Android vs Pandora

jabz

Thinking about a few things, I only use my Pandora for emu gaming. Was considering getting the Samsung Galaxy S3 and sell off my iPhone 4S, and use the Galaxy with ICP

Which system has more readily available emulators Pandora or Android? I'm not up with the play on Android emulators, are they as good as the Pandora ones? I like trying out all retro emulators. My main systems are C64, Amiga 500, PSX, N64, DOSBOX, Mame and ScummVM,

Last edited by a moderator:
Having made some experience in the last weeks with a Asus Transformer Prime, I would cleary vote for the Pandora. I have to admit though that I only tested the free versions of some emulators (for Amiga 500, NES, SNES, GameBoy). Dosbox didn't work for me - but could be interesting so see, whats possible with horsepower of a Transfomer Prime or a S3. ScummVM worked, but at least Monkey Island 3 looked awfull (tried the Market and the SDL - Version of it) maybe it looks better on a smaller screen

Get an Android device if you're not serious about retro gaming.

I strongly disagree sir! :ph34r:

I got myself a Yinlips YDPG18A and seriously it proves to be a real competitor for the Pandora. I am still testing it, but so far I am extremely impressed at how much it can do (and it costed me less than one third of what the OP costed). Sure it has an inferior battery life (though much better than exopected) and Playstation emulation is not as good, but arcade and 16-bit is top notch. Plus you get some really nice 3D android games (Spectral Souls with buttons is amazing). And music/video playback and web navigation is much better than on the Pandora. There are a few complaints about the quality of the ROM, but upgrades are coming in regularly and quality is picking up.

I'll definitely write a full review in a couple of ... probably weeks ;-)

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also say the Pandora all day long, and I don't even own one yet.

Playstation on the Pandora looks awesome, it's not so on the Android devices that I have seen it on, used.

The older systems are ok, like NES/SNES/MD/GBA, but these all have the controls mapped onto the screen which I am not sure you can remove...

...so even though you will be using your ICP to control, you might still have those annoying controls ghost mapped over your game screen.

Pandora screen shows just the game, as it was meant to be.

Some of the Android emus may let you disable the on-screen pad/buttons from displaying, but I'm not sure.

TBH, I don't like ScummVM on Android. I can't get used to the way you control the mouse; also my phone doesn't have enough buttons for a "right mouse button". Used to love it on my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone though.

having an android device I'dd prefer to avoid it for anything else than a phone... that GCW seems really interesting otherwise... too bad all my money for a mobile plateform is actually invested somewhere

Also, we now have Android on the Pandora, so you can play the 3D games with your DPad and buttons as well, ADITIONALLY to the awesome fill Linux Mini PC desktop :)

Back