And so it begins....

Vanil

Still Fresh
I got up today and after my morning vitamin, booted up the computer.

Even though I have been waiting over 2 years, like most of you. I went to my deals site and was reading up on what was new today.

I saw that Verizon stores are closing out first generation I-pad's, with a 64gb model going for $399.99 (US).

I was going to stop on my way to work and if they had any in stock I was going to buy it and ask for a refund from OPT.

Then I opened my email and lo and behold............IT SHIPPED!!!

The feeling for a new gadget fled, like the tired frustrated nerve that this two year wait has worked on, all is blue sky and puppy dogs.

So I join the small unwashed masses that are the pandora owners.

And almost a tear was shed.......... :)

YOU WERE CONSIDERING GETTING AN IPAD OVER PANDORA!!!1!!1!!11!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!11!!1!1!1!1111shiftttfftt111

YOU WERE CONSIDERING GETTING AN IPAD OVER PANDORA!!!1!!1!!11!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!11!!1!1!1!1111shiftttfftt111

no, I was considering getting an IPAD over a non-shipped two plus year old pandora!

I thank you for your kind and welcoming response to a new pandora owner. Its people like you who brighten up anyplace you leave.

sigh..........

Haha, sorry. Welcome aboard! Just the fact that you were considering getting an APPLE product over a Pandora was appalling :p . Glad your Pandora shipped so you didn't have to go that route. You won't regret waiting all that time. The Pandora was everything I expected, plus more.

I'm a small unwashed mass? :(

... No wonder I have social problems...

Damn you Pandora! ...

... I'm sorry my precious - I didn't mean it. Please forgive me! I'll be an unwashed mass just for you. :wub:

Welcome!

Today was your day, may the rest be filled with more hope than you bargained for :)

P.s Did you bring any of that...whats it called again.......soap? :rolleyes:

itb_kosh.jpg

Edit: someone here must get it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I own both a Pandora and an IPad. Although I love my Pandora and use it everyday, there are lots of scenarios where an IPad is 'better'.. i.e. my wife will not use my Pandora (too many buttons, I don't understand it, ect), the IPad is somehow non-intimidating to her, even a netbook scares her (doesn't matter that this fear is not based on logic, it exists nonetheless). She can 'just use' the IPad with minimum input / instruction from me, and she feels comfortable with it and it's OS.

Apps are available for almost anything even close to mainstream you might need to do, with no complexity in getting them to work. I.E. I download Pogoplug app, run it.. BAM I can access my files from anywhere. I download Xfinity app and BAM I can change channels on my TV. Show me that level of simplicity on the Pandora and we can 'start' to claim one is better than the other. 2 different devices with different strengths.

The screen size alone makes it more useful for anyone with bad eyesight.

It makes a very functional breakfast try for Tea and Scones.

With the installed Zagg shield I can even use it as a cutting board.

Don't get me wrong, I relinquished my IPad when I got my Pandora as it serves 'my' needs well enough, I don't miss my wifes IPad, but to disparage a great piece of hardware and a great software library just because it isn't open is not an accurate assesment, and certainly griefing someone because they 'almost' chose a platform other than 'your' choice is a bit close minded IMHO.

Twiitcher

I had NOTHING to do with it.

I own an iPad, an iPhone, and a Pandora. My uses with all three do not really interfere with each other, and they each have their pros and cons. They kind of mesh well together for me.

Also, congrats on the shipping notice!

I absolutely agree with you on how easy it is to use the i-products.

This is something I desperately want the Pandora to do. I'm trying to make it happen, I'm speaking to people about it. It will happen, it may happen slowly but it shall take place.

QUOTE : "So I join the small unwashed masses that are the pandora owners."

Perhaps other potential owners might find this informative.....there is no time for washing/personal hygiene....once you become a pandora owner.

Welcome to the madhouse Vanil :)

As far as ease of use of Iproducts... part of the reason IMO is that being a closed platform, the mainstream applications developers can control the closedness of their application hence they like the Apple paradigm of vetting and closed software (i.e. NO way I'm coding for your machine, the hardware is too open and someone will steal my code). Also with the large installed user base support makes sense for that them on that platform. (i.e. 8000 users? I don't have time to code for such a small user base).

I'm not sure how those 2 issues can be resolved on the Pandora platform, it's too open for mainstream developers to be comfortable with, and the limited user base make it not worth coding specifically for us. Of course I'm just a normal user and perhaps don't have the business insights to accurately diagnose the issue or solve it. I'm just mumbling mentally based on my limited view.

Twiitcher

As far as ease of use of Iproducts... part of the reason IMO is that being a closed platform, the mainstream applications developers can control the closedness of their application hence they like the Apple paradigm of vetting and closed software (i.e. NO way I'm coding for your machine, the hardware is too open and someone will steal my code). Also with the large installed user base support makes sense for that them on that platform. (i.e. 8000 users? I don't have time to code for such a small user base).

I'm not sure how those 2 issues can be resolved on the Pandora platform, it's too open for mainstream developers to be comfortable with, and the limited user base make it not worth coding specifically for us. Of course I'm just a normal user and perhaps don't have the business insights to accurately diagnose the issue or solve it. I'm just mumbling mentally based on my limited view.

Twiitcher

To me what attracts me to the Pandora is that it is open, It has a community of people taking what's available in the opensource world and getting it to work on a nice handheld device. Part of the fun with the Pandora for me is there are these challenges.

I don't see why there would be an issue with closed sourced developers developing for the Pandora. it's stupid to think that the Pandora is too open.. seriously if that was the case people wouldn't make any programs for the PC or MAC.. both those platforms can be very open. These developers can generate binaries and not release the source code if they wished. Now marketing and small user base that's another story.

Personally I wouldn't care if the Pandora ever gets any mainstream developer support. IMO we don't need them.

I absolutely agree with you on how easy it is to use the i-products.

This is something I desperately want the Pandora to do. I'm trying to make it happen, I'm speaking to people about it. It will happen, it may happen slowly but it shall take place.
The best thing to happen to the Pandora from a usability standpoint in months is PNDstore, which happened despite your original opposition to the idea that made it possible.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I hope you enjoy your new Pandora! I can understand your interest in getting a iPad... it is nice for a lot of applications.

As for me, I always chuckle at anyone asserting one product is a be all end all for everything. You use the tool that is most appropriate for your needs and skills.

I personally have an iPhone, iPad and a new Blackberry Playbook. I use them all and it will be interesting to see how my use changes between these gadgets once I get the Pandora.

I suspect I will use the Pandora mainly for the occasional game playing. (MAME and NeoGeo will likely be my areas of play.) But who knows? I bought the Playbook for my significant other to link with her Blackberry yet I do use it a lot more than I ever expected. (When I can actually get my hands on it... she loves it.)

I have to say I really, really like the Playbook. It has a nice size and the interface rocks. Now that I'm used to it, the iPad interface seems very kludgy in comparison. The Playbook really is made to have multiple apps open really smoothly. And the web browser rocks... I have yet to hit a site that does not render correctly. (Which is something I can not say about the iPad.) If I have a choice between the iPad and Playbook I actually will grab the Playbook first.

Cheers.

Back