android on pandora

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
I read alot of the topics on gp32x about android on pandora but I don't think it really got the serious attention it deserved. Well except from the naysayers saying how they have no intrest in it, or don't see the point, or doesn't want it because it wouldn't run well or whatever. I ran across this MID this morning running the same cortex A8 and a resistive touch screen of the same resolution running the latest and greatest android 2.2 froyo running the official android market. Honestly it looks amazing, but it's missing a vital feature; a proper gaming controller. Please take another look at officially supporting android for the pandora as a flashable image or starting up a community project to get android ported. There are some of us out there that want it, but lack the skills to be able to port it ourselves, however a small minority we may be.

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_36_66&products_id=430

The market has alot of the same titles or clones of the same titles and emulators as the pandora currently has in it's market. (minus stuff like the beta n64 emu etc) Android is soon to be the most popular mobile handheld os in the world next to nokia and blackberry OS and is about to, if it hasn't already, overtaken winmo and iphoneOS in popularity. Implemtation of an android port on pandora is to be expected at some point in the future but no project has been started yet to my knowledge.

EDIT: and I'm very aware of the odroid

EDIT2: oh and here's adobe flash 10.1 full in .apk form, for anything running android 2.2 (don't worry no warez)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LCLJY2D4

Last edited by a moderator:
Paranoid!

Put me in the naysayers category for the moment. I'll want to use the Pandora as it comes for a bit.

But I may have a serious think about playing with this in the future, by then it should be as easy as downloading the latest PND. :p

I think the naysayers from the other boards were more against Android being the main OS, rather than being an option.

If it were an option it is not one that I would use as I have an Android phone and have no reason to have the use of 2 Android OSes. But I can understand that some people would want the use of it.

If it arrives then great, if not then meh. :D

I think the naysayers from the other boards were more against Android being the main OS, rather than being an option.

If it were an option it is not one that I would use as I have an Android phone and have no reason to have the use of 2 Android OSes. But I can understand that some people would want the use of it.

If it arrives then great, if not then meh. :D
there were some who either just were 100% agianst the idea of android at all though. Most of their arguements have been shot down except for the argument of "no..just no" that or "facepalm" i really have no opposing viewpoint to those kinda comments.

but I agree most were agianst the idea of android as the main OS, but that's kinda where the conversation stopped, people didn't hate the idea but nobody was moving forward with the next step.

the good thing about having 2 devices running android, all your purchases follow you and are installable on anything that has your account bound to it and no need to repurchase the same app twice. also your personalized OS settings (wifi hotspots, wallpaper, installed apps etc etc) are all backed up and synced with your devices, address books and calendars and whatnot are all in the cloud so they also sync with your gmail account too. I personally enjoy being able to pick up either of my android phones and know everything is the same on either phone if I want it to be. (feature, not a standard)

A lot of people who have bought the Pandora don't want android. These people have made it possible for the OPT to develop and produce the Pandora. At the time of sale, android was not in the picture. This reason alone is an important reason not to make android the main os.

The Pandora is an open device, no one can prevent anybody from running other operating systems, including android.

I applaud any effort to develop android on the Pandora either as an OS bootable from SD or as a customized firmware flash. The default OS is already in place, there is no reason to change it.

A lot of people who have bought the Pandora don't want android. These people have made it possible for the OPT to develop and produce the Pandora. At the time of sale, android was not in the picture. This reason alone is an important reason not to make android the main os.

The Pandora is an open device, no one can prevent anybody from running other operating systems, including android.

I applaud any effort to develop android on the Pandora either as an OS bootable from SD or as a customized firmware flash. The default OS is already in place, there is no reason to change it.
I'm not questioning it as the official main os, and that arguement is dead 100 times over it looks like.

I just want it as an option... maybe even an offical option.. but my question is what's going on with that part? Nothing has been said about it even being worked on.

I'm not questioning it as the official main offical os, and that arguement is dead 100 times over it looks like.

I just want it as an option... maybe even an offical option.. but my question is what's going on with that part? Nothing has been said about it even being worked on.
sorry, but i'm not even sure openpandora team can maintain 1 OS, so why would they support 2 OS at the same time? not having at least 1 rock solid OS would ruin the pandora. feel free to build android for the pandora, that would be great, but please don't ask open pandora dev team to officialy support that.

sorry, but i'm not even sure openpandora team can maintain 1 OS, so why would they support 2 OS at the same time? not having at least 1 rock solid OS would ruin the pandora. feel free to build android for the pandora, that would be great, but please don't ask open pandora dev team to officialy support that.
well maintain is a big one, but how about a catch and release type of deal... start the initial port and release it to the community to update/fix I'm sure those interested in doing that would pick up the reins on that.

If I could port it I would... but I can't... I've tried and failed.

well maintain is a big one, but how about a catch and release type of deal... start the initial port and release it to the community to update/fix I'm sure those interested in doing that would pick up the reins on that.

If I could port it I would... but I can't... I've tried and failed.
I thought someone already had an early version running a while back. Let me google that...Yes, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFSv7lYuGg. Maybe you can contact him and see what needs to be done.

I would defer any effort by OPT on this until after delivery of the first batch. In the meanwhile improving the main OS and producing more Pandoras has a higher priority.

I would defer any effort by OPT on this until after delivery of the first batch. In the meanwhile improving the main OS and producing more Pandoras has a higher priority.
yup, that was exactly my point

Having flash through Froyo is desirable for me. And I'm not a fan of Android either.

Pandora does not have the hardware requirements to get approved as an "official" Android device by Google (no gps, no accelerometers, no camera); that means that Android on pandora won't ever have (legal) access to the Android Market.

Android without the market can probably still be useful, just like all the alternate distro firmwares (Debian, Gentoo, etc.) are useful, but it won't be the same Android you're used to on Google-blessed smartphones.

Pandora does not have the hardware requirements to get approved as an "official" Android device by Google (no gps, no accelerometers, no camera); that means that Android on pandora won't ever have (legal) access to the Android Market.
What a silly requirement. It makes much more sense to attach such requirements to applications rather than to hardware.

There have never really been many naysayers.

The only real trick is ..we need bodies, to do the work :) Can talk all we want, but until we have bodies, its irrelevent.

I think with more shipped units, more folks will be into the fray, and more OSes will come about (Android, Gentoo, etc.) Theres only a few of us doing this sort of thing right now, and us 'more core' folks are tired out wrecks still, and tied up with the hotfixe-type improvements (and, god forbid, our own projects when we get a moment :)

So yes, I think it'll happen, when theres people with spare cycles to do it :) (Remember, no one is paid for any of this; all the many apps (Pickle, stevem, etc etc), and all the firmware etc, is put together by people with jobs and families, and I think everyone is doing quite spectacularly :)

jeff

He's left the OpenPandora world completely it seems.

I think cpas got busy; he was very busy the last few months before release; I don't think he has left any group, in somuch as life has made him too busy to keep up with his many platforms :)

jeff

What a silly requirement. It makes much more sense to attach such requirements to applications rather than to hardware.

Not really this silly: google wants to prevent the huge differentiation that made writing applications for java ME a mess.

Android without the market can probably still be useful, just like all the alternate distro firmwares (Debian, Gentoo, etc.) are useful, but it won't be the same Android you're used to on Google-blessed smartphones.
that link i gave in the OP shows a hacked in or unofficial.. or possibly even "illegal" port of the market on that device.

If you purchase a device that has the offical android market, you then own the license that allows you to take licensed software onto any other device you want. This is the problem that popular android hacker cyanogen ran into a couple years ago, and after speaking with the google developers and their legal department they came up with a way you can extract and replace all the propriatary code from one phone running android and import it to another. 100% legal and offically approved.

as far as hardware requirements, it will eventually come, as wifi only android tablets become more of a norm. When that happens they will start looking at supporting different hardware platforms officially. Hasn't happened yet of course.

Back