Anyone Here Use An Fc Twin?

tekt5

NazcaBeer Spokesman
Website
Visit site
So, my girlfriends birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about buying her a Super Nintendo for her as she loves Donkey Kong Country. I went to my local used games shop though and they are also selling new FC Twin System's for about $30 cheaper than a used SNES. I was thinking about maybe getting her one of these instead as they are newer and would (hopefully) be less likely to break in the near future. I was just wondering if any of you guys here knew anything or had any experience with the FC Twin or other combination/emulation systems by the same company.

FC Twin (Wikipedia)

I've heard about various compatibility issues or quirkyness in sound/colors but I've also seen just as many comments that disregard these. So let me know what you guys think or know, any input would be appreciated.

I was looking into one of these a while back and from what I remember the chip the yobo's use isn't the best. Nothing is going to be perfect in third party though so you might just get the cheapest.

This one caught my eye because at least it can use original NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers.

EDIT: Ah, Donkey Kong Country, if I remember correctly this game has compatibility issues with third party devices. Or maybe I'm thinking of the game genie, but you should look into whatever you buy and make sure it plays the game she most likes.

I don't have a fc twin.

But I have a Yobo FC 16 GO (Portable Snes), and a FC Mobile II (Portable Nes).

I have checked the fc twin wikipedia page, and I agree with the incompatibility list for the Nes (most game using complex mappers like MMC5 will not work).

But the FC 16 GO compatibility looks better than the FC Twin (on the wiki they say SA-1 games does not work, I tried Kirby 3, it work fine on my FC16GO),

The only issues I have are the Japanese Street Fighter Zero 2 (Huge graphical issue, it's a S-DD1 game).

And of course most of the newer Pal games wont run as they check if the system is running at 50 or 60hz.

I don't have any Donkey Kong Country Games, so I can't test... but from what I've heard, those game, will only check if the system is 50/60Hz and do an "anti-piracy" check on startup.

I think its better to get the real deal. I found an NES at a thrift store for $14, plus two controllers and all of the cables. I also found a mini-SNES for 40 with all of the cables and a controller. thats $54 (canadian dollars). They were both in excellent condition, but I only bought the SNES. They are both, obviously compatible with all games in my region, though you can play Japanese SFC games on the sns-101 by breaking of the plastic tabs inside the cartridge slot.

I agree, go for the real thing. Most of those system-on-a-chips have dodgy compatibility, or they suffer from irritating problems like the sound being a little "off".

I can't speak for the FC Twin, but the Yobos are built like shit - I'd bet original Ninty hardware, even if it is getting on a bit now, will be a safer bet longevity wise.

Back