Advertising The Pandora

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I was wondering how the pandora would be marketed,once there is enough pandys to meet demand.
Advert in magazines.Websites.Does openpandora have much money for ads.Wonder how much a colour ad in a
major magazine,linux mag or technology mags.Could the openpandora community help with this.
Maybe we could actively spread the word.Just a thought.

There will never be enough Pandas to meet the demand.
They are built to order, in small batches. Advertising is made by word of mouth.
B!

Think there's gonna be a lot of WOM.

It's going to be a while before there's enough supply to meet demand through WOM, let alone having to worry about advertising!

wrath of khan said:
I was wondering how the pandora would be marketed,once there is enough pandys to meet demand.
Advert in magazines.Websites.Does openpandora have much money for ads.Wonder how much a colour ad in a
major magazine,linux mag or technology mags.Could the openpandora community help with this.
Maybe we could actively spread the word.Just a thought.

I think OP is already doing very well between YouTube, word-of-mouth, and free press articles. The Pandora targets a niche market; I don't think an ambitious advertising campaign would really help it that much in addition to the free press it is already recieving, the demo videos, and the earnest enthusiasm of 4000+ users and developers. Still, OP may have other plans, for all I know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the net is an obvious one.We could actively do this as a community.Who knows maybe openpandora
have advertising plans.Time will tell

A fullsize page in a small local newspaper costs more then a few Pandoras! They are much better off sending units out to popular reviewers, articles have a much better impact then advertisements and I can only imagine the impact of a video review.

I don't think it's something that they need to worry about right now, I think the advertising can grow as the pandora grows. I really think (hope) it's going to explode though, once people start getting them. Then hopefully OP will have the means to up the production budget and pump them out faster to meet demand.

Yeah of course reviews and free coverage will be great.I try to spread info by word of mouth.Excited about the pandora.

I think an article in a major tech magazine would be a real boost.

Jourdy288 said:
I think an article in a major tech magazine would be a real boost.
There are no "major" tech magazines. Print is dead, especially in the tech sector. More potential Pandora customers read Engadget than any five paper magazines you care to name. Sending review units to well-read tech blogs and review sites will do far, far more to sell Pandoras than paid advertising ever could. No point in throwing money away on ads when good reviews will sell it for free.

I think I'd rather keep the niche status of the Pandora, for a good while at least.

I like it very much and all, but it seems to me the popularity of it will only grow slowly. The production capability of OpenPandora will/should also grow slowly.

IMO, rushing it and going for maximum number of sales will eventually mean Pandora shedding it's niche caracteristics in order to gain more popularity. I don't think that is a positive change. It will end up just like other popular devices, with all the popular caracteristics, but with little or nothing unique about it.

Worst case scenario is something going seriously wrong with an attempt at a huge batch, leading to disastrous consequences for OpenPandora and probably spelling the end for Pandora itself. That would be most unfortunate.

Yoyobuae said:
It will end up just like other popular devices, with all the popular caracteristics, but with little or nothing unique about it.
Low sales numbers don't make a device unique, imo. I don't need a collector's item. I agree on the necessity of a solid financial basis without large debts, though.

I think word of mouth will be the most powerful way of advertisement, because every time I tell someone about it they are all ready to place an order...an just wait till people see it and see what it can actually do!...I might need to start packin heat :unsure:

mali said:
Yoyobuae said:
It will end up just like other popular devices, with all the popular caracteristics, but with little or nothing unique about it.
Low sales numbers don't make a device unique, imo. I don't need a collector's item. I agree on the necessity of a solid financial basis without large debts, though.
I agree. It would be nice if the current Pandora becomes popular, and to some degree it'll definitely will. I just don't see it getting the kind of popularity level that would make advertisement campaigns and such worth the expense.

Putting a Pandora link in the signature while spamming other boards is the way to go. IIRC it was Karel Jansen's signature on the maemo boards where I first read about Pandora.

Back