Agapito: A New Game

namx

Still Fresh
Hi all!

First of all, i would like to apologize for my poor english. This is my first post on this forum, although i've been reading it for months, since i purchased one Pandora. I really like emulation and old generation games and so does my brother. We think that Pandora will be our best gadget for ever! Long time ago we were working on a game. Its name was "AGAPITO" (this is a rare and hilarious spanish name, assigned to the main character we must control in the game). We were 15 and 17 years old when we started designing it. Some years later, we decided to stop working on it. Now, we are 31 and 33 years old (!!!!) and that unfinished game still comes to our minds, when we talk about old school games. Recently we were thinking about porting it to Pandora. The original game was made in C++, and we think that we could easily port it and do a lot of improvements, and finally release it for our loved Pandora. What do you think about that?

We have posted a video in Youtube, showing some levels and gameplaying.

We'd really appreciate your feedback

Thanks in advance!

AGAPITO

Last edited by a moderator:
really good animations, it remember me some Amiga platformer games. old time but better time ;)

The Gfx are good some are not really great (like fantasmas on the beginning).

Haha, looks awesome! Definitely would like to see it released. If you're really planning improvements as well, it'll be icing on top of the cake.

Wow, cool!
Looking exactly like those games I loved back in the Amiga days :D
I'll be happy to play it!

LOL thank you for the feedback!

Sprites were created using Deluxe Paint (OMG!) and a software called TrueSpace 3D. We might have original files somewhere, so I think that we could resize sprites in order to optimize game screen resolution for Pandora (now the game runs at 320x200).

The game plays sound and music, but we werent able to play it in dosbox, due to low level programming, i supose. Currently the game supports ambiental music, including eventual music (music changes when you engage a big boss, for example) and sample sounds for every event in the game (running, jumping, swimming, damage, getting gems and all). Anyway, we think that there will be no problems with sound.

We will continue working on the game as soon as we receive our Pandora, so i'll be posting about the game.

Any ideas about improving the game? plz, post them!

This looks amazing, I would love to see it on the Pandora - it's exactly the sort of game that I like to play. Please do port it. :)

Every jump'n run ia a win for the Pandora. :)
I really like the small puzzle Elements when pushing (and pulling!) Blocks. Nice Feature. ^_^ The Minecart and the "Air Tube" are also very good elements. I can imagine some cool tube-rides.

NamX said:
Any ideas about improving the game? plz, post them!
I can't resist! :D Some graphic suggestions:
  • The graphics are nice at all. But maybe you should change the Egypt Background. "real" Photographs and Pixel-Art don't match together I think.
  • the horizontal green slime shots seems to be a little bit to small to clearly see.
  • The Cave Level could look better with a (not to much moving) Parallax background to separate the foreground more.
  • best res for Pandora could be 400x240 and then simply pixel doubling in hardware. Such a game doesn't need the full 800x480 res. ;)
  • animated water/lava falls (background)
  • a little bit more alternation in the background like in the castle. The "Brick-Brick-Brick..." BG could benefit from more Winodws, Torches, larger or different blocks etc..
  • the trees look a little bit different in graphic style than the rest of the game

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a hit for sure. I love the retro look.
Please port it. I want to play it on Pandora :)

Looks really good, and I love these games, hope you will release it, I'll definitely play it :)

I love 2D platformers, and this one looks pretty good, and fun. I'd love to play it on the Pandora :)

Sonic what are you doing here? ;P
No really it was the running/spring animation that made me think of the hedgehog.

This should come in the form of a compliment as most new sonic games have lost there original greatness and this game captures that long lost lightning in a bottle perfectly. the levels look fun to play rather hard to play. and I would play this game no doubt (I know this would be impossible but a level editor would be awesome).

Back