A_69_5.STT!!!

Feeblez

i just pressed SELECT to get a game list up for A_69_5.STT
(so many games on this disk it screws up the dialog box!)

next second my gp32 resets itself and the boot animation and sound effects are playing at ludicrous speed! :lol:

i panicked a bit and turned it off quick! :huh:

i guess it was still clocked @133mhz? :D

*g* The current dialog system only handles a screenfull of options, and the games database lookup code doesn't like more than 20 games on a disk. If you exceed one of these things, good luck ;)

009 should have a better disk picker; the dialog system will be extended to allow arbitrary numbers of options, with a scrollbar so you know how far up/down you are, so shoudl work fine for that sort of thing. Just didn't have a chance to do it yet :)

jeff

So far as a "fast disk" bug is concerned, there's a simple way to test if its at 133 or above - just get someone who's CPU can't handle above 133 to run it for a few moments... I might try it (I know mine handls it at 320x200, but not the full screen. At least not for anything more than 10 mins).

Also, interestingly, this sounds very similar to a bug I experienced using an adventure game on my PC - the Companions of Xanth game - whereby I ran it, and it went fine, but once I quit, windows was running at least 5x its normal speed. In every way - program loading and sound playing. Since my computer didn't die from overheating (and I'd have expected it to if it was being overclocked), I used it to speed up things like web surfing, flash movies (without sound only), and newer games. Bizarre bug, but 'twas very useful. If we've run into the same thing here and its recreatable, think of the possible benefits lol. Smash into it as a routine at the start of, say, a SNES emu and you get some bizarre speed increase that's completely unexplainable.

Of course, it could be simply that more of the CPU was being directed towards the task at hand (i.e. browsing the web), which seems more likely than a sudden jump in performance with no consequences... anyone more experienced than I in these things, ever heard of anything similar?

Happened several times, btw, but not all the time... try it out with Xanth and see what happenns lol.

Thats just how the GP32 works.. Castaway runs at 132MHz always. The new 008.2 has a reboot GP32 option that clocks back down to 66MHz and reboots normally.

If you crash the GP32 while clocked, it'll come back up clocked.. the built in firmware doesn't unclock it on reset.

So the sounds and menu assume certain timings.. but its running twice as dfast.. so the fiormware comes up running twice as fast as normal.

No side effects except for apps which don't set the clock :)

I usually turn off/on when gp32 apps do this (I've had most emus do this at some poinr ot another :), just to be safe, but shouldn't hurt.

jeff

Back