Adding Usb Gamepad Support To Vice-gp2x

paul_nicholls

Still Fresh
Hi all,
Sorry, but I wasn't sure if this should be in the Emulation or Homebrew forums.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1. how do I rebuild the VICE 1.22 source code for the gp2x if I manage to do any modifications to it?
I have got the source code, and I have the devkitGP2X + code:blocks 8.02 if this helps.

2. does anyone know if it is possible to access USB gamepads, etc. using Rlyeh's Minimal Library SDK? This is what the VICE emulator uses when reading the gp2x controls.

I have a cradle for my gp2x and also now have a USB Logitech precision gamepad. This works with the latest version of MAME (MAME4ALL), and if possible I would like to try adding this kind of support to the VICE C-64 emulator (at least).

I figure that mapping gamepad buttons, etc. to the gp2x controls would be the way to go on this as this is how MAME does it I noticed.

Any pointers or hints would be great :)

cheers,
Paul

Paul Nicholls said:
Hi all,
Sorry, but I wasn't sure if this should be in the Emulation or Homebrew forums.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1. how do I rebuild the VICE 1.22 source code for the gp2x if I manage to do any modifications to it?
I have got the source code, and I have the devkitGP2X + code:blocks 8.02 if this helps.

2. does anyone know if it is possible to access USB gamepads, etc. using Rlyeh's Minimal Library SDK? This is what the VICE emulator uses when reading the gp2x controls.

I have a cradle for my gp2x and also now have a USB Logitech precision gamepad. This works with the latest version of MAME (MAME4ALL), and if possible I would like to try adding this kind of support to the VICE C-64 emulator (at least).

I figure that mapping gamepad buttons, etc. to the gp2x controls would be the way to go on this as this is how MAME does it I noticed.

Any pointers or hints would be great :)

cheers,
Paul

Ok, I have downloaded and looked at the MAME source code - I THINK I know how I can possibly add USB gamepad, etc. support to VICE, but I still need to know how to rebuild the files...

cheers,
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were to add USB keyboard support - it would be amazing! GP2X would be a fully functioning C64!

Paul Nicholls said:
Hi all,
Probally the easiest way is use the makefiles in a linux environment. I have personally have 2 dev setups one for windows codeblocks and one for linux (i have mine in vmware).
For example I use the linux setup for dosbox since it has all of the makefiles. You could use mingw/cygwin but Ive never had success doing it way, especially when the source needs things from the configure operation.

Pickle said:
Paul Nicholls said:
Hi all,
Probally the easiest way is use the makefiles in a linux environment. I have personally have 2 dev setups one for windows codeblocks and one for linux (i have mine in vmware).
For example I use the linux setup for dosbox since it has all of the makefiles. You could use mingw/cygwin but Ive never had success doing it way, especially when the source needs things from the configure operation.

I can compile the guyfawks sdl example with code::blocks, I am just not sure how I can build the vice2x emulator using this program.

cheers,
Paul

Paul Nicholls said:
Pickle said:
Paul Nicholls said:
Hi all,

I can compile the guyfawks sdl example with code::blocks, I am just not sure how I can build the vice2x emulator using this program.

cheers,
Paul

I dont know if its possible but it may be to import or run the existing makefiles.
The only other way I know will take time / trial and error:

1. Add files recursively
2. Try to compile
3. Most likely the above will fail because of missing headers. Add the paths in the build option. This may be libraries and/or vice headers.
4. Go back to step 2

Now this method assumes you have all the libraries you need. Thats usually where the confgure command comes in. You also may be missing headers i.e config.h which is built from the configure command. Best bet there is hope its in the previously built vice source.

I think global USB gamepad to native GP2X controller hack/remapper would be great.

Back