Anyone else have problems with the underscore ("_") on Bullseye?

logen

I can get the underscore working by doing a 'xmodmap -e "keycode 221 = underscore"' But I'm pretty sure that's what the keymap does anyway. (Disclaimer: Not an expert in reading keymap files)

Easy fix to throw in with my startup scripts, but it sure seems weird.

Works fine on the old Buster, but Bullseye? Nope.

I had the same issue, dont know if I still have it? I think the last thing I did was update the pyra-meta package by hand that might have solved it. But all this was about a year ago so dont really remember.
I do know that doing an update/upgrade/install whatever of the pyra-meta package is a good idea, it does not happen automatically during an upgrade.

Thanks for the tip, but no success :(
Only pyra-meta-desktop-base was installed and already the recent version. I also installed pyra-meta-base and pyra-meta-mate but no success either. The issue doesn't seem to be related with the pyra-meta packages...
Switching to the bullseye branch in sources.list led all pyra-packages in this branch to upgrade on my system. I don't think the issue can be solved by installing new packages, rather some existing config file has to be changed.

Last edited:
I've just noticed this when starting X:
Code:
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Multiple symbols for level 1/group 1 on key <I129>
>                   Using section, ignoring KP_Decimal
> Warning:          Symbol map for key <I129> redefined
>                   Using last definition for conflicting fields
> Warning:          Multiple symbols for level 1/group 1 on key <MDSW>
>                   Using acute, ignoring Mode_switch
> Warning:          Symbol map for key <MDSW> redefined
>                   Using last definition for conflicting fields

In bookworm, there's another character not working anymore: the colon (":").
I'm excited to see which character will stop working in Debian 13 :D

I found a new solution to this issue, although @kwi's suggestion with CTRL-SHIFT-u + hex-code is also a nice workaround.
While testing Dosbox, it wasn't possible to write the colon or the underscore, even in Buster! A quick google showed the solution:
Just use the minus or semicolon keys, while holding the Shift key.
So Fn + Shift (L1) + ";" or "-" does the trick! This makes using Bullseye or Bookworm way more convenient!

Edit: Bytemare shared how to fix the issue with a script

Last edited:
Back