(A)Gps Data Reception From Phones

twent4

Still Fresh
I've been doing some googling and cannot find a 100% certain answer to this: can devices which have GPS clients (say, pandora or a netbook with google maps) receive corrected GPS data from phones with aGPS receivers? I just got an N97 Mini which i figure would be a great companion to the Pandora, but i like our little handheld's larger screen better for displaying navigation. I found a "bluetooth" option under the GPS settings, but i cannot for the life of me figure out if it is an input or output connection.

You'll need drivers and accompanying software then some testing time. It should be fine if you can send the co-ords to Pandora.

twent4 said:
I've been doing some googling and cannot find a 100% certain answer to this: can devices which have GPS clients (say, pandora or a netbook with google maps) receive corrected GPS data from phones with aGPS receivers? I just got an N97 Mini which i figure would be a great companion to the Pandora, but i like our little handheld's larger screen better for displaying navigation. I found a "bluetooth" option under the GPS settings, but i cannot for the life of me figure out if it is an input or output connection.

It's input. There is however a free symbian app that does just what you want. I've used it with my n95 and laptop. Can't remember the name right now though :D

So the answer is yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's input. There is however a free symbian app that does just what you want. I've used it with my n95 and laptop. Can't remember the name right now though :D

So the answer is yes.

Absolutely brilliant! Having "n95" in the google criteria helped: SymarcticExtGPS. Thanks!

edit: my html was showing

twent4 said:

So the answer is yes.

Absolutely brilliant! Having "n95" in the google criteria helped: SymarcticExtGPS. Thanks!

edit: my html was showing

Yes, ExtGPS was the one :). You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
And in case that app discriminates based on OS version, etc... there is a Python Bluetooth GPS passthrough thing as well, which should work on most Nokias with the features. Here's a couple links:
http://gagravarr.org/code/
http://gagravarr.livejournal.com/134849.html

my phone can get some triangular position by the gps stuff.
and show my position on google maps with like, 2 km accuracy.

Anyway to send this over BT? :p

Back