Amd Processor Question

tekt5

NazcaBeer Spokesman
Website
Visit site
I'm going to be purchising a computer soon, I'm trying to decide between a two of them that both have AMD Processors.

One is a sempron 3000+ and the other is an athlon 64 3200+. I was just wondoring which is the better proccessor cause I don't know AMD (I do know pentium is better than celeron but again, don't know AMD) I'm assuming that the athlon is the more powerful one as that has a more impressive name :lol: and is in the PC that's more expensive. Just wanted to know if I was right. Thanks

sempteron is the celeron of amd :)
go for a64, and make sure to get one with winchester core, they stay cooler, use less power, and are better overclockable.

My favourite AMD at the moment has to be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, but it is kinda expensive :(

From your choice though, I'd go with the athlon 64 3200+

Squidge posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:30 PM said:
My favourite AMD at the moment has to be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, but it is kinda expensive :(

We had a Dual core machine in work the other day, and it was very noisey with all the fans in it. Would hate to have that on my desk :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 24 2005 at 08:40 PM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:30 PM said:

We had a Dual core machine in work the other day, and it was very noisey with all the fans in it. Would hate to have that on my desk :lol:

It must have been a pentium dual core (presscot), As they run very hot and eats power like it was going out of fashion. Where as the Athlon x2 runs only marginally hotter than it`s single core cousin of the same speed and draws only slightly more power too.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
The AMD was designed from the start to be dual core, so obviously takes up much less power and outputs much less heat than a cobbled together P4 Dual core which was thrown together in a rush to get something out there. No doub't Intel will come out with a proper DC design later.

As for fan noises, well, you use professional fans, not cheapo ones, and when it becomes too noisy you scrap them completely and move to something else, like water cooling, or phase change, which require much less fans (normally 1 - 2).

Go for a Venice Core Athlon 64 3200+.

I don't think the San Diego core is available for the lower clockspeed Athlons.

Back