Anyone know about the different types of LiPo Batteries?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
So whilst I was looking at doing some electronics, I bought some LiPo batteries and some charging boards (links below)

The media links weren't working for me, so here's them manually
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A6O72YQ/
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DRT4PWY/

But whilst browsing Kickstarter, I found this:
and in it they say that the batteries I bought should avoided.

Does anyone know what the difference it actually makes? I don't use quadcopters, so the batteries have no use for me if there's a real danger in using this to power a RaspPi for example.

I'd appreciate any information, thanks

"These batteries are typically unprotected (or not adequately protected) and can be dangerous. "

Amazon listing says there's protection, dunno how reliable that information or that protection is.

Seeing how samsung and apple batteries went up in flames I don't know how important that warning is. Maybe the kickstarter guy just wants to make sure you don't buy some cheap china stuff to prevent battery failure firing back at the project.

From what I can quickly gather, quadcopter batteries are just raw lipo: they don't have any circuits inside them, all safety in charging and use must come from the device. This is fine for quadcopters because you have a special charger to do the work.
The batteries that kickstarter is recommending have built in protection against overcharging, since it doesn't look like the charger they're using has that it would make the quadcopter batteries dangerous. Remember the early days of the Pandora before it was doing charging properly and several batteries were lost to "puffiness"? That's the danger. Puffiness eventually leads to explosion.

The batteries that kickstarter is recommending have built in protection against overcharging, since it doesn't look like the charger they're using has that it would make the quadcopter batteries dangerous. Remember the early days of the Pandora before it was doing charging properly and several batteries were lost to "puffiness"? That's the danger. Puffiness eventually leads to explosion.
Thanks for that. I really couldn't find any information, but I'm half wondering if it's because I was too busy searching based on the battery connector rather than just saying "quadcopter batteries".

Those charging boards I bought say "and other lithium battery charge and discharge protection" so in theory, they should be as equally safe/dangerous as the JST connector ones then I guess. Though I suppose when there's sentances like this: "The effect of excessive charging speed backward, rushed over battery voltage out on much!", maybe I don't really know what the board does... I guess if I'm sensible about charging and usage, I should be fine then.

Talking about Pandora puffy batteries, mine's not in a great condition, but I'm not sure what to do. I don't use it all that much these days, and once the Pyra arrives, it'll probably never see the light of day, so it seems a bit silly forking out for a battery of a device that's already on it's last legs.

An important thing to keep in mind is that if the battery has no built-in protection against overdischarging, you need to make sure you don't leave it connected to any load that might accidently deep-discharge it. If this accidently happens anyway, you should discard the battery and not attempt to recharge it. (Ideally a charger would refuse to charge a battery that has too low voltage, but I'm afraid that's often not true in practice.)

They should of course also not be overcharged, but any li-ion charger that's not complete and utter garbage should take care of that.

Back