Android, Chrome OS & Ubuntu for Beagleboard - Current Bounty $425

Thought this might be worth a bump due to the recent fine efforts of Notaz

If you pledged a bounty I guess it's up to you to decide if the current version of Android is worthy of your pledge.

If you require additional improvements for your bounty to be paid then why not clearly outline them here?

You can donate directly to Notaz by clicking the paypal donate button at the bottom of the left hand column of this page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly planning to honour my pledge to notaz in this instance, as his r2 build (haven't had a chance to try r3 yet) is a way ahead of the Droidora project already (not that thats intended as any slur, as that project came to an end early, when the devs Pandora was returned).

The fact it boots from within angstrom (or by shutting that down via its pnd) is also great. Rather than a separate SD needed, or fancy dual boot partitioning etc. It seems pretty snappy at just 800mhz too, so I guess I'd just like to see what developments the community adds to this (as notaz has indicated its ugly code to work magic on) and If the internet, gaming buttons and perhaps bluetooth to allow for iCP useage via BluezIME is made possible, then I'll pony up the whole amount, probably paying $30 of the $50 I pledged asap anyway. As its fine work already :)

I'll post here again when I've paid up partly or in full.

Android would suck so bad on the pandora.

Things that would suck so bad as to not even be playable - Scummvm, Planescape, Quake almost anything that requires mouse accuracy etc.

An enhanced version of MiniMenu would be a million times better and is the way forward. Some nice short cut controls to start playing Mp3s in a certain folder and to stop playing them also with skip and random function (bit like a psp mod where you'd hit a combination of keys to play the mp3s - so they'd be no gui or anything )

As soon as android is on this everyone will go...I might as well use my phone.

You maybe right but I think the idea is to get things the Pandora native OS can't do currently, available via Android upon Pandora instead and if the Pandora can do some things Android can't, then you use the Pandora for those functions, as you did before. There's no need to replace one with the other.

Simply that this will garner further interest from Android type folk toward the Pandora and in the process show, that even more open systems are capable of more. Sure we aren't going to be making phone calls, using gyro functions, or having built in GPS via 3 or 4g on our Pandoras anytime soon but that hopefully doesn't stop us exploiting additional software where possible and helping to sell more Pandoras in the process, so that P2, P3 etc become a reality and this team finally make some decent profit for their hardwork so far :) .

Then you'd best be leaving, because Notaz has a PND that runs Android. It's far from the best of thing, but it still runs surprisingly well for a beta, in my opinion.

I don't see why I can't enjoy both native Linux and Android. Honestly don't see much use for Android outside of the Kindle reader and maybe netflix if the OS can be optimized a little better.

Android would suck so bad on the pandora.

You would suck so bad on the Pandora...

In all seriousness, I don't know why people would have anything negative to say. It's not like it hurts you or your Pandora experience in any way. Android just gives us more software options, which IMO is never a bad thing.

Android is not going to replace the current software on the Pandora. The next version of the OS is actively being developed/discussed here:

http://boards.openpa...xt-development/

I suggest you check it out to see where the project is heading; it's really neat. Anyway, I donated 15$ to Notaz for this. I'm very appreciative of all his hard work.

Hello everyone and particularly notaz,

It's been an age since I posted and I am guilty of not yet paying notaz his pledged part of the Android bounty for his work. I haven't managed to check it out since the r3 version I believe and so much has been happening, that I am unlikely to be able to do so for some time.

I doubt my presence has been found lacking upon the boards and there has been a ton of developments in all kinds of areas, production, software, OS revisions and no doubt tons more that would have gladly drowned me out anyway but things have not been good lately.

I have been in abject poverty for some time anyway, before my wife has decided upon a messy divorce and sole custody of my five children for which I must seek access to with the gulag of the family courts and I have frankly been taken to the cleaners already and am now due the mangle and pressing of the courts, to a heart wrenching prospect of seeing my children so rarely, I am barely able to see the future at all.

I have spent time recently in a mental health unit to ensure I don't kill myself and am on food packages and seeking protected housing from the criminal extortion artist landlord I was unwittingly vulnerable enough to sign up under, in order to satisfy my wifes desire to temporarily separate under her pressure to do so, in a promised bid to fix our relationship, my health and our families health, ahead of the councils rehousing schemes efforts. Amid promises I would not be left in the gutter. Whilst the benefit system saw fit to that in January and the mental health system has let me down so much that things have come to the point they have now.

I have always backed the Pandora project and had planned to invest heavily if I had made it to Dentistry but that has become a distant prospect now. Along with plans to help in third world countries with actual practical help and solutions, rather than millenium village projects that dump unuseable assets in the desert to rot along with its peoples.

Now, whilst I was in the mental health unit I met a true tech head and linux guru among the staff, for the first time and he was very interested in Pandora. SO hopefully he will be buying a new 1ghz unit along with some friends of his. Plus it proved useful on a number of times for various patients.

However, prior to the divorce news was a trip to Devon and on that first day, the LCD cable gave the PTOD syndrome and thus I shall also need this replaced at some point, outside of warranty at whatever cost in future. But it has held up for well over 6 weeks in this condition and it is, as far as I know, potentially one of the new cables, rather than the old, sadly.

It has done at least a year and a half if not 2 years daily service with no issues previously and I suspect it it is perhaps just the connector loose on one end or the other, rather than a fully damaged cable.

Yet I now lack access to any tools to check this due to my full separation from my family home and any financial position to spare cash for a screwdriver set to check this simple issue.

I shall pay up notaz bounty in the future and I wish all the forum members and wider community better times.

Pandemonium perhaps...

;)

MP

@ Mario :

Sounds like you've hit a real rough patch, keep your chin up, sounds like things can only get better. Don't be a stranger on the boards either, keep us posted as to how you're getting on. Best of luck for the future.

Wow! First time logging on in about a year (had to do some military service), and I was wondering how the Adroid project had been going.

I've just read up here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/8626-android-gingerbread-in-a-pnd/ on notaz's efforts, and I'd say this answers the bounty! Looks like mission accomplished ;) . Notaz, I see you're not motivated by the money aspect - and while I can totally appreciate it (money does not drive me either), you should be able to have a few beers for your accomplishments from those who are truly grateful for your work. I'm looking forward to downloading the .pnd tonight when I get home.

Well done!

Merry Xmas notaz

I've finally payed up my bounty after a battle with forgotten paypal logins (even though you felt I shouldn't) :)

Thanks for all the hardwork on this, the firmware and the amazing PCSX project. Off to get a 1ghz model so I can see Android at its best :)

Sorry to bump the thread otherwise folks ;)

What an excellent reason to bump a fine thread!

Notaz, did you get enough donations for a new pandora Linux-SWAT style? :D

Off topic : There are other boards ?! I mean I knew about Gp2x but this got me thinking what if there are other boards where there focus is ( partially ) centered around the Pandora . Like Parel universes . Oh wait there is a Turkish community right ? Sorry for being so OT .

Back