Any programs or fixes for stuck/dead pixels?

Jumpman

Advanced Member
I looked around, and couldn't find anything, so my appologies if this has been discussed else where.

I've got what appears to be a stuck pixel, as it is white. Are there any programs that I can run thru my Pandora(or a site I can visit), that can help remove it? Or a way to see if it is stuck or just dead? I hate to spend time trying to remove it, if it is dead to start. I have tried the massge method, but it doesn't appear to help, and I don't want to damge the screen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

I looked around, and couldn't find anything, so my appologies if this has been discussed else where.

I've got what appears to be a stuck pixel, as it is white. Are there any programs that I can run thru my Pandora(or a site I can visit), that can help remove it? Or a way to see if it is stuck or just dead? I hate to spend time trying to remove it, if it is dead to start. I have tried the massge method, but it doesn't appear to help, and I don't want to damge the screen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

If it's completely black... then it's dead.

Difficult to see on Pandora high density screen, but if one of the sub-pixels(RGB) are black it MAY be dead.

You can run a program that flashes different colours rapidly to try and unstick a stuck pixel... I actually wrote code to do this since my previous Pandora had a stuck pixel... but it has tearing... and also it didn't work even after leaving it running for ages...

You may have more luck!

Thanks Sony!

I'm running it right now. I'm out the house for the next 3-5 hours, so hopefully it will work by the time I return. If not, I run it for 24 hours and see what I get. I'm getting my 3DS tommorow, so I won't be needing my Pandora for at least a day. I'll let you know what happens.

Chris

18g.gif

And my Nintendo 3DS Friend Code is 3222 - 5529 - 7564. Please add me B)

@PokeParadox

Yeah, all I can do is try. My pixel appears to be white, so after much reading I figure it's stuck, and not dead. If anyone else has any helpful hints, I'll take em. This one white dot in the middle of my screen is super anoying.

Chris

Well, it's still there, but for some reason the flashing lights video keeps cutting off on me. I have the gnome player on loop, so it keeps playing over and over, but the Pandora seems to go to sleep at some point.

I've gone into the settings, and I can't seem to find anything that would cause the unit to cut off the screen and go black. I sat and watched it run for well over an hour earlier today, and it ran with no stops. Then I left, and after 2+ hours I returned and the screen was off again.

Am I missing something in one of the setting options for sleep or hibernation? I'm not sure if this will fix my stuck pixel or not, but I at least want to let it run for as long as it was recommended before I say for sure it didn't work. So now I guess I need to find out why the video keeps stopping?

EDIT:And it has been plugged in, and the battery is at 100%.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks P.

I just read that thread, and the next 2 or 3 that led from it, and from what I can tell there's a fix, but it doesn't work for everyone right? And you might need to reflash your unit if it F Ups? So it's a known problem, but it has not been fixed? This seems like a ton of work to try and fix a stuck pixel, that I may not be able to fix anyway.

Well, unless someone has an easier fix that won't "X" out my Pandora, I guess I'll just live with the stuck pixel, and look forward to some 3DS play after tommorow. Thanks for all the input gals/guys.

Chris

^ No, you wouldn't need to reflash if it went wrong. I mentioned that in the very thread I linked to, and even provided directions with which to reverse it if it goes sour. ;)

I did eventually get it to work, incidentally - you just have to make sure that the tabbing and spacing on the new entry is perfectly aligned with the other ones in the file (this is why it's best to use nano at a terminal to do the editing - it makes it easy to tell). What I did was copy an existing one and then edited it to match what I was supposed to be adding, and then I added extra spaces where necessary so that it lined up with the other entries in that file. No problems at all once I did it that way.

It's also worth doing if you use the Pandora for watching videos, and if you use UAE4All a lot, as the screen-blanking thing causes issues with both of those.

^ No, you wouldn't need to reflash if it went wrong. I mentioned that in the very thread I linked to, and even provided directions with which to reverse it if it goes sour. ;)

I did eventually get it to work, incidentally - you just have to make sure that the tabbing and spacing on the new entry is perfectly aligned with the other ones in the file (this is why it's best to use nano at a terminal to do the editing - it makes it easy to tell). What I did was copy an existing one and then edited it to match what I was supposed to be adding, and then I added extra spaces where necessary so that it lined up with the other entries in that file. No problems at all once I did it that way.

It's also worth doing if you use the Pandora for watching videos, and if you use UAE4All a lot, as the screen-blanking thing causes issues with both of those.
I never watch video's for more than a few minutes, but UAE4All is one of the programs I hope to get more time with in the future, so I will read a little more closely on my next pass thru, and maybe try it once I get the time. I've got a ton of ebay ending currently(over 100 listings), and 3DS tommorow, so hopefully within a few days I'll get back to this, and see what I can do. Stand By! ;)

Thanks Again!

Chris

Wow, blimey. :blink: Good luck dealing with all of the eBay stuff, and enjoy the 3DS! I'm having a great time with mine.

I'm annoyed, I have two of these stuck pixels. Do they ever go away on their own? I didn't see them until a few hours after it arrived. It is an RMAed unit.

this is going to seem looney [yes even from me] but i have read about gently massaging the screen where the dead pixels are can help.

actually i hear it works sometimes.

no bull.

Craig originally said that the warranty would cover dead pixels.
I think he later specified that just 1 or a couple dead pixels would not be covered, and that you needed a few (similar to the DS dead pixel policy).. Sorry, don't have a reference,

this is going to seem looney [yes even from me] but i have read about gently massaging the screen where the dead pixels are can help.

actually i hear it works sometimes.

no bull.
The problem these days is touchscreens, they have an extra layer above the LCD panel, which holds the touch sensitive part. This means you can't actually massage the LCD, but the touch layer, which does nothing to help you...

Back