Any Other Program To Put Songs On An Ipod

sensible GP32

ITUNES IS THE BIGGEST PILE OF SHITE ARGGGH!
ahem sorry.

so spent all my night ripping cd's for mother and im just too tired to deal with itunes i hate it so!

any other way of getting mp3's to a ipod??

Winamp has an ipod plugin that works... Amarok is still linux only I think but it has great ipod support... umm, other than that I really don't know.

I'm never buying another apple product ever again because itunes sucks so much and i have to use it.

When I was thinking of getting an iPod a couple of years ago I came across Anapod Explorer. I've not tried it though, so I can't tell you how good it is.

To add my own little go :) thanks for the suggestions btw

Yamipod is everything i could hope for and more!!!! im a happy bunny now.....

Another option that I would endorse is using Rockbox, though I hear that doesn't work on the latest version of ipods, it should make it much easier to transfer music and such.

160MB+ memory usage, slow GUI response, no extension support, questionable-reliability CD burning, bad CPU scheduling, DRM'd music store...

I'm sure I could come up with more :)

I use foobar2000 + foo_dop personally! It works well enough for my needs. I can encode my mp4 videos to the correct format externally and ask it to transfer those too.
Only thing it lacks (for me to be completely happy) is album art setting :)

hmmm well i use a mac and I have to say ive never noticed it affecting system performance and I have it running nearly all the time. Is the pc version really that bad?

I think almost every 'indie' media player can sync with an Ipod! I have used minamp, media monkey (highly recommended!) and Anapod explorer a lot.

I have sort of fallen out of love with Anapod. I paid for the full version and loved it, but it is buggy. I sync across three ipods quite regularly and it just isn't efficient enough for me. In fact I mostly use Itunes these days. All the music in my itunes folder will sync with all my mp3 players, you can play with the settings a lot more than most people realise. And if you download stuff from oink etc and only go for mp3s you have no problems!

None of them are perfect, but for ease and quickness of use, after playing with the beast tget it how you want I find itunes to be the best!

Sorry, flame me if you want!

I thought iPods were detected as external harddrives? At least, that's what I've heard about Linux...

In that case, "cp" (for Linux) or Explorer (for Windows) would work just fine.

Am I incorrect here? (I don't own an iPod)

I've had the misfortune of using iTunes - it is really shockingly bad. Not only did I seem to have to disable the Ministore on every startup (not entirely sure why) but it locked up whilst transferring music, whilst starting and whilst attempting to disable the Ministore. It also ran incredibly slowly and switching to it took much too long.

BCable: In the official iPod firmware, all songs have to be in a specific place on the iPod. Under Linux you can access it, under Windows you have to use iTunes and tell it to use disk mode.

BCable: To add to what nickspoon said, on your iPod is a file called the iTunesDB. It's basically a simple database containing where the files are on the HD, information about them, etc. If the songs you put on your iPod aren't listed in this file, your iPod will treat them like they don't exist because as far as it's concerned, they don't. Under Linux, you certainly can open up your iPod like a USB hard drive and copy stuff onto it, but unless you use a program with support for writing to the iTunesDB when you do so, you won't be able to listen to those tracks.

Of course, there's nothing stopping Apple from allowing you to copy those songs and then putting in an option to scan for new tracks and add them to the DB. They're just cocksuckers.

I use rockbox, it works nicely, afaik, it does not work with the 80 GB iPod Video but works with the other one (5G and 5.5G ones)

but iPodLinux works with the 80 GB ones so progress is being made and eventually it will work, most likely

with rockbox you just copy over the files like you do on any removable drive

The m4a audio support improved on it much? I'd use it if I could play AAC/M4A music (The whole reason I got an iPod in the first place was since it WAS the only player that played AAC audio, at the time.)

PokeParadox posted on Mar 20 2007 at 04:25 PM said:
The m4a audio support improved on it much? I'd use it if I could play AAC/M4A music (The whole reason I got an iPod in the first place was since it WAS the only player that played AAC audio, at the time.)
I use OGG, or MP3, but only use MP3 if that's what it comes in ;)

so I wouldn't know, you can check the wiki, it probably has it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back