Angstrom Online Image Builder

ttcircus

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,
I just noticed a new post on the Angstrom website:

"You can select a machine and packages you want and the image builder will create a tar.bz2 image using the packages available in the feeds. That means you can create an up-to-date image at anytime from anywhere!"

So you can just go there http://amethyst.openembedded.net/~koen/narcissus/

and build a image specifically for the pandora for example with the packages you want. I thought a few people would be interested.

Have a nice day! :)

benjymous said:
Except Pandora isn't one of the platforms in the dropdown

It is "omap3-pandora"

Does it mean all the packages listed there work for the pandora :eek: ScummVM; Duke nukem 3d :eek:

Or is that not the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda Wrong

They will work with processor in terms of it being OMAP3

Howver will probably need to be tweaked to fit the display for the Pandora and other things such as additional RAM, Wifi, Bluetooth, specifically for Pandora

Wait a bit for the official Pandora listing to be there otherwise you will be doing loads of endless tweaks as I used to in the old days with my old Zaurus

RajTakhar said:
Kinda Wrong

Howver will probably need to be tweaked to fit the display for the Pandora and other things such as additional RAM, Wifi, Bluetooth, specifically for Pandora

Wait a bit for the official Pandora listing to be there otherwise you will be doing loads of endless tweaks as I used to in the old days with my old Zaurus

I wasnt planning on using it.

Thanks RajTakhar for these quite important and relevant details.
As it's stated, it is a "proof of concept".
However that can be useful for future reference. We could imagine the pandora tweaks to be added there.

Bosbeetle said:
Does it mean all the packages listed there work for the pandora :eek: ScummVM; Duke nukem 3d :eek:
They're binary possible right now (As in there's an ARM version and it might be able to run on the Pandora out of box...), but you're going to need some minimal tweakage in screen sizes, etc. on some of the stuff there. If it's available for the Nokia web tablet, it should be almost an out-of-the-box experience. Otherwise, your mileage will vary.

The big takeaway from this all is: If you see it in the list for Angstrom for OMAP3/ARM, it's likely to be available either at ship time or shortly thereafter for the Pandora. ;)

All of it.

I don't know about you. But it's the x86 QEMU version that really gets me wet. Obviously a virtualized x86 environment isn't that close to the Pandora in terms of... well... anything much, but it will provide plenty of opportunity for creating and testing Matchbox themes.

RajTakhar said:
Kinda Wrong

Doesn't that still save time for the people porting?

mazza558 said:
When the image is assembled, can you download it and run in a VM?
Depends on the image and depends on what you set up, but yeah... If you set it all up right, one could do theme work, game and app UI fit and finish work, etc. You just won't have a good performance metric for the stuff using it. You'll still need to cross-compile and verify on the target platform.

Username said:
Doesn't that still save time for the people porting?
Definitely. There IS a reason I kept telling people that it's either likely to be available at rollout or shortly thereafter in many cases. If it graces that list or has an IPKG for Nokia Nxxx webtablets, it's likely to be largely there.

WoD said:
I don't know about you. But it's the x86 QEMU version that really gets me wet. Obviously a virtualized x86 environment isn't that close to the Pandora in terms of... well... anything much, but it will provide plenty of opportunity for creating and testing Matchbox themes.
While virtualised x86 qemu may be useful useful, for testing themes Xephyr is probably a better choice and for porting to arm emulated ARM qemu is the only choice.

Is it just me, or does the website not worked:
I selected omap3-pandora
selected:
task-boot
task-base
task-base-extended

matchbox

abiword
firefox
pidgin im

and then hit build, and it hung there for about 1 hour doing nothing. I hit refresh, a green check mark went next to assembling image but the page refreshed, so I lost my progress. Did anyone get it to work?

sindbad said:
While virtualised x86 qemu may be useful useful, for testing themes Xephyr is probably a better choice and for porting to arm emulated ARM qemu is the only choice.
My attempt to get the Angstrom image working in Parallels, in any capacity, was entirely unsuccessful. It's not bootable in the traditional sense, and not an image in the sense I am used to dealing with. So fail on that count, I'm not "teh linux enuff" to get it working.

Did anyone manage to get a qemu image to boot? I tried both x86 and arm, but failed. I never used qemu before, but it does not seem too hard. I am only missing the raw image for the root fs.

Please apologize my noobishness ...

Back