Any Uk Employement Law Buffs?

meandu229

Zubeman
Website
www.zubeonline.com
A few weeks ago i had an investigation and then disciplinary hearing for writing a poem calling my area manager a cock. Anyhow I have been a model employee there for 2.5 years no illness/lateness disciplinary actions of any kind. Anyhoo they fired me for it I am appealing against it on a few different angles I was wondering if these will hold up,

• I was not given 48 hours notice of the disciplinary hearing (was only 46 :D )
    The bottom of my hearing invitation read please confirm your attendance by calling this number "Telephone number" (asin actually using the words without a phone number on it.
    The poem was not included in the evidence at the hearing.
    No witness statements were taken
    The hearing was held 30 minutes late.

I'd have sacked you as well, unless it was the sort of relationship with them where it's in jest and they know it, but judging from their reaction, it wasn't.

Javacat said:
I'd have sacked you as well, unless it was the sort of relationship with them where it's in jest and they know it, but judging from their reaction, it wasn't.
Well I had great relationship with manager who thought it was funny and was supposed to stop there its just because a new manager came in and found it a month later.

Last edited by a moderator:
meandu229 said:
Javacat said:
Well I had great relationship with manager who thought it was funny and was supposed to stop there its just because a new manager came in and found it a month later.
Oh, ok! If it wasn't really about him, and they messed up with that other stuff, then guess you probably have a case. You could try phoning someone like Citizens Advice to see if they have to say about it all.

Just had a quick look and have seen this bit of info on their site.

craigix said:
Is he a cock?

Can we see the poem?
Would be a good read!
cool.gif

you have sufficient grounds for unfair dismissal

your firm should have had a clear and concise grievance procedure

At worse if first offence you should have had a verbal warning, for a second offence a written warning would suffice

For anything beyond a third offence its usually a bye bye note

It depends on what the grievance procedure details

As to what you are entitled theoretically its some form of redundancy package - you need to have written proof or via email of what went on

you should get notice including payments for un-paid leave

You could try no-win no fee solicitors - albeit they will take a fee or take to an employment tribunal

Just depends on if you have dollars to pay no or later

As long as you only called him a cock you will be okay - hey a cock can mean anything in english law, as long as you can prove it was only a harmless comment you will be okay via a solicitor

ended up not bothering with the appeal only a silly wetherspoons job and i have just finished my masters so need to get proper job and learn some C programming.
Anyhoo for your enjoyment

There once was a wetherspoon
who's area manager was a goon
we got a bad stock
cause jezzas a cock
and we will all need a new job soon.

Jezza being area manager..
We live and learn..now any IT based jobs going anywere got me a Communcation systems and computing masters from lancaster uni and no experience so whats the point in it.

Back