Another Strange Tv-out Problem...

cappuchok

Website
Visit site
I finally got my cradle working as it should, tested my gamepads and everything, but I can't get a proper TV-out signal. However, it's no fault of the cradle or GP2X, since hooking these up to my TV card's S-video-in gives me a perfectly colored picture. The problem appears when connecting to my TV which must be done through an S-video to composite adapter (since I'm in PAL land). Then the video is suddenly grayscale only. I've tested two different S-video to composite adapters I found from old VGA cards, and none gave any color. A straight S-video cable to the computer shows me that output is colored and stable, it just isn't getting through to the TV. I'm suspecting the S-video to composite adapters are flawed?

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to diagnose and fix this problem (I've already determined it's not a problem with the GP2X or cradle)?

TV doesn't support proper Svideo(Or you haven't set the AV selector to Svideo mode(ie it's in composite over Svideo))... There is a hack by joining two connections together you can get Composite over Svideo... It's somewhere on the wiki.

Make (or hack) your own adapter:

S-Video pinout:
svideo.png

Adapter:
circuito.gif

Regards

cappuchok said:
I've tested two different S-video to composite adapters I found from old VGA cards, and none gave any color. A straight S-video cable to the computer shows me that output is colored and stable, it just isn't getting through to the TV. I'm suspecting the S-video to composite adapters are flawed?

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to diagnose and fix this problem (I've already determined it's not a problem with the GP2X or cradle)?
The problem is that you are using a VGA card adaptor from "S-Video" to Composite, the VGA card will autodetect a Composite connection and provide the proper signal on one line of the (2)S-Video pins.

What you need is the diagram Puck2099 has drawn, it connects pins 3 and 4 together, if you can do that using the old VGA card adaptors you have it should work. (I just twisted both s-video wires together without that capacitor, and it worked fine, that is all many people do.)

If you want to open up your cradle and put a switch across those two contacts on the circuit board you can (GPH should have done that to begin with, and put in a Video connector, see my sig for my personal opinions on the matter.)

PokeParadox said:
TV doesn't support proper Svideo(Or you haven't set the AV selector to Svideo mode(ie it's in composite over Svideo))... There is a hack by joining two connections together you can get Composite over Svideo... It's somewhere on the wiki.
No, he clearly described his problem, it is not the SCART bug this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back