Alternative 7" Display for case mod.

zapman

I would like to design a new case for the pandora, that uses a 7 inch lcd display (like the one on the eeePc 701). The keyboard I would keep and only the speakers would be moved below the screen to result in a tablet like device without any hinge.

Flatter then the current Pandora but more confy to read e-books and surf the net...

The question is: what sort of 800x480 lc-display do I have to use in order to minimize any solder work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm - actually... a bigger question...

Is 800x480 the limit to what the chipset can drive? What resolutions CAN the Pandora's video system output?

I have this in mind:

pandi_tablet_render.jpg

I wouldn't want to go any bigger then a 7" lcd.

There are lots of different resolutions offered in 7" screens though. What is the highest resolution that our chipset can push?

I think I've heared, that the digital output used for the lcd is a dvi kind of thing, so maybe singlelink dvi resolutions may be possible. Have a look at the beagleboard. This seems to be the same thing.

On The beagleboard C4, I have managed to set it to 1280x1024 I believe this is the maximum.

You will probably have to have your own LCD cable made for this mod. It won't be too expensive though if you don't want it to bend, ChinaFastPrint will probably be able to do it for you.

On The beagleboard C4, I have managed to set it to 1280x1024 I believe this is the maximum.

That puts it in the realm where 720p might be possible too - I wonder what resolutions it can push.

It would be an odd size'd beast - but if someone were to source the LCD cable, display and case plastics - then let people purchase a Pandora for the rest of the hardware, there might be an audience for it.

With the Pandora battery under the keyboard for a counter-weight it might balance pretty well too - though you'd want to have a lanyard/strap connector hole somewhere on it. I use the one on my Pandora - I'm not sure how many others do.

Zapman - it looks like you had envisioned the shoulder buttons on top - what about putting them behind as recessed 'normal' buttons - and putting the R2 and L2 in as well?

Zapman - it looks like you had envisioned the shoulder buttons on top - what about putting them behind as recessed 'normal' buttons - and putting the R2 and L2 in as well?

the elevation above the keyboard is supposed to indicate where I would put the speakers. the shoulder buttons would go on the backside, maybe it would be fun to expand to the 2nd set of shoulder buttons as well. but first I need to find a lcd that fits my purpose. Anyone?!?

Pixel Qi makes a 7" 1024x600 resolution screen - but I don't know if the Pandora's system can drive it.

zapman, you need to look at console modding forums like the one from ben hek

Not really - at least not for this part.

For this part he needs to understand what the Pandora uses for an LCD cable connection, which signals are on which 'wire' in the 'bundle' and what types and resolutions of displays the Pandora's chip set can support. For that information he'll need input from Michael &/or ED or similar. Once he has that information in hand - then he can select a display that falls within those specifications.

Then, as CraigIX stated above, he will need to have a custom LCD ribbon cable made to go from the Pandora's output connector to whatever is on the display - which will likely be it's own beast with different orders to the 'wires' - and a different connector.

At that point, Ben Heck's site would be a good stop to understand one-off case fabrication. Other options include making a CAD of the case and having it done on a CNC or built up on a 3D printer (Makerbot Replicator?). Or, for that matter, he could go OLD school and carve a wax case and cast it out of solid metal - or carve the negative (mold) of the case and learn Bakelyte.

Lots of options on how to put the parts together - once the BIG questions of what display to use and how to connect it are answered.

zapman, you need to look at console modding forums like the one from ben hek
Not really - at least not for this part.

For this part he needs to understand what the Pandora uses for an LCD cable connection, which signals are on which 'wire' in the 'bundle' and what types and resolutions of displays the Pandora's chip set can support. For that information he'll need input from Michael &/or ED or similar. Once he has that information in hand - then he can select a display that falls within those specifications.

yes, that's what I was looking for. I asked ED a few weeks ago via IRC and he wanted to check with Michael Weston but I didn't get any answer. As my idea is more a fun thing I want to do and both ED and Michael have more important things to do I thought I throw this issue at the community.

The screen I want to use should have the same resolution, that would make things easier. At that res, 7inch lcd still look nice, stays portable and shouldn't draw too much battery power. For a solution with touch screen, I would need to know what kind of touch screen is used on the Pandora as well and choose one accordingly. To keep things simple I could also pass on touch input on the 7" lcd. As it would greatly improve the picture quality I really might do that...

The case will be designed by myself and printed on my Prusa Mendel 3d printer. A sketch can be seen above.

So I'm still looking for some info on the pin layout of the LCD cable and things I should keep in mind for a successful lcd replacement.

I was thinking that a screen with a S-Video input would work fine. In which case console modding forums could help him find one.

http://www.panelook.com is a good place to find screens but I bet most suppliers would want a large minimum order. Maybe if you found a dealer willing to do a small order, you could get a group buy together. I might be interested in making a pandora like the one described here. How strong would the cases be that you'll be making? I didn't know 3d printers even existed, very cool.

For $40 this might be worth it to simply pull open and hack around on for your proof of concept device.

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-M707-800x480-Resolution-Digital/dp/B005J99864

It probably is not the fastest screen...

If you want to get one with a touch screen built in, Google shopping search 800x480 7" - there are a bunch of sub-$150 tablet computers out there that you could tear open and salvage the parts you're after.

The big issue with either of the above - you have no idea what signal the screen expects, etc...

THAT is going to take some hardware hacking.

But it's an option if you only plan to build one.

Back