A "squares" Game

oneandoneis2

Website
www.oneandoneis2.org
I've no idea if this game is played elsewhere in the world, but it was popular when I was a kid in school.. We played it on paper, but the GP2X controls could almost have been designed for it. So I figured I'd suggest it, in case anybody's looking for a game idea :)

The game's simple: You draw up a grid of dots, with as many squares as you like in it, e.g. 8x8:

Code:
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .

And then you take it in turns to draw lines between two dots:

Code:
 ._. . . . . . .
 ._. . | . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . | . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . ._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .

And so on. The goal is to try and complete a square, but the tricky thing is, you can only do so when your opponent leaves you a space containing three lines, which he will, of course, do his utmost to avoid doing.

When you complete a square, it's marked as "your" square and you're allowed another go, with which you can hopefully complete another square, and thus gain yet another go. So if, for instance, you had this grid and it was your go:

Code:
 ._. . . . . . .
 ._. . | . . . .
 . . ._._. . . .
 . . | | | . . .
 . . |_._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . ._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .

You could complete a square:

Code:
 ._. . . . . . .
 ._. . | . . . .
 . . ._._. . . .
 . . | |_| . . .
 . . |_._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . ._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .

take another go, and complete yet another square:

Code:
 ._. . . . . . .
 ._. . | . . . .
 . . ._._. . . .
 . . | |_| . . .
 . . |_|_| . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . ._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .

And yet another:

Code:
 ._. . . . . . .
 ._. . | . . . .
 . . ._._. . . .
 . . |_|_| . . .
 . . |_|_| . . .
 . . . . . . . .
 . . . ._| . . .
 . . . . . . . .

and then you'd have to place one more line, without it completing a square. And so on, until all squares are filled. The winner is the player who completes the most squares.

The GP2X controls should lend themselves really well to the game: Use the joystick to navigate to a square, and then the ABXY buttons to indicate that you want to place a line to the left, right, bottom, or top of that square. Shade each completed square with a color to indicate which player completed it. It could be played against the computer, or against another player (or even players), and with a grid of almost any size.

It's one of those games that you can learn in seconds and play for hours. . .

Yeah - we played this in school, we drew our first initital in the box when we conquered it, we always played it in maths. I'd love this for the GP2X, only if it had A.I though, and customisable game size :)

I have played a game verry similar to this, called SOS its the same thing except more like tic-tac-toe but way more advanced

Back