A fresh new start, Part 2 (2011-07-12)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As promised, here is another blog entry, this time mainly focussing on Batch 2 and the future production.

Yesterday evening, I had a meeting with the guys behind the OpenMoko GTA04.

They have nothing to do with the previous OpenMoko hardware development, they basically built an OMAP3-PCB which fits into the OpenMoko shell.

Their PCB has similar production specs (same SoC, 8 layers, etc.) as ours, they basically live round the corner and they offered to help me (thanks a lot!)

They already have some prototype boards running (looks like a nice Linux-geek-phone to me, if you want to check it out, go to their website), which means they already found a company that can handle the production.

The meeting I had with them yesterday was a very promising one. Nikolaus, the main guy behind the GTA04, knows a lot more about PCB production than we do and therefore gave me some

contacts to some companies as well as some insider tips.

We also chatted about our experiences with CircuitCo and Nikolaus had some ideas why we had so many different issues with boards.

Additionally, he told me, that normally a proper production run should have a failure rate of about 3%. And from those 3%, some PCBs are fixable.

So far, CC had a failure rate of about 20% (even some more, if I count the ones I fixed because some parts like the volume wheel simply weren't properly soldered).

Not very impressive, so I'm even more eager now to found suitable partners.

Michael Weston sent me the latest gerber files and BoM (Bill of Materials, basically a big list of all needed components) last week.

So I'm now prepared to approach some companies and get the thing rolling properly!

If, however, you know some companies who are reliable and can do such productions as well (and which are at least located in Europe, Germany would be even better), feel free to contact me!

The more quotations I get, the more choices I have and the more I can discuss about the prices with some companies.

Let's get this thing going!

I think getting advice from the OpenMoko GTA04 guys sounds perfect. Best of luck in approaching these manufacturers. I really want to see a Pandora 2 one day, so I hope this can be a good ongoing working relationship for Open Pandora. Thanks again for the updates ED, as always, makes waiting easier.

to negociate the prices you can say something like "i know a cheap and serious company named CC, i could contact them for the job, so decrease your prices and i will choose your company" :p

20% :eek:

Well F me in the A! From the way you and Craig were talking, I'd assumed the failure rate was around 5%: a little high but not unreasonable. 20% is so far beyond acceptable I just don't know what you were thinking, anymore. This change is so very long overdue. :(

Michael Weston sent me the latest gerber files and BoM (Bill of Materials, basically a big list of all needed components) last week.

I already have my Pandora (Day 2 order, 2.5 years to get) so this will not benefit me directly but...

Since we're rebooting with another company - any chance the batch 2 Pandoras could have an updated WiFi replacement chip with better throughput, range and maybe 802.11n?

Could that be done without radically redesigning the motherboard?

I.e. fix this little annoyance issue - if it can be changed inexpensively, there is no reason batch 2 should have to suffer with this chip/solution as us early batch 1 did/are.

Why the hell are you waisting time telling us for? Get on with it! :p

posted from pandora. I love this thing you guys have made here. A big well done.

Thanks for the updates.

Good luck in your search for a new producer of the boards.

Questions are - what are you going to do if CC will put relay slow peace on rest of their work (aka "Whatever"/"I don't care" rule) and you will start Batch2 when Batch1 is not finished yet? Are you going to postpone Batch2 or move all missing orders from Batch1 to Batch2 as first orders and use rest of Batch1 as future "premiums"?

PS.

EveliDragon, you should get a good lawyer with a knowledge of US federal law before that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe the shit that's getting thrown at you. Keep on keeping on. My order's still there and not going anywhere.

best wishes to me, that you guys find a new board population company quick and my Openpandora arrives to me soon.

I love my pandora, and any company owner who has a chance of trying one will know that they're onto a winner by backing you. This has to be a major plus point in being able to sell it - the fact there's already a base of satisfied customers.

While a 20% failure rate sounds very high, at least 50% of the UK population are total failures, and the few that do work do it badly and the ones that work well are usually foreign. Processing in an NHS Pain Management Clinic takes an eternity, and I've concluded it's more painful trying to get a f-ing appointment than coping with excruciating ailments.

I say get the Germans to make the boards, we all know they do things efficiently. I'll lay off jokes on German efficiency for now, but I'm delighted to have opened the door for anyone who fancies it....

Well done Ed, you are a trooper.

Sounds good to me. This may mean batch 2 is finished in a decent amount of time. Here's hoping things go smoothly with whatever new company that's chosen!

Changing companies sounds like a good idea, it seems that the project could get a second wind now with a better production company behind it.

Keep up the good work, our orders are still standing and not going anywhere.

Thanks for keeping up!

Now you have to design a "Deutsche qualität" sticker for batch 2 Pandoras.

Questions are - what are you going to do if CC will put relay slow peace on rest of their work (aka "Whatever"/"I don't care" rule) and you will start Batch2 when Batch1 is not finished yet? Are you going to postpone Batch2 or move all missing orders from Batch1 to Batch2 as first orders and use rest of Batch1 as future "premiums"?

Well, of course we'll follow the queue.

If Batch 2 is faster than Batch 1, the Batch 1 customers will get a Pandora from Batch 2.

PS.

EveliDragon, you should get a good lawyer with a knowledge of US federal law before that ;)

I can't do anything here, I never had a contract with CC.

Craig is the one who can sue them, and AFAIK, he already has some lawyers at hand if need be.

I already got some very promising looking replies from some production facilities, one is just 45 minutes away from me. So in case any issues arise, I could just visit them :)

I'll probably visit them next week :)

I already got some very promising looking replies from some production facilities, one is just 45 minutes away from me. So in case any issues arise, I could just visit them :)

I'll probably visit them next week :)

:) knock on the door and hand their boss a pandora, they won't be able to resist making them

Last edited by a moderator:
To Evildragon... I know off topic... Tried to PM you about an RMA ... ???

I know, it's not lost :)

Still way behind with my PMs and mails. Just going to repair about 5 Pandoras right now, will try to reply to all PMs and eMails until early next week.

Back