An Idea....

kayuz

hi guys,
do you know the features in win 7 where you can use a usb pen drive as a banc of ram memory?
for example a 4 gb pendrve can be 3.5 gb of addictional ram for your system.. this Improve a lot the performance of the pc.
so, a utility like this for caanoo is possible?
in poor word, the app create a chache file on the pendrive trought usb port and this improve the system..
what do you think guys, is possible to do?
;)

the problem i think is that usb use a lot of battery... so you have minor battery life :/

Yes, this is called swap partition in Linux. But you can destroy the usb memory if you use a lot, because the high rate or data writtings.

Patrick Aalto (autor DS2X86 emulator) use a flashcartridge as a coprocessor with its built-in memory.
It would be better not use pen device as a swap (console has enough memory), and to develop or use a accessory in which could move some of the functions of the processor.

like the supercard DS TWO with the nintendo ds. ;)
and in fact, DS2X84 run on SuperCARD DSTWO ;)

ON TOPIC:
so, the devs have to use this device as a upgradement in hardware... but exist a usb device that have these features?

Hahahoj said:
Patrick Aalto (autor DS2X86 emulator) use a flashcartridge as a coprocessor with its built-in memory.
It would be better not use pen device as a swap (console has enough memory), and to develop or use a accessory in which could move some of the functions of the processor.

USB drives don't have general purpose processors on them, those flash carts are special and were developed specifically for that purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahoj said:
My post about USB devices.

Do you know of such a USB "pen device" that has a general purpose processor on it? I don't.

Hahahoj said:
WiFi USB network adapters, security USB-keys for software products, e.t.c.
these dont have "general purpose" processor in, only dedicated ones

Hahahoj said:
Devices made on Atmel or PIC microcontrollers?

While there are microcontroller eval kits in USB-stick form factors I can't fathom why you'd want to try to augment Caanoo with a platform that's at least 10 times slower than it is..

1) Because this is topic called "an idea".
2) This is proof that you can immediately find the USB device with a processor on board.
3) Using principles of multithreaded programming, you can give part of the computing tasks to it.
4) There are also many other cheap devices from China and the performance of embedded processors in them is constantly growing.
5) We can make device ourselves (it can works through the USB interface or EXT using the ARM or PIC controller as a bridge leading to a more powerful processor.)

Back