Anyone else having HF5 issues?

kc187

Still Fresh
Hey guys.

Since I've installed HF5 I've run into quite a few annoying bugs.

First one is that no matter what I try, if I go to shut it down I get the LEDs off, the splash screen gone, and a Pandora with a solid cursor and a glowing screen. I have to drop the battery everytime. Only on rare occasions (twice I can remember) have I gotten it to turn off completely. I know it can turn itself off (did it everytime in HF4), and I don't want to seperate the battery from the machine or put paper on the leads anytime I want to take the Pandora somewhere.

Pidgin is unusable. But I've already brought this up in another thread.

The "pandora menu" in XCFE is impish and sometimes it will open, sometimes it won't. I end up tapping the screen for a few minutes, start swearing, and then jam the Pandora button five or six times to get the menu to open up.

Related to the pandora menu is that my Pandora will open multiple "start menus." So I end up opening 3-4 terminals to get them out of the way.

The standby battery consumption seems to have tripled since HF4. I'm lucky to get 10 hours of standby out of it before I have to charge it, and this is on a full charge.

This one started today, actually... now when I use DeadBeeF and try to do anything else, the music stutters. Doesn't matter what clock speed I have it at. I used to be able to run Deadbeef, use Chromium and pidgin all at once. Now even if DeadBeeF is running solo, it will stutter.

I'm frustrated with it. I'm not griping at the devs, you guys are [edit= working hard and I will try out the new hotfixes as they come. Just for now, I'm going to go back to HF4.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot shut down the pandora if wifi is toggled on. I have to toggle it off or the only way to shut it down is like you said to drop the battery.

Thunar or what ever its called still crashes on me regularly, usually when double clicking a folder.

The "pandora menu" in XCFE is impish and sometimes it will open, sometimes it won't. I end up tapping the screen for a few minutes, start swearing, and then jam the Pandora button five or six times to get the menu to open up.

Related to the pandora menu is that my Pandora will open multiple "start menus." So I end up opening 3-4 terminals to get them out of the way.

The standby battery consumption seems to have tripled since HF4. I'm lucky to get 10 hours of standby out of it before I have to charge it, and this is on a full charge.

i suffer from these too, please let me know if going to hf4 fixes them, ive only had hf 5 so I dont know which is better

hi

are you running off nand or sdcard?

if sdcard have you tried with another one? i know i had various odd problems with HF5 turns out my sdcard was acting up.

also make sure your battery is properly seated -

The Startmenu is lagging a bit because icons are enabled.

This slows down a bit, didn't much for me (maybe because I use a fast SD Card?), but you can disable that (right click on the Pandora button) and therefore get the HF4 behaviour back.

The multiple Menu issue was also there in HF4 and is being worked on for HF6, though you probably didn't trigger it multiple times because the startmenu didn't lag :)

Standby battery consumption shouldn't be much higher, and it easily survives 20 hours for me... something seems to eat your battery here, though I have no idea what.

Are you talking about STANDBY (flick power switch) or simply the DISPLAY OFF mode (closing the lid)?

About the non-shutting down:

My unit always switches off properly, however, I never have WiFi on.

Could you check if it has something to do with WiFi maybe?

No need to remove your battery thought - do a reset (Pandora + Power Switch), hold the R should button to show the bootmenu and select power off.

No need to remove your battery thought - do a reset (Pandora + Power Switch), hold the R should button to show the bootmenu and select power off.
ED, thanks very much for this - it's a brilliant tip. :)

I sometimes randomly get the issue where the machine fails to shut down and simply hangs at a blinking cursor, and I've been doing Pandora-button resets every time and then shutting down again once it boots back into Xfce. :lol:

This slows down a bit, didn't much for me (maybe because I use a fast SD Card?), but you can disable that (right click on the Pandora button) and therefore get the HF4 behaviour back.
No, icons are already disabled. As I already said on the GP32X forum, that is not the issue.

It NEVER happens after the Pandora has just started up, or if I open the start menu without having closed a program before that. It ONLY happens after I have recently closed a program, and then click on the start menu.

No, icons are already disabled. As I already said on the GP32X forum, that is not the issue.

It NEVER happens after the Pandora has just started up, or if I open the start menu without having closed a program before that. It ONLY happens after I have recently closed a program, and then click on the start menu.

Hm, but nothing has changed here, it's still the same old XFCE4 package :eek:

I haven't used HF5 yet, but I can say that I turned on icons on my Pandora with HF4 and haven't seen any slowdown.

Hm, but nothing has changed here, it's still the same old XFCE4 package :eek:
I don't know either.

But as I mentioned in the bug report, it's not just me; other people such as Gruso and Cheese have also reported it.

I've got icons enabled but it works fine about 99% of the time. I prefer the icons over the start menu not popping up every once in a while.

On another note, has someone found a fix for the problem where PNDs that contain spaces in the name or path can't be started from the menu or desktop?

I sometimes randomly get the issue where the machine fails to shut down and simply hangs at a blinking cursor, and I've been doing Pandora-button resets every time and then shutting down again once it boots back into Xfce. :lol:

I confirm this also. It def appears to be associated with bringing the WIFI. The last message I see when bringing the system down from my SD install is "Pandora WiFi: Remove finished" then it sits idle until I Pan+Power. It does shutdown clean when I right-click nm-applet and uncheck Enable Wireless before shutting down or rebooting.

^ Now that's weird. I keep WiFi disabled all the time on mine. Are you sure it's associated with that?

(I'm running off of the NAND, by the by, and don't know how I would check what it's doing in a hassle-free fashion.)

I confirm this also. It def appears to be associated with bringing the WIFI. The last message I see when bringing the system down from my SD install is "Pandora WiFi: Remove finished" then it sits idle until I Pan+Power. It does shutdown clean when I right-click nm-applet and uncheck Enable Wireless before shutting down or rebooting.

Yes, notaz told me what happens here. The service ifup has been removed with HF2 (long time ago :) ), and sometimes network isn't cleaned up properly because of that.

I need to re-enable the service.

Now that I think about it, I've had issues putting my Pandora into low power with wifi on ever since trying some of the more recent beta wifi drivers. The only way to fix it was to pandora-power reset. I almost never shut it down, so haven't noticed any problems shutting it off with the wifi still on. I'm still on HF4, but if it's the driver it shouldn't matter. Might be a good place to experiment, try toggling the wifi off before shutting down and whatnot.

I've got icons enabled but it works fine about 99% of the time. I prefer the icons over the start menu not popping up every once in a while.

On another note, has someone found a fix for the problem where PNDs that contain spaces in the name or path can't be started from the menu or desktop?
try this?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59113-pnd-run-sh/

- rewrite the argument parsing. Fixing the many differents space issues.

Thanks! I didn't see that. :unsure:

Yes, notaz told me what happens here. The service ifup has been removed with HF2 (long time ago :) ), and sometimes network isn't cleaned up properly because of that.

Well that sometimes causes black screen when xfce is about to start, not sure shutdown issue is the same (never had it personally).

Is there anything I/we can do in the meantime to re-enable the service and check the results and report back?

Since I'm here and we're talking WiFi, I want to try Notaz's last WiFi beta but would like to know where the ipk is for the original driver so I can revert back if I have any problems. /me wonders if the behavior changes between the two drivers, anyone?

Firefox Beta10 has a copy running in the background and can't open it.

MAME.106 won't open anymore

MAME4All Berzerk loads to a dipswitch screen instead of the game. Reset allows me to play, but something makes me think M4A is corrupted.

Back