Analog Nubs - Poll

What would you rather have, considering the delay it brings?

• Worse controls (1mm radius nubs) but no delay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good, custom controls, but a delay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we go down this road, might I make a suggestion: namely, just see if we *can* find an off-the-shelf component with 2mm travel.

It is, after all, conceivable that such a part does exist and simply hasn't been found yet, and finding it would get us the best of both worlds (all three if a custom part is as expensive as I suspect it might be).

Sure, a delay is the route, if a custom part is feasable in the first place and no undiscovered good part exists, but let's confirm that as the case before we all accept that September is the earliest we're going to see Pandora in all her finery.

If I only would read ED's german Pandora/GP2X board, we never would know about such things like the newer problems during Pandora Manufacturing. :lol:

I haven' read the whole story but it sounds like the old Analog-Nubs are no longer available? How? Wasn't this Hardware one of the first things that were announced with Videos? Hm, Usualy you make sure a Company can build and ship their Hardware if you need it and this Analog-Pad Comapny knew that Pandora people need this stuff. So I really can't understand why they stopped production in the last minute NOW that we need these parts? GPH Virus or something? :(

I would vote for NO DELAY AND GOOD CONTROLS but that seems not possible. I hope Craigix and Co do their best to hold the other Companies in place and make preassure to get what is needed for the Pandora, would be a little bit stupid if the LCD screen will also stopped in production etc...

They stopped because "it was too expensive", no they just were not making enough profit from it, they don't care about anybody, just greedy money money money.

Reesy said:
Dont rush it out with crap controls for Gods sake! Its been done before....GP2X... hello... anyone listening?
The voice of wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a false assumption that Pandora is complete minus the analog nubs and that there will be no other parts or other unexpected delays. Might as well hold back and hopefully Pandora will all come together for September.

javaJake said:
Well, I can't really vote until I know what the "1mm radius" means. Anyone mind explaining? :p
Well, in most gamer's opinion, 1mm controls are more suited to menu selection than a mouse replacement. If you consider the area covered, 1mm controls have less sensor area than 2mm by 1/4th and 3mm controls by 1/9th.

Essentially, few gamers find any gaming value in 1mm of radial movement on an Analog control, forget N64 emulation for example, it would be pretty much useless. I am scouring Chinese manufacturing sites for an already designed 2.5mm or 3mm analog input, but have found nothing yet.

/Excuse my post if I have assumed other gamers opinions, I am posting with as much accuracy as I have read.

Kloplop321 said:
They stopped because "it was too expensive", no they just were not making enough profit from it, they don't care about anybody, just greedy money money money.
Sorry to say, but no manufacturer will produce something without profit... no matter how many of us geeks want it. It's not like any of us would work a job if we weren't getting paid enough profit to justify the effort.

[troll mode on]
Stop posting on stupid polls and start searching the net for 2mm radius nubs!
[troll mode off?]

I hate having to wait even more for the Pandora, but I would regret a lot more if Pandora isn't perfect when I get it on my hands.

So I think it would be better to wait for good nubs...

BackAssward said:
Kloplop321 said:
Sorry to say, but no manufacturer will produce something without profit... no matter how many of us geeks want it. It's not like any of us would work a job if we weren't getting paid enough profit to justify the effort.

This is all true. But the Analog-Pads are one of the early parts of the Pandora. I remember that the first Video I've seen from Pandora-Devs were the old Analog-Pads in action. This was Months ago. So there was ENOUGH time for the manufacturer to tell Craigix& Co. that these thing is to expencive to produce. I only wonder why they told it NOW?

CoMiKe said:
[troll mode on]
Stop posting on stupid polls and start searching the net for 2mm radius nubs!
[troll mode off?]

I hate having to wait even more for the Pandora, but I would regret a lot more if Pandora isn't perfect when I get it on my hands.

So I think it would be better to wait for good nubs...
Already on that... Can anyone say if the recent PSP nubs are bad? I've heard the originals aren't so great (and don't center properly after much use), but what of the ones currently available?

/Sadly, I haven't found much outside the PSP ones.
//My Chinese manufacturing contacts are limited, I'm sure the development gang have more.

fusion_power said:
BackAssward said:
Kloplop321 said:

This is all true. But the Analog-Pads are one of the early parts of the Pandora. I remember that the first Video I've seen from Pandora-Devs were the old Analog-Pads in action. This was Months ago. So there was ENOUGH time for the manufacturer to tell Craigix& Co. that these thing is to expencive to produce. I only wonder why they told it NOW?

Who can comment on the internal workings of their company? Like you said, it's been a while, any number of things can have changed including sources for their parts, their company's holdings, their profit margins, etc, etc, ad infinitum. Suffice it to say, we're where we are... wondering why is a silly past time (no offense).

They've made a business descision for themselves, speculating here on why, is pointless and not productive.

/I suspect you question if the designers can't go back and re-kindle the deal, but I'm sure if that was a possibility, they would. So such speculation doesn't really further this any... sorry.

Reply to the below (I don't want to post too much):

Karel Jansens said:
A (further) delay would be a Big Bad Thing <TM> for me. I freely admit that I'm not a hardcore gamer and I've been looking at the Pandora primarily as a kick-ass UMPC/PMP replacement for my desillusion in the Nokia Tablets. I was really looking forward to getting my paws on one by the end of july, but the possibility of another two months of delay might have me start looking elsewhere.

Just to let you know; not that I think it'll matter much...
Brother, a lot of us want it now, and I know you know that. Respectively, I get your position and mirror it for the most part. No mater what though, I can't see anyone wanting it delivered with a useless Analog controller (you included, I hope). Best solution, they find an alternative sooner than later. If not, then the UMPC crowd will have to decide if the awesomeness of Pandora + a wait > finding another solution. I think I speak for many of us saying that we'd rather not lose you, but that the intent of the Pandora must come first. We hope your kind stick with the device until it is *ready*, but we also hope it isn't delivered until it is truly ready.

I know I'm part of a minority here, but I'm still going to chime in:

A (further) delay would be a Big Bad Thing <TM> for me. I freely admit that I'm not a hardcore gamer and I've been looking at the Pandora primarily as a kick-ass UMPC/PMP replacement for my desillusion in the Nokia Tablets. I was really looking forward to getting my paws on one by the end of july, but the possibility of another two months of delay might have me start looking elsewhere.

Just to let you know; not that I think it'll matter much...

Out of interest, how difficult would it be to make your own analogue nubs using a matrix of pads on the PCB, four springs and some plastic?

Already on that... Can anyone say if the recent PSP nubs are bad? I've heard the originals aren't so great (and don't center properly after much use), but what of the ones currently available?

I've never owned a PSP but I've testet the first PSP at the Games Convention. The Analog-Pad was at the completely wrong place and to small for my taste. The grip was poor if I remember correctly. All in all it could be good for little PSP kiddies but useless for my big Hands. That's why I liked the bigger Pandora nubs.

BackAssward said:
/I suspect you question if the designers can't go back and re-kindle the deal, but I'm sure if that was a possibility, they would. So such speculation doesn't really further this any... sorry.
Right. We only can wait and drink a tea. ^^ And let's hope the Gods (Craigix&Co.) do their best to find a solution. :D ....and now I'm searching in the Net for a good Analog-Nub to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back