A Familiar Hell

(naw)mcx

Rotary Wombat
Website
www.godlikemcx.deviantart.com
Almost Pandora related,
http://gizmodo.com/5494572/joojoos-refunds-smell-awfully-fishy

Remember this? Bank Transfer this, and bank transfer that.
We will have a direct transfer done to your bank account. If you could
provide us the details today, we will ensure that the refund hits your bank
account by friday of this week.

Nice to see we came out the other side runnning jogging strolling.

I've heard sellers having problem with their entire Paypal accounts getting frosen. Paypal is not a bank and thus the normal rules for banks do not apply to them. I would not use it for a company.

Awakening said:
I've heard sellers having problem with their entire Paypal accounts getting frosen. Paypal is not a bank and thus the normal rules for banks do not apply to them. I would not use it for a company.
Doesn't Paypal have a bank status? Otherwise they aren't allowed to do business in the EU if I'm not mistaken.

But I agree with you about not using it for a company. It's the same as buying from a 'company' with a hotmail account. Scam nerves start twitching ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
To avoid any further wait time, could you send us your bank name, bank
account name, bank account number, sort or swift code and your bank address.

???
I don't think there's anything fishy about those details. Common practice, I think. With those details you can only SEND money. Right? Isn't that pretty much what we had to know for ordering the Pandora?

I've had more lengthy goofing around by the companies I've purchased from. Expansys is one great (infamous) example.

And I know Pandora is taking its time, but at least it doesn't have those refund issues. Those things have gone quite smoothly, right?

The Expansys story for those who are interested:
They goofed around the first two months, back and forth, always something wrong. And never voluntary, I had to be the proactive one. Eventually they sent the goods. In the end, they also owed me about 40 euros for things they couldn't deliver at all (although they said they had 20+ of some of them on stock, others 5+) and for compensation of the phone's pricing going down and being late for two months (which was also supposed to be on stock, not a new model either). Then it took them another 2 months to realize they don't refund sums below 50 euros, so I would have to buy something from them. Shipping costs alone were about 17 euros. I think they assume people would put more money down the line, which I didn't. I simply bought some useless junk for the remaining money. Fortunately that took only 2 weeks.

All in all, I had to deal with them for nearly six months for an order they promised would take 5-7 days. Won't be buying from there again... And 3/11-rule stands.

aatu said:
???
I don't think there's anything fishy about those details. Common practice, I think. With those details you can only SEND money. Right? Isn't that pretty much what we had to know for ordering the Pandora?
With a personal account, that information plus a fake ID will allow you to empty the account.

Well, as a company, you can get money from a bank account if you got those details, yes.
I can do so - it's not legal to do it, but I could do so.

What puzzles me most is that PayPal refunding problem.
I NEVER had a problem with PayPal to refund money. Only if the transaction is older than 60 days and they don't have any money on their account.

Let's see how this turns out.

Yes, production can be a nightmare sometimes - but still all I want is to be honest to you guys. And that will continue, even if it is such a major failure that I lose everything I have. :)

Another familliar hell:

The not-so-good news is, that the plastic cases have more delay. The Chinese company sometimes makes some promises that they are breaking afterwards. Yesterday I received a message that the new samples will be shipped on the 10th of March, while they had previously promised to send 100 cases upfront on Feb 25. I pressed them to send at least 100 pieces on, or before that date. The good news about the cases is, that they will be black and not cream! I noticed that a lot of you have a strong preference for black. They will be produced using the PA material, enforced with glass fiber. :)

Made me giggle a little
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 112
Eight Bit said:
Another familliar hell:

The not-so-good news is, that the plastic cases have more delay. The Chinese company sometimes makes some promises that they are breaking afterwards. Yesterday I received a message that the new samples will be shipped on the 10th of March, while they had previously promised to send 100 cases upfront on Feb 25. I pressed them to send at least 100 pieces on, or before that date. The good news about the cases is, that they will be black and not cream! I noticed that a lot of you have a strong preference for black. They will be produced using the PA material, enforced with glass fiber. :)

Made me giggle a little
smile.gif

Oh man. I was freaking out until I read where it was from. That hits a little too close to home. :lol:

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 93
Eight Bit said:
Another familliar hell:

Made me giggle a little
smile.gif
Please don't do that again, you scared me to hell.

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 92
Zotty said:
But I agree with you about not using it for a company. It's the same as buying from a 'company' with a hotmail account. Scam nerves start twitching ;)

Yeah, same goes for GMail. Oh, wait :p

atomicthumbs said:
Paypal is garbage.

I don't agree on a simple consumer based customer, who just buys some goods on Amazon or eBay (like me), but PayPal is widely know for scamming bigger "companies" when they start to make too much money are have a lot in their bank account (a recent example is the foobar2000 donation account). They do that for some time now and seem to get away with it pretty nicely (which makes me wondering)... Well at least I would not use it for an business account, sadly there barely is another option for developers to easily call for donations.

foxblock out

Last month, I went to make a payment via paypal, and for some reason my bank account was greyed out. It was still there, but it wasn't selectable as a payment option, so I had to pay with credit card.
I sent an email asking why it was greyed out. I got a letter back telling me how to add a bank account to my paypal account.
I sent back again, why is this option not available? Got back a response which literally said "for security reasons".
By this time, whatever the problem was had cleared and my bank account was once again available as a payment option, but now I'm a little freaked out. "What security reasons? Did someone hack my account? Was there an issue with payment on my back account?"
"We've disabled your bank account for security reasons." "It's not disabled anymore, but now I'm freaked out about using it. What security reasons?1?!?!?"
"We've disabled it for security reasons, and we're closing the ticket"
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
So now I don't use paypal.
Seriously, I'm happy when my accounts are flagged for potential security violations. It means they're watching out for me, and I'd sooner have a false positive than an emptied bank account. Just tell me why you think it was suspicious! Saying "trust me, you don't need to know" is a surefire way to get someone to not trust you.

Eight Bit said:
Another familliar hell:

Made me giggle a little
smile.gif
They also had some trouble with the Quality of the Plastic Cases, actualy, the same like the Pandora has/had. They found out, that the ABS Plastic is the problem itself, the Solution seems to be the usage of "PA" plastic, which really looks better onto the Photos. I wonder if this could be also an option for the Pandora-Case (in the future) but I don't know it ths "PA" plastic maybe is to weak or to soft for using as a Handheld-Case.

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    699 bytes · Views: 98
@Craig - From the things I've read on various "PayPal Horror Story" sorts of sites, along with other anecdotes, I've gotten the impression that PayPal can be somewhat random in how they apply restrictions. Some of the stories from alleged former PayPal employees on PayPalSucks.com (for example) struck me as a bit of an eye-opener on that front.

Back