Always Innovating Touch Book Specs And Release Date Announced

musicalwoods

Always Innovating Touch Book Specs and Release Date Announced

Always Innovating has released production photos and specifications for its upcoming tablet/netbook/whatever:

Always Innovating Touch Book Site

# Texas Instruments OMAP3530 with Micron 256MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
# 8.9 inches 1024x600 A+ screen
# Main storage: 8GB SD card — we decided to change from Micro SD to standard SD, so that you can easily upgrade it
# Internal USB wifi 802.11 b/g/n powered by a Ralink 3070 chipset
# Internal USB bluetooth class 2.1
# FCC, CE, UL-certified, 5V, 3.5A power adapter
# 8.9 inches pressure sensitive touch screen
# US Qwerty 24cm-large keyboard — around 95% of the size of a standard keyboard
# Cirque Touchpad
# Two Owolff high-quality internal stereo speakers
# 3D accelerometer
# Two internal batteries 6000 and 12000mAh — it can be replaced with a screw driver
# 7 USB ports: three external, four internal, three of them may be reserved for wifi, bluetooth and keyboard
# Bi-color silver/black case — see photos — with a beautiful dark-red back cover (we decided to go only for red for the first batch as it really jumps out, you won't regret it).
# Secured attachment system of tablet into keyboard
# Independent magnet system for the tablet — we don't want your Touch Book to un-magnetize all your credit cards while carrying it in your bag!

Specs very similar to the Pandora but in a larger form factor. I'm really glad they moved away from microSDHC.

While we admire Microsoft’s staying power in the industry, they lost their innovative edge many years ago. In the mean time, Linux and the open source community have made tremendous progress to offer an innovative and user-friendly desktop experience.

A curious statement given that both KDE and Gnome (and their respective apps) tend to borrow extensively from both Windows and Mac GUI designs/ideas.

viridior said:
I just ordered one, and I also preordered the Pandora. I'll do some comparisons as soon as I can.

So, probably never at the rate the Pandora's going?

I kid, I kid, but we're seriously creeping up on 1 year since preorders started. I'm starting to believe it's never going to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this topic is a little old, but I'd rather not start a new one. I think the more OMAP3 devices on the market, the better. The more netbooks, tablets, and portable gaming devices on OMAP, the more development support we'll see, if only because there's a higher chance of competent coders owning one.

What the beagle board couldn't do, save for a few custom homemade cases, is give devs a real personal incentive to (1)get programs up. I mean, what's the worth or even personal appeal of Quake 3/XReal (or BlenderGE, or even a video player) ported to a tiny motherboard running on an LCD monitor (next to a PC that's easily capable of running Crysis)? However, turn that into something the size of a Nintendo DS (phat), and suddenly that work looks substantially more impressive and comes with a much higher sense of accomplishment, never mind practicality (long after I stop playing games on it, the Pandora will make a ridiculously nice e-book reader and music player).

All we need is software that's easy to use and set up(think simple imaging from a Linux/Windows/Mac box, not an installer). I'm looking forward to it =3

(1)Don't get me wrong! Current OMAP software development is awesome, I'm just saying I can see things getting even better now that there's reasonably priced and pocketable devices on the market.

"Initial Shipment Expected July 2009"

Well, it's the end of July... where's that initial shipment? :)

Back