider other form factors." I wouldn't say the tablet is a good idea, though.

Similarly, a console-like Pandora may be a possibility in the distant future- although I imagine the alternate form factor idea will probably be left until the second generation of Pandora units, when the business has matured and has the capital to embark upon such projects- not to mention that a stronger, more relevant and modern core to their products would be a much better basis for diversification.

With iControlPad almost in the bag, and representing a very viable bluetooth controller for a console-style Pandora, this is probably the most probable evolution. But, again, it's all speculation and wishful thinking.

Thinking purely logically and sensibly, If I were OpenPandora I'd take the knowledge, supply chains, manufacturing processes and assets I already have, and use those to develop another very distinct product- if I were going to do anything at all other than churning out regular Pandoras and R&Ding Pandora 2 for the next 2 years.

I would not create such a direct competitor, and such a huge crossover in my product lineup- that's just asking for trouble, and it's not really viable for a small company to stock, support and manage multiple variations of a single product.

So, if anything, expect a Pandora console. Otherwise, expect nothing. The Pandora may have been developed with community input, but that doesn't mean they're going to expend the time and effort building the supply chains, experience and manufacturing processes to slap together any suggestion you might postulate.

You're welcome to hack it together yourself, though.

Back