Advice on making money

zonova

Hey guys, I thought I would run this question by you. I'm in the US and I've been programming for about 5 years, though I've never really done a full project. I'm in college and I need to make money, and I'd like to be able to do it with programming. I looked into freelancing, but a lot of those sites seem to be quite filled with people whose profiles already have very high ratings, so it would be very difficult for me to get any jobs(I think). I was also thinking about app creation, though it makes me a bit nervous because it seems like it would involve some big projects and I don't know if I can do it. I also don't know where to start on that end. Would you guys have any advice? Whether it's on where I should start or what I could do. Just to be clear, I can program in Java, C/C++, and python.

Get a job at a services company, and get some experience on a real project. The "I've never really done a full project" is going to be an issue to become a freelancer.

So I would get some hands-on experience first, then when you feel comfortable in your abilties you can think of being a freelancer.

... good points, but also visibility. Some would want to do a background check on you, after they know you can do the job (have knowledge in xyz), just to see if you are reliable.

Most freelance is word of mouth, which in web-terms means you need a good contacts list, there is a facebook kind of thing for work, called linked-in. There you can expose your professional achievements.

http://linkedin.com/

Before you put any text on that, browse similar skilled people. Try to grasp the language, keywords, etc they use. Mimic that. Some actually put their kindergarten in there, which is not that professional. Once you've done one "real project", ask key people to comment on that and recommend you. Build karma, as it were.

If you are going to post a pic, dress for success, smile, but do not grin, slant your head slightly sideways, gives you an edge.

And your skillset is: Java, Python, C, C++. Cython and Jython. but certainly also bash, ksh, some editors like VC, and find a list of versions (skilled in Python 3) and Java libs/frameworks (just putting java will not do)

Then, you need to shout loud, like the fishermen in the market, to sell your skills, in web-terms, freelancer.com or similar (which, you've already checked out, as you commented about that)

As for directions into the future, say 10 years from now... note that we are starting the automation revolution. This is similar to the industrial revolution. And being similar, it means that 60% of the current jobs will disappear. You have probably seen it in action. Baristas are machines now. Self scanning in supermarkets (actually, supermarkets want you to buy online), robots that can learn to do things (as opposed to the dumb 1-trick-pony robots), big-data analyzers (you've probably heared what Google is doing, but check out Watson. Big-data from medicinal health linked to AI makes a doctor that never sleeps; with all the internet data, it basically is Sky-net). Even In news, there is news that is written by algorithms. Which means it is posted faster on the news sites, and is indistinguishable from human posts (for example, data from an earthquake is processed, and posted near-realtime). Taxi's will have no driver (you've seen Google cars, right?).

What I am saying is, find that trend and get on the wave. Stay out of your comfort zone. If you think you can do webpages... expand into unknowns, keep doing that, use another product to try to do the same. Now you can give your expertise on which is better for that particular customer.

Write good code (must be robust, clean, but complex enough that they want to hire you again for modifications) , and your name and email inside it, so that when it is time to update it, they can reach you, even if it is 20 years later.

And you need to distinguish yourself. Not in price, you can not compete there. But in niche. Find something you can specialize in, be it a software or a system.

For example, on this forum we have many embedded software (and hardware) experts. Ill take my expertize as an example: I do monitoring. (think Nagios, and other tools from big players).

There you have availability and capacity/performance monitoring. The first means a disk is full and a Unix guy has to run to solve it. The latter means that someone wants spreadsheets and charts in a report. In a big company, the threshold is set to 80%, in a small company, having still 20% free harddisk is still ok, and it is cheaper to set it to 90%, and due to less bureaucracy, faster to solve (on time). The same disk data used for availability is used in capacity/performance, where trend analysis is done, and calculated how fast your data grows, and if you need to buy new storage or more/faster servers. Then, software actually needs to be monitored, which usually is a process/service, logfile, port, some connectivity checks between its database, some custom checks (this is where I shine), and some logic, for self-healing. For example restart the program when it crashes, backup the core file, remove it, to have some space back (most software does not run well with a full harddisk), and lower the priority of the incident ticket, or automatically close it (or escalate to prio1 if it crashed again).The logic is not that complex, but unique to each business chain (the data flows from one end to the other, each component touched is part of the chain). The nice thing is that it permeates a company. You get to learn superficially each software, you talk to all sorts of people, from OS teams to license management (because you can monitor realtime how many instances of a certain software is used, or is installed),  business continuity managers (the monitoring consoles are crucial in determining what is going on if SHTF, and if we have recovered). Its not a bad place to start.

And before you say: I can not do that... I just click buttons, code in perl, write in shell, and suggest "missing" and point out "misbehaving" monitoring... jup just a helpdesker...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless things have changed dramatically since I looked at them 10+ years ago I don't think those rent-a-coder sites are going to be worth your time. The highly rated accounts seemed to be making most of their money by doing people's homework the night before it was due. Which I guess is easy enough money if you're okay with something pretty ethically questionable. For anything else I'd avoid it like the plague. You're better off taking your chances doing an app for mobile devices.

41plbq-GC3L._SX200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1499128304/

But but Craig made tons of money on icp2 with no icp2 and he's still roaming free ;)
Yeah but who wants that? Have your reputation ruined online and have to deal with a bunch of people hating you?

And if you're especially unlucky you could get handed a lawsuit and be forced into bankruptcy.

Hey guys, I thought I would run this question by you. I'm in the US and I've been programming for about 5 years, though I've never really done a full project. I'm in college and I need to make money, and I'd like to be able to do it with programming. I looked into freelancing, but a lot of those sites seem to be quite filled with people whose profiles already have very high ratings, so it would be very difficult for me to get any jobs(I think). I was also thinking about app creation, though it makes me a bit nervous because it seems like it would involve some big projects and I don't know if I can do it. I also don't know where to start on that end. Would you guys have any advice? Whether it's on where I should start or what I could do. Just to be clear, I can program in Java, C/C++, and python.

Dude, there is no such thing as hungry programmer/developer.

if you can code, just make some iPhone/Android app in your spare time.

One idea for an app: If you move the phone side to side, it detects this, and allows you to signal a banner. (think of this as a stripe of leds, and by moving them side to side, words appear, because the leds go on and off at the right moment)

Also read the comments on this one: http://developers.slashdot.org/story/15/03/07/1741200/go-r-young-man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back