Anyone Got A Ps3?

That's good stuff indeed. 50% of the price at purchase is pretty good. I reckon it's likely various video game stores will do some kind of used game refund program.

Hell yes! 300 dollars is no small chunk of change! Thank god a big company FINALLY got what they deserved for screwing over their customers.

EDIT: Some people are saying it's fake, idk what to believe. Guess we'll find out soon.

I wonder how far this will go, as most manufacturers add provisos and cautions into their guarantees/warrantees/manuals etc. stating that features and specs. may change without notice etc. etc.

Was it ever really marketed as a -
"personal home computer."
?

I've not checked my PS3 manual and I don't particularly care about using Linux (or "OTHER OS") on it, or that I've lost it. I'm sure SONY will wriggle out of it somehow.

iprice said:
I wonder how far this will go, as most manufacturers add provisos and cautions into their guarantees/warrantees/manuals etc. stating that features and specs. may change without notice etc. etc.

Was it ever really marketed as a -
"personal home computer."
?

I've not checked my PS3 manual and I don't particularly care about using Linux (or "OTHER OS") on it, or that I've lost it. I'm sure SONY will wriggle out of it somehow.

Well, two things:
-Those provisions and stuff aren't really much use in court if they do something douchey enough (ie, I add a provision saying I can have your first born, I still can't kidnap him/her legally). Eula's and the like are still a really gray area, legally.
-It's not about whether you care about running linux on your ps3 (full disclosure: I do, and I still haven't updated mine, hoping for a hack from geohot), it's the principle that really matters: Do you really want a company to be able to take away functionality from a device you already own? I believe that that's playing dirty, and once there's a precedent, other companies' watching eyes may lead them to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Actually provisions and black and white text ARE extremely useful in court. Many, many companies get out of paying huge fines due to small print, as do insurance companies etc.

2. Courts don't care about principles. All they will care about is what is stated in black and white - both as part of the statute of limitations and the manuals and warranties of products. On the outside of the box it might say "OTHER OS" available, but the manual may clearly state that the available features may change - not just to combat pirates, but sometimes to enhance the abilities of the host machine; to allow it to do things that weren't possible. SONY will no doubt have a strong argument and a whole host of lawyers to support their argument as to why they removed Linux and the ability to add another/different OS.

However, I didn't say it wasn't a douchebag thing to do on SONY's part. And TBH I hope SONY loses (purely because I dislike the company's arrogant attitude to the users), but I suspect they won't. We'll see.

That website said:
The firm is seeking to prosecute the case as a class action on behalf of everyone in the United States who bought a PS3 between November 17, 2006 and March 27, 2010
Wait, what? Does that mean it applies to my Slim also?

iprice said:
1. Actually provisions and black and white text ARE extremely useful in court. Many, many companies get out of paying huge fines due to small print, as do insurance companies etc.
I agree that they can be extremely useful; I'm just saying that what's in the fine print can't be something that goes against a law or something like that because then it's useless. But if there's nothing technically wrong with what they did and they used the right special sauce in the manuals/what-have-you, then they probably will win.

iprice said:
2. Courts don't care about principles. All they will care about is what is stated in black and white - both as part of the statute of limitations and the manuals and warranties of products. On the outside of the box it might say "OTHER OS" available, but the manual may clearly state that the available features may change - not just to combat pirates, but sometimes to enhance the abilities of the host machine; to allow it to do things that weren't possible. SONY will no doubt have a strong argument and a whole host of lawyers to support their argument as to why they removed Linux and the ability to add another/different OS.
I know courts don't care, I was just responding to where you and many other people have said they don't really care about otherOS support. Though the people that annoy me are the people who say that because they don't care about otherOS, it doesn't matter what sony did, but that's not what you're saying, so I can respect you just not caring about the otherOS support. :)

Reo said:
That website said:
The firm is seeking to prosecute the case as a class action on behalf of everyone in the United States who bought a PS3 between November 17, 2006 and March 27, 2010

They aren't very specific, but I imagine so, since it's technically a PS3.

I hope so anyway, cos mine is also a slim :p

Nova said:
Reo said:
That website said:

Shouldn't do. Your console never had the ability to use linux, so nothing was taken from you.

Goity said:
Nova said:
Reo said:
That website said:

Shouldn't do. Your console never had the ability to use linux, so nothing was taken from you.

Yes, but that isn't specified on the site. My receipt also says 'PS3 CONSOLE', so they'll have a hard time proving otherwise.

I'm sure there will be a few forms to fill in to check that you qualify for the partial refund. There must be some safeguards.
Anyway, when the shop checks you reciept against their records they'll be able to tell it was a slim, surely?

Nova said:
Goity said:
Nova said:
Reo said:
That website said:

Yes, but that isn't specified on the site. My receipt also says 'PS3 CONSOLE', so they'll have a hard time proving otherwise.

Your console has a unique id, denoting, amongst other things, the model.

Well like I said, the site isn't specific, so we will have to see what happens.

Wow! Maybe I should have invested in one... I'd be out $300 but still, hey....

Back