Another Angle For The Pandora...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilrad

So has the possibility of marketing the Pandora as an e-dictionary ever come up? I know 'it's possible', like just about every other idea somebody might come up with in regards to the software, but what about a focus on it, making sure all major language dictionaries can be accessible (or at least painlessly installed) out of the box? In fact, if it's somewhat feasible to implement, maybe some international models could be made available with different keyboard labels and layout. Considering the way some e-dictionaries are going, a $320 system that can translate as well as the others might not be such a bad idea for plenty of people.

As it is, as far as I am concerned, it's already a 3-in-1 system, might as well make it a 4-in-1 system.

The only real issue is the fact that most of the REALLY good e-dict stuff is all closed source. There are some ok open source ones that could be ported.. But none of them stack up to the ones I have seen running...

Gilrad said:
So has the possibility of marketing the Pandora as an e-dictionary ever come up? I know 'it's possible', like just about every other idea somebody might come up with in regards to the software, but what about a focus on it, making sure all major language dictionaries can be accessible (or at least painlessly installed) out of the box? In fact, if it's somewhat feasible to implement, maybe some international models could be made available with different keyboard labels and layout. Considering the way some e-dictionaries are going, a $320 system that can translate as well as the others might not be such a bad idea for plenty of people.

As it is, as far as I am concerned, it's already a 3-in-1 system, might as well make it a 4-in-1 system.
Personally, I don't understand the whole "e-dictionary" thing. Of course, as I have pointed out in other threads, I am an uncultured American swine. (Not that all Americans are uncultured - or swine - I just happen to be all three.) If you don't speak my language - that's your problem. :) I don't go anywhere that requires me to speak another language... well, not since I got my own washer and dryer and no longer go to the laundry mat. :)

My point is - there have been pocket-sized electronic translators / dictionaries *at least* a decade. Surely you could find one for less than $100 - much less $300 (or $400 as the case for the Europeans among us - where I would imagine it would be more popular than here in the States. Although - aren't all you fine intelligent well-educated Europeans multi-lingual from birth, hence making the e-dictionary useless to you polyglots?)

I know there are e-dictionaries in Asia that go for billions of Yen - but they aren't actually e-dictionaries. They are UMPCs pretending to be dictionaries so the kids can use them in class.

BTW - what is the 3-in-1? Gaming / Web / Media? Emulators / Native Games / Applications? UMPC / PMP / PSP? Communication / Entertainment / Recreation?

I could come up with much more than 4-in-1s, but basically it's a Gaming UMPC to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
Gilrad said:

Personally, I don't understand the whole "e-dictionary" thing. Of course, as I have pointed out in other threads, I am an uncultured American swine. (Not that all Americans are uncultured - or swine - I just happen to be all three.) If you don't speak my language - that's your problem. :) I don't go anywhere that requires me to speak another language... well, not since I got my own washer and dryer and no longer go to the laundry mat. :)

My point is - there have been pocket-sized electronic translators / dictionaries *at least* a decade. Surely you could find one for less than $100 - much less $300 (or $400 as the case for the Europeans among us - where I would imagine it would be more popular than here in the States. Although - aren't all you fine intelligent well-educated Europeans multi-lingual from birth, hence making the e-dictionary useless to you polyglots?)

I know there are e-dictionaries in Asia that go for billions of Yen - but they aren't actually e-dictionaries. They are UMPCs pretending to be dictionaries so the kids can use them in class.

BTW - what is the 3-in-1? Gaming / Web / Media? Emulators / Native Games / Applications? UMPC / PMP / PSP? Communication / Entertainment / Recreation?

I could come up with much more than 4-in-1s, but basically it's a Gaming UMPC to me.

Do you even listen to your self sometimes?
Did you ever think that one device is more bag/pocket friendly than 2?
What about the simple case of its cheaper if you only buy one?

We are all PAINFULY aware that you consider this a Gaming UMPC.. I think you state this EVERY post.
SINCE its a UMPC e-dict functionality is something that is worthwhile. Something that somebody SHOULD look into.
Hell even the DS can do it.. Its called Touch-Dic.

The uses I think my pandora will see the most are Gaming/Web browsing/mp3 playing/(if it's well done) jap-english dictionary-ing.

Believe it or not there are quite a bit of language students, and the first thing they blow their money on (even before all the ridiculous travel agency costs) is an e-dictionary.

Dictionary quality can be a bit of an issue, though... But perhaps if the Pandora creates enough interest in e-dictionaries, it could encourage people to work on improving them. At least, I would hope so.

Tom` said:
Insanemal said:
Touch-Dic.
:blink:
Touch Dic?
:lol: :D :lol:

Yeah im serious. But its pretty good software. Comparable with some of the high end e-dict with some voice rec and speech abilitys.
(havent played with it so i cant say how good it is.. but the reviews were quite good)

Insanemal said:
Do you even listen to your self sometimes?
Yes, I was singing in the shower earlier today. It was quite lovely for an amateur.

Did you ever think that one device is more bag/pocket friendly than 2?

Yes - but it seemed to me that the OP was talking about marketing it as an e-dictionary first. Like that would be the only reason that certain individuals would buy it. My thinking was, if all you need is an e-dictionary, there would be cheaper ways to do this. Cheaper, more focused, and most likely better at that single purpose.

What about the simple case of its cheaper if you only buy one?

What were the other things these potential buyers would be replacing? Again, the title of the thread is "Another Angle" - and the OP was very specific in relating all of this to marketing. If you market the Pandora as an e-dictionary - then the rest of it (gaming, web, media, whatever) is the gravy - while the translation is the meat. Which, to me, doesn't seem the be the case, since there has been no mention, before this post, that I am aware of, of the Pandora being used in such a way. Just a side mention that there are e-dictionaries in Asia that are similar to the Pandora - only not as powerful, and without the gaming controls.

But the focus of the OP - from my reading of the post - was marketing it as an e-dictionary. Which, from all I've seen, it is not.

We are all PAINFULY aware that you consider this a Gaming UMPC.. I think you state this EVERY post.

Actually, I don't. Only in recent conversations where classifying the Pandora has been an issue of the discussion - or, as is the case in this discussion - *THE* issue of the discussion. Context, my friend, context.

And, as much as it pains me to admit this, not everyone on this forum reads every one of my posts. So, if I repeat myself in different conversations - it is because there might be different people involved.

SINCE its a UMPC e-dict functionality is something that is worthwhile. Something that somebody SHOULD look into.

I never said that no one should port e-dictionary software. I was, again in the context of this thread, speaking of marketing. The Pandora is not an e-dictionary. It was mentioned that the best e-dictionaries are proprietary, so they are not likely to be ported to the Pandora. It is not best to market a product in an area in which it is weak, especially when there are many other areas in which the Pandora is strong. I'd mention what I think they are - but that would be repeating myself.

Hell even the DS can do it.. Its called Touch-Dic.

Horrible name... But even the GameBoy (original) had basic translation/dictionary software.
  • Infogenius Frommer's Travel
  • Infogenius Personal Organizer
  • Infogenius Spell Checker
  • Infogenius Translator (French)
  • Infogenius Translator (Spanish)
All of which should work out of the box, you just need the ROM.

I *do* see the value in having dictionary/translation software available. I do *NOT* see the wisdom in marketing it as an e-dictionary. Which is what the OP was talking about, I believe.

{edited typos}

Of course, marketing it as ONLY an e-dictionary wouldn't be the best idea; same as it wouldn't be marketed as ONLY an mp3 player, or ONLY a umpc (though I could have been a bit more clearer on this point).

My point is, that it probably couldn't hurt to put a bit of emphasis on the e-dict capabilities of the Pandora, even if it means establishing a method for re-arranging and labeling the keyboard, and doing some things that the community alone doesn't have the ability to do.

Any extra known and documented (and specificly customized) ports of useful applications are all VALID and useful for both marketing. Its allso highly likely that this fine chap wants to see the units fly out the doors. He also probably wants to see the software he wants get done. Following that chain he probably reasoned that one way is to get people onside with his idea. And since some very noisy people on this forum always seem to be harping on about marketing.(LOL NSEW vs ABXY on the buttons) He probably thought it was a good idea to get on that bandwagon.

More to the other points you raise. You respond quickly to 80% of the threads on here. And Blabber on for half your post about unrelated stuff or narrow minded opinion. When challanged you do a few quick google/wiki lookups to sound informed. You busy body around informing other forum's and web communities about the pandora. You stike me as a person who is despratly trying to be important. Just tone your self down from 11 back to an 8 and im sure your a nice bloke.

Back on topic a jap phrase book would be handy as hell.

Gilrad said:
Of course, marketing it as ONLY an e-dictionary wouldn't be the best idea; same as it wouldn't be marketed as ONLY an mp3 player, or ONLY a umpc (though I could have been a bit more clearer on this point).

My point is, that it probably couldn't hurt to put a bit of emphasis on the e-dict capabilities of the Pandora, even if it means establishing a method for re-arranging and labeling the keyboard, and doing some things that the community alone doesn't have the ability to do.
It could hurt if the software isn't there, which - at this point - it is not. Porting the software, along with the other issues you bring up, would have to be done first. *Then* mentioning the e-dictionary aspects in the marketing might be a good idea. But advertising features that don't exist yet is a bad thing to do. Ask Microsoft how well that worked out for them with the WinFS that Longhorn...er, um, Vista... was supposed to have about 4 years ago.

I think you ask for, or port, the software first, get it working well enough to brag about - and *then* market it as an e-dictionary, gaming... etc.

Insanemal said:
More to the other points you raise. You respond quickly to 80% of the threads on here. And Blabber on for half your post about unrelated stuff or narrow minded opinion. When challanged you do a few quick google/wiki lookups to sound informed. You busy body around informing other forum's and web communities about the pandora. You stike me as a person who is despratly trying to be important. Just tone your self down from 11 back to an 8 and im sure your a nice bloke.
I was following UMPCPortal long before I became active in this forum. (I joined back in 2006 to find out more about the GP2X and the XGP. I didn't get active until about the 4th of this month here.) When I started reading (on here) about the Pandora, I first thought of UMPCPortal, and wondered if they had put it on their database of devices. At that point they had not. I emailed them asking why it wasn't there. They emailed me back saying they had already reported on it, but didn't yet have enough information about the Pandora to list it. I emailed back with the information I had (which was very little at the time, even less than I have now), along with links to the official website and the wiki. I'm not sure if I listed the forums or not - but even if I didn't, they are on openpandora.org.

<Soapbox and personal crap warning>

The Internet is about communication. Communities, social networks, blogs, etc. Me sending an email to a website about a product I'm excited about is not unusual. I'm sure Engadget, Ars Technica, etc. get "review/preview this!!!!111!" emails all the time. And, some of those emails actually come from fans.

(The rest of them, of course, coming directly from the companies selling/making the product. Since "getting the word out" is a good thing for business.)

I'm not important. I can't code. I don't make the hardware. I don't sell the hardware or software. There is nothing of Chad in the Pandora. Nor does there need to be. Nor am I trying to make it that way.

I've offered ideas and stuff for the same reason everyone else here does. It's fun to be involved. It's exciting to talk about. Even if nothing I've asked for, suggested, or mocked up ever gets included. Even in Craig never reads a word I wrote. I have had fun sharing the ideas with the people here. Interacting, arguing, coming up with better ideas... It's fun for me. Design, marketing, planning... It's what I do - for a job as well as for fun.

And, I'll still get a Pandora, even if there's nothing me about it.

I am trying to improve the way I come across on here. I was very much out of sorts last week, and I went all "Internet tough guy" on everyone as someone put it. And I regret that. I'm trying to be more accepting of others opinions, just like I wanted others to be of mine when I first showed up. I'm trying not to be dogmatic in my positions or rude in my delivery. And I'm still working on it. So, I'll try to "tone it down" more too.

</off soapbox - back on topic>

Yes, yes it would.

chad78 said:

Insanemal said:

chad78 said:
Yes, yes it would.

Gruso said:
chad78 said:

Insanemal said:

chad78 said:
Yes, yes it would.

In the first post I was talking about buying dedicated e-dictrionary device. There's no way I'd do that. That doesn't mean I don't see how the software would be handy to someone who needs it. I'm not going to pay $300 for something that a $25 pocket Bilingual dictionary could do. But if I have a device that I carry with me anyway, and the software is free, and I'm going somewhere I'd need it (a lot of ifs there, don'cha think?) I'd download it. So, it would be handy. But a $300 electronic dictionary... no. Not handy.

That, and I'm tired of arguing. I see that the software is desired. I don't think marketing it that way is a good idea - but I've made my points as best I can. If you agree or disagree - that's fine with me. The software has merit.

Its not that many if's. I have one of these devices. Its kinda old. Its a jap-eng device. It cost me an arm leg and testicle. It also kicks the ever-living shit out of a $25 any thing. Its a dictionary/thesorus and whatever else you could want in one. If your in a far away country and you cant speak the language expertly you pretty much need one of these.

Insanemal said:
It also kicks the ever-living shit out of a $25 any thing.
I was talking about an actual book. You know, with pages and stuff. $25 at most major bookstores gets you a pocket bilingual dictionary in dead tree form.

Before anybody gets all worked up over this (too late), can anybody point to an actual open-source translation / dictionary program? If none exist in a format that could be ported to Pandora, then this whole argument discussion is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back