After The 3000 First Batch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaoin

Website
Visit site
I'm sure Pandora will be a hit but:

In a not too distant future, could the existing analog controls be replaced by the originals(with click and 3 mm)?

Those controls were great.

Xmoon said:

In a not too distant future, could the existing analog controls be replaced by the originals(with click and 3 mm)?

There were a few reasons why they didn't go with click, and why they went with the sticks they chose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xmoon said:

im also curious about revisions... will they increase the RAM in the near future so it can be used for more intense apps?

If that were possible, they´d be using them right now, don´t you think so?

But seeing as they aren´t made anymore, they can´t.

The RAM can´t be increased as it is part of the SoC and 128MB is the biggest amout currently available. That might change though, but it depends on Texas Instruments.

It would be a very bad idea to revise the pandora in a way like that. Early buyers will feel like got kicked in the ass as soon as there will be games that wouldn't run on their device any more. There's a difference between releasing a pandora2 or a slightly modified version that breaks compatibility,

I am not refering to NOW. I'm thinking in a one, two, three years.

I think some kind of new analog nubs like the "originals" are not a big hardware revision.

128 mb of ram is more than enough for a portable device. psp has 32 and is not hindered at all. most pdas have like 64

Birdeater said:
im also curious about revisions... will they increase the RAM in the near future so it can be used for more intense apps?
Won't happen. There are technical limitations: Double the RAM = double the power consumption of the RAM, which would significantly reduce battery life. TI hasnt released a higher memory version of the OMAP3. The OMAP is an SoC, you cannot reasonably replace the components on it. There are also disadvantages to doing so: At the very basic level, the devs do not want to fragment the community. 128MB is P-L-E-N-T-Y of RAM for a handheld.

Edit: And even if it were feasible, you have to think for a second. "Hey, right after the first 3000 we're going to release a better version!" That betrays your core audience and discourages people from buying the first batch of units, stalling sales before they even get off the ground.

AireTamStorm said:
Birdeater said:
Won't happen. There are technical limitations: Double the RAM = double the power consumption of the RAM, which would significantly reduce battery life. TI hasnt released a higher memory version of the OMAP3. The OMAP is an SoC, you cannot reasonably replace the components on it. There are also disadvantages to doing so: At the very basic level, the devs do not want to fragment the community. 128MB is P-L-E-N-T-Y of RAM for a handheld.

Edit: And even if it were feasible, you have to think for a second. "Hey, right after the first 3000 we're going to release a better version!" That betrays your core audience and discourages people from buying the first batch of units, stalling sales before they even get off the ground.

i guess your right. i was just thinking of apps like nulldc in the future. or open sourced pc games. but 128 can be more than enough

Xmoon said:
In a not too distant future,

Xmoon said:
I am not refering to NOW. I'm thinking in a one, two, three years.
:huh: three years is a long time for a tech device.

Any chance we could let the Pandora get released before we change it? It has what it has, isn't likely to change, and various developers will wring every ounce out of it to make it perform to its best.

deja vu?

Any way, I think the question has been answered sufficiently. Can we end it now?

It is not that there is a zero percent chance of it happening. Its, the device hasn't been released yet, so chill. Buy a unit, say what you like and dislike about it, and maybe a future revision will feature something you commented on.

The PS2 has 32MB RAM. The original Xbox has 64MB RAM. Obviously you can't compare these systems to Pandora, but it's worth throwing those numbers out there. Bottom line, 128MB is heaps.

AireTamStorm said:
It's called: "Doing an Osborne", and it has been proven to be a Very Bad Thing <TM>.

AireTamStorm said:
Birdeater said:

RAM is not a large consumer of power compared to the LCD and CPU, TI do not bundle the ram with the device and comparing ram against other handhelds is only relevant if devs are planing to develop games from the ground up for the system, inconsiderate of the hordes of ports of games that were developed for PCs with fat ammounts of memory. (Not to mention those crazy MID ppl)

The simple reason why we are using 128MB is because 256MB cost too much at the moment, and by the time it becomes cheaper, including it would seperate the Pandora user-base, which will probably not happen as you mention in your edit.

Honestly ignore all windowz RAM issues, the Pandora will fly with 128Meg of RAM. This isn't X86 & windows, it is ARM and Linux. 128MB is a fantastic amount of memory for a machine link this, consider what has been done with the PSP (32MB) and the Xbox (64MB).

This is going to fly, I have a real Pandora on my desk in front of me right now, and you can expect some photos tomorrow, this thing is SO SMALL it is astonishing.

craigix said:
This is going to fly, I have a real Pandora on my desk in front of me right now, and you can expect some photos tomorrow, this thing is SO SMALL it is astonishing.

(Google maps and crowbar, here I come.....and, well, a boat....for that whole Atlantic Ocean thing...)

craigix said:
Honestly ignore all windowz RAM issues, the Pandora will fly with 128Meg of RAM. This isn't X86 & windows, it is ARM and Linux. 128MB is a fantastic amount of memory for a machine link this, consider what has been done with the PSP (32MB) and the Xbox (64MB).

That is so unfair its punishable as a war crime

:angry:

MOAR PICS NOWWW

craigix said:
Drooool.....

I can't wait to see the pics

craigix said:

Don't make me drool for nothing. I'm gonna be refreshing this page and the blog until the photos come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back