Android, Chrome OS & Ubuntu for Beagleboard - Current Bounty $425

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Hawkey drew my attention to this on the other boards.

Summary from the official site :

Four OS fully optimized and configured for the Beagleboard

Always Innovating is pleased to announce Super-Jumbo for the Beagleboard family (also compatible with Touch Book & Smart Book). Super-Jumbo a single image which provides four operating systems fully optimized for the OMAP3 chip, and aggregates hundreds of applications already set up for you across the four major ARM operating, i.e. AIOS (complete full features Angstrom fork), Android Gingerbread v2.3, Ubuntu Maverick 10.10, and ChromiumOS (first time ever released for OMAP3). Our single kernel is compatible across the whole Beagleboard and Touch Book families.

This seems rather excellent, if you've got a Beagleboard.

My questions for all you Gurus out there :

1) If it works on Beagleboard does it mean that the Pandora is capable of running it as well?

2) How much work would it take to get this running on Pandora?

EDIT : Bounty stuff

Bounty - 425 USD

johnsongrantr - 200 USD

MarioPandio - 50 USD

TylerAW - 50 USD

Esslan - 50 USD

John D - 50 USD

Gekko90 - 25 USD

General Requirements

Please read the pledge posts to see more details of what individuals want for their money.

Port the following operating systems to the Pandora (fully optimized and configured for general purpose use):

- Android Gingerbread v2.3

Optional:

- Ubuntu Maverick 10.10

- ChromiumOS

Last edited by a moderator:
They do boot but would require a handful of changes, including tslib, pndlib, and possibly kernel changes.

My results in getting Ubuntu 11.04 to run were minimal, not getting any further than the initial kernel boot.

They do boot but would require a handful of changes, including tslib, pndlib, and possibly kernel changes.

My results in getting Ubuntu 11.04 to run were minimal, not getting any further than the initial kernel boot.

Wow, amazed they'll even boot without some changes.

@ Craig, you've said in the past you'd like to see Android on Pandora, would it be worth stumping up a bit of the Dev fund to get this working well on Pandora? IMHO it would be well worth it, but my gut feeling is I'd be in a minority as far as the overall community is concerned.

Crossing my fingers that one day we'll see this working on Pandora.

Yes I would like to see this running and get some reports about how well it runs.

However my views have slightly altered in regards to what the default OS should be, I'm now leaning to an enhanced version of minimenu as the default OS.

I do plan a post about these thoughts sometime soon, when I actually have more than a few minutes to spare±

Maybe someone should make a bounty ?

pandoraiyo460.jpg

Agreed , this would be awsome :)

put me down for $200

Wow that's quite a start, would you care to clearly explain what you would want for someone to get the $200.
I'm just looking for a bootable functional android, but chromeOS and Ubuntu would be nice too. Specifics on what version aren't really important to me, as long as it boots + touchscreen works and hopefully keyboard function I'd be happy.

I understand it's a whole lot of work, if this is going to be seriously looked at, then there's going to need some motivation. It's about all I can afford to put up right now.

Wow so theres a $2oo bounty for the Droid OS. hopefully this picture will motivate people too

pic not originally by me. only edited the screen

pandoraiyo460.jpg

I'd be willing to stump a further $50 and I don't even know what Android really is, as I've never used it, let alone ChromeOS or Ubuntu. :rolleyes:

Johnsongrantr's review of the XperiaPlay made Gingerbread sound pretty interesting though and my opinion is that whilst the mainstay of official support should reside with Angstrom XFCE, as currently, the more options of OS that become available, surely helps show off Pandora's versatility and more importantly opens up further market interest. To my eyes both good things for the Pandora project and future OPT products. If a good Android set up could be achieved, surely many potential tablet users/smart phone buyers would be swayed Pandora way instead?

I'd envisage a one day scenario of a boot manager/gui switcher, allowing for easy switching between all the alternatives we currently have and any more that come along, coupled with if at all possible, revisions of Dave1234's SD installer to allow for partitions for these multiple OS to be set up from an easy PND installer. As a Newb its easy for me to say such a thing from ignorance of the work involved but as the pre-orders eventually get filled, that's thousands more joining the community and hopefully more Dev's to share the workload but its astounding whats already been achieved by the few we have, who have made Pandora great and who deserve our thanks thus far. :)

put me down for $200
You should publicize your bounty in a new thread with information regarding requirements to win the bounty.

Will also keep a tally of bounties offered here in the thread subtitle.
Edit the first post in the thread and add something like this:

Requirements

Port the following operating systems to the Pandora (fully optimized and configured for general purpose use):

- Android Gingerbread v2.3

Optional:

- Ubuntu Maverick 10.10

- ChromiumOS

Bounty - 250 USD

johnsongrantr - 200 USD

MarioPandio - 50 USD

Edit:

Maybe include this image too (inspired from )

w3vxf.png

Back