Advice Wanted On Gp2x Purchase

hannanshah

Still Fresh
I'm based in the UK and am trying to decide on who to purchase a GP2X from. Play Asia seem to be the cheapest option as I can get a console, power adapter and TV-out cable for a total delivered price of around £125 using airmail. The package will be marked down for sustoms but it will take time to arrive. Apparently Play Asia do store credits for lost packages so this seems to be some form of insurance.

GBAX are based in the UK and seem to provide a good service. However, the console and TV-out cable will end up costing me about £140.

I would go for Play Asia but I'm worried about receiving a console which has a few issues and thus returning it will be a bitch. I know GBAX check their units.

Also I want some advice about what 2gb SD card to get. Can anyone recommend a good cheap UK price and what brand I should go for. I've seen Sandisk 2gb cards for £60. Is this the right card at the right price.

I'm a 2.01 PSP owner and am really frustrated at the lack of quality games as well as Sony's attempts to block homebrew. Some progress is being made at getting homebrew working through GTA but it really is abumpy road to get stuff running. I want Chrono Trigger and Streets of Rage on the train now!!! The only thing that has stopped me from selling it is the fact that it is a really neat piece of kit especially with its awesome screen. However, a GP2x purchase may finally convince me to pass the PSP on to someone else.

I would go with GBAX. Just because if you do need to return the unit you could.

Plus it will get to you faster, with the lastest firmware and checked that it is ok. Plus you can get a 1gb sd card with it for a bit more.

Plus craig is on this board to keep you updated on how orders are going.

I like Play-Asia, but that doesn't mean they're the best for your situation. Craigix runs GBAX, and he's easily available here if you need him. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong either way. It's probablly similar to the choice to buy something locally or online.

Either way, you might want to have a look at the page I made for new buyers. It might help you through those first hours after receiving your GP2X.
http://www.personal.triticom.com/~erm/GP2X/GeneralInfo/

I can't help you with the 2GB card question. Sorry, I just have a 1GB.

It is interesting how people will almost always go for the cheapest option, I cannot compete on the VAT issue. Playasia are obviously breaking the law with their marking down of the value. The price should be equal to ours if they played by the rules.

The reason we don't have PSU's yet is because Gamepark cannot source UK style plugs, so we are having to have our own made in Europe. Hoping to have them on monday.

I ordered a PSU from Play asia and all i had to do is use the cable from an old stereo to plug it in. Actually its my old Dreamcast cable.

Also ordered an official case and a screen protector, but im a bit disapointed with the screen protector. Its not big enough to cover the whole screen so i didnt fit it.

craigix posted on Feb 9 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
It is interesting how people will almost always go for the cheapest option, I cannot compete on the VAT issue. Playasia are obviously breaking the law with their marking down of the value. The price should be equal to ours if they played by the rules.

The reason we don't have PSU's yet is because Gamepark cannot source UK style plugs, so we are having to have our own made in Europe. Hoping to have them on monday.

Well I know you're running a business and will always recommend yourself :D . But I know you provide a great service. Thing is I regularly order things from the Far East and have never had a problem. Otherwise I wouldn't have even considered risking it with Play Asia. As a poor uni student I always have to consider the cheap option!

I'm not ordering right at this moment as I am simply weighing up my options based on the advice I get from the people here. Right now I'm about 50/50 as to with option I should go for. I guess my main issue is to get a perfectly working unit. I'm just trying to assess the chances of me receving a unit with a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend getting a SD card and card reader over getting the TV out cable for now. As these are essential items for the GP2X.

My GP2X came with a card reader for free from GP2x.co.uk, but not sure if this is a standard thing, or if I was just special. (Thank you craigix it was a nice surprise :lol: )

Zeon X posted on Feb 9 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
I would recommend getting a SD card and card reader over getting the TV out cable for now. As these are essential items for the GP2X.

My GP2X came with a card reader for free from GP2x.co.uk, but not sure if this is a standard thing, or if I was just special. (Thank you craigix it was a nice surprise :lol: )

I already have a card reader and am planning to get a 2gb SD card. The TV-out is relatively cheap and an impressive feature to show off to my mates though I would honestly prefer a Tv-out cable which had an RGB SCART on it instead of S-Video (can anyone build me one of those?!).

Zeon X posted on Feb 9 2006 at 03:32 PM said:

* Craig thinks "Bugger! I was wondering where that had gone". *

will they have a corner socket so it doesnt stick out the side of the 2x so much?

How much will these cost?

hannanshah posted on Feb 9 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
SanDisk 2GB SD card

Is this card suitable for the GP2X?

Do not buy this card, it is too slow. Maybe it is fast enough for the GP2X, but if you want to use for another purpose, you will hate it. I have got a 1 GB card of this type, it is just rubbish.

chaos engineer posted on Feb 9 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
SanDisk 2GB SD card

Do not buy this card, it is too slow. Maybe it is fast enough for the GP2X, but if you want to use for another purpose, you will hate it. I have got a 1 GB card of this type, it is just rubbish.

Well I am only going to be using it for the GP2X. Do you have any other recommendations? I've seen the Viking card for cheaper but I've heard that these don't work well with the GP2X.

Have no hesitation from buying from Craig, I have bought from him a few times over the years. I had issues with the GP2x I bought (first edition) and I got a refund without fuss. I will be buying a new GP2x again soon (will probably wait until the official firmware 1.4 comes first, or maybe wait until version 1.5 comes), with UK power adaptor.

Sure, his prices are not the cheapest on the net, but consider this - if you buy from one of those other sites and your delivery doesn't arrive, you probably won't be able to trace where the parcel is, if it was sent at all, probably won't get a refund (what's the point of a credit), your Gp2x probably won't be pre-tested to ensure it works (so that leads to other issues about returns, getting lost in transit, etc) and it probably won't have the latest firmware on it, so you may or may not be able to update the firmware yourself sucessfully (depending on the SD card you use).

Craig is a godsend to GP2x users, :wub: it is only right we give him our loyalty and buy from him. No, I don't work for Craig, I am just a customer!

Sure, it is always worth hunting for a deal, and finding a cheap price, but price is only one factor in any purchase - you gets what you pay for, sometimes it is worth paying a bit more for piece of mind, than gambling on losing your money! Anyway, add the VAT which Customs will add the the goods in the UK, and the delay while in Customs; is the price difference worth it?

bacteria posted on Feb 9 2006 at 04:03 PM said:
Have no hesitation from buying from Craig, I have bought from him a few times over the years. I had issues with the GP2x I bought (first edition) and I got a refund without fuss. I will be buying a new GP2x again soon (will probably wait until the official firmware 1.4 comes first, or maybe wait until version 1.5 comes), with UK power adaptor.

Sure, his prices are not the cheapest on the net, but consider this - if you buy from one of those other sites and your delivery doesn't arrive, you probably won't be able to trace where the parcel is, if it was sent at all, probably won't get a refund (what's the point of a credit), your Gp2x probably won't be pre-tested to ensure it works (so that leads to other issues about returns, getting lost in transit, etc) and it probably won't have the latest firmware on it, so you may or may not be able to update the firmware yourself sucessfully (depending on the SD card you use).

Craig is a godsend to GP2x users, :wub: it is only right we give him our loyalty and buy from him. No, I don't work for Craig, I am just a customer!

Sure, it is always worth hunting for a deal, and finding a cheap price, but price is only one factor in any purchase - you gets what you pay for, sometimes it is worth paying a bit more for piece of mind, than gambling on losing your money! Anyway, add the VAT which Customs will add the the goods in the UK, and the delay while in Customs; is the price difference worth it?

What's the poiint of a credit? I can order another GP2X from them :D .

You have made a very convincing argument. It looks like I am being swayed to go with Craig. Guess I'll wait till he gets the UK power adaptor in stock. It gives me time to sell my PSP as well as hopefully a new firmware becoming available.

A bit confused with the SD card issue. Does this mean you can only upgrade with certain SD cards but otherwise any SD card will work for other tasks? What 2GB SD card should I go for?

hannanshah posted on Feb 9 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Feb 9 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
SanDisk 2GB SD card

Well I am only going to be using it for the GP2X. Do you have any other recommendations? I've seen the Viking card for cheaper but I've heard that these don't work well with the GP2X.

I am using now a faster 2GB SanDisk (Ultra II or something similar). There are also fast ones from Kingston and from other brands. I read somewhere that for instance the ordinary Panasonics are way faster that those from SanDisk. I just would not buy again one of the cheap SanDisks.

hannanshah posted on Feb 9 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
bacteria posted on Feb 9 2006 at 04:03 PM said:
*snip Craigx Worship*

*I still worship him too, just from the USA =p*

What's the poiint of a credit? I can order another GP2X from them :D .

You have made a very convincing argument. It looks like I am being swayed to go with Craig. Guess I'll wait till he gets the UK power adaptor in stock. It gives me time to sell my PSP as well as hopefully a new firmware becoming available.

A bit confused with the SD card issue. Does this mean you can only upgrade with certain SD cards but otherwise any SD card will work for other tasks? What 2GB SD card should I go for?

When you are upgrading the firmware, the GP2X is quite picky on what works to upgrade the firmware. It MIGHT work with a 2 GB SD card, and the best way to upgrade is the card being formatted to FAT32, and the card only having the firmware .img file. If that doesn't work, try borrowing an old SD card from someone.

I bought two 1Gb SD cards and a 256Mb SD card from Novatech - their own brand, ( www.novatech.co.uk ) which worked fine on my (original) GP2x. Problem was these cards wouldn't work on updating firmware, which meant I didn't have a way to upgrade from firmware 1.0. I didn't want to keep buying more SD cards in the vane hope they worked (and costing lots of money each time). I also had issues with screen brightness, flickering, battery life, etc

There are lots of posts which advise buying Sandisk, at least the 128Mb SD card, and having it purely for flashing firmware updates. The main GP2x site (Anna's) seems to point to this too, which confirms the position in my view.

Back