Age Of Empires?

aesir911

aesir triumphs
This may just be me dreaming out loud, but is it possible to emulate Age of Empires on the Pandora. I would love to be able to play Age of Conquerors. I'm not sure though if the Pandora could handle processing the game though (especially since it is designed for windows, not linux). If you have any idea, please let me know, i've been wondering about this for about a year now.

Consequence9 said:
+1

Microsoft published game - fat chance at getting the source to port.

system reqs
* Pentium 90 processor or faster (P-133+ for 1024 x 768 resolution)
* Win 95 or Win NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3

No chance on Dos Box either.

No one has written an interpreter that we can use. Zio (old article) has a java version... FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
aesir911 said:
This may just be me dreaming out loud, but is it possible to emulate Age of Empires on the Pandora. I would love to be able to play Age of Conquerors. I'm not sure though if the Pandora could handle processing the game though (especially since it is designed for windows, not linux). If you have any idea, please let me know, i've been wondering about this for about a year now.
yes

maybe AOE vainilla that did get a ARM port for WinCE

no, but 0 A.D. will http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/

however they are not done because they need coders!

SONY said:
How will 0 A.D. compare with the likes of Age of Empires, gameplay wise?
IIRC it's very similar, but since it's open source you could change gameplay.

aesir911 said:

Hey aesir's back

ED:
also AOE would be amazing. It's in my top 5 games (AoeII: The Conquerors, that is)

rabidpoobear said:
aesir911 said:

Hey aesir's back

ED:
also AOE would be amazing. It's in my top 5 games (AoeII: The Conquerors, that is)

oh, i've been back for quite some time... what about battle for wesnoth? will that work? for some reason it doesnt work on my mac... perhaps because it's a mac.

aesir911 said:
what about battle for wesnoth? will that work? for some reason it doesnt work on my mac... perhaps because it's a mac.
it should work on both.

please don't count on 0AD, there's no way to say if it will run.

conso said:
aesir911 said:
what about battle for wesnoth? will that work? for some reason it doesnt work on my mac... perhaps because it's a mac.
it should work on both.

do oyu have a link where i can download it for my mac?

aesir911 said:
conso said:
aesir911 said:
it should work on both.

do oyu have a link where i can download it for my mac?

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Download ?

It is very sad that although the OS community has made very good games in fields of FPS, MMORPG and turn-based strategic games, the results in the RTS are not comparable to the rest.
I look at AoK and its expansion as the best game ever in its kind because the it's, you know, perfect in its kind. It's circular, every civ has its flaws and strongholds. To this day it's THE game of my lan partys and a single play can take up to 5 hours. I enjoy others RTS, and I love the story behind some of them, but when it comes to multiplayer, then Age of Empires II rocks and it's the way to go.

I've tried some free (as in Freedom) RTS but they are just not finished, with not enough manpower and without a very strong idea behind them. (also they tend to be futuristic whereas I think this is just a possible scenario and also our past is free to use, no royalty in greek and roman civilizations .-P)
I REALLY would like to have the expertise to enhance this situation... But I just don't have the skills and the time to learn them, I hope I could become a good beta-tester for this things. In the meanwhile I can just hope a change in this situation and that a least somehow one day the Pandora could run a AoE game. Or some engines running AoE graphics like happened to something else.

I think AoE is probably coming to Pandora2. The Pandora most certainly has the power to run AoE, the trouble is that it won't unless you recompile AoE and those pesky Windows libraries, DirectX, etc. for ARM. Emulation would, unfortunately, be unplayable/impossible.
The problem is if you do recompile and edit the game, you're violating a bunch of stuff... Need I go into detail?

Er... I think that if they catch you recompiling AoE, the violation of the eula would be their lest concern. I think they would be most likely concerned by the fact that you actually HAVE those sources!

Back