Another Satisfied Customer

LuciferRising

Hi everyone.

I received my replacement Pandora a few days ago. My first unit had major power/boot issues when it arrived. I don't think this was OP's fault at all. My issues were definitely out of the norm and I feel that maybe it got kicked around too much in transit. So with a heavy heart I had to ship mine back without ever getting to play with her.

For the record, mine was a premium order. I understand the frustration of those still waiting for their preorders. So if you get some sort of satisfaction from the fact that one of the "line jumpers" got a completely broken unit, that's fine. I can understand. I like to think that if I had known about the Pandora back when all all this got started, I would've been a preorder. I know that's easy to say now. But truth is I only recently found about this.

Anyway, back on track.. The RMA process was fairly painless (except for the price of shipping from US to UK). Jacquelyn was very helpful and within two weeks I now have my replacement.

I have to say this little sucker is awesome! I've been having so much fun the last few days. This is everything I hoped it would be and I only see things getting better with time. As firmware and software evolve this thing is going to be unstoppable.

The screen is simply amazing. It is more beautiful than I imagined. Games and movies look incredible.

I was a little worried about slow internet speeds that some people seem to encounter. But I am fairly happy with the speed I'm getting from my wireless router using Chromium.

I expected the speakers to be a little louder. I find it to be a little low. Yes, I have it turned up all the way on the mixer. But when I plug in my Skullcandy earbuds the sound is great. I actually have to turn the volume down. Sound is very crisp and in my opinion sounds way better than my ipod.

I am new to linux and will probably never be a power user. But I look forward to delving into it a bit. It will probably be a slow process for me, but I love that the option is there.

For now I am mostly using minimenu. Having a full desktop was one of the things that attracted me to the pandora. I find it a tad difficult navigating with the nubs and stylus, but I am getting used to it. I think perhaps I will get more use out of the desktop once the tv-out cables are ready. I believe having the desktop on a bigger screen and perhaps hooking up a usb mouse with make it a more enjoyable experience for me.

My main use for the pandora will be emulators. With all my handhelds and consoles I find myself playing emulators more than the games native to the systems. I am impressed at how fast the emulators are coming along. Within minutes of firing my pandora up I was playing one of my favorite games, Castlevania - Aria of Sorrows on gpsp. I grew up with a C=64 and having the full keyboard on the pandora makes using Vice even more exciting. Not to mention how awesome it is to be getting full speed N64 games on a handheld.. crazy!!

I am only having two small issues. One of my shoulder buttons is little weird, but fully functioning. I probably won't even mess with it unless it gets worse. I know where to look if I decide to fix it. The other one is a possible charging issue which I think can be easily resolved. I am dealing with that on another thread. Though when fully charged the battery life is incredible! The first night with my pandora I couldn't believe how long it kept going, even with some overclocking.

Those issues are not at all detracting from my enjoyment. I am having a blast and haven't even scratched the surface yet!

To the OP team, thank you. You have made an incredible little device here. Also thanks to all the devs and the helpful people on the forum. You guys were the final reason I went ahead with the purchase.

Sorry about my poor writing skills. I'm way out of practice.

Thanks for reading,

Lou

Glad you are happy Lou.

The Pandora seems to grow on you and with you.

Incredible machine.

Thanks for the positive review. :)

awesome little toy isnt it! gratz im having shoulder issues at the moment as well, so far its only the left 1 so until i need to use it more, it can wait

Great write-up. I added it to the reviews thread last night. :)

I grew up with a C64 also, and I agree - having a keyboard around for C64 emulation really is something else. (I had a first batch GP2X way back, and used that for C64 emulation during the time that I had it. It worked well, but without a keyboard it just didn't feel right to me. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Lou,

Nice writeup on the replacement!

To anyone anxiously waiting, this is more proof that units keep getting better and better, which I have found as well.

OPT: Keep on making it better!

Back