Anyone Know Of Any Open Source Fps Games That Aren't Quake Clones

Azuma

* The title was supposed to read: "Anyone Know Of Any Open Source Fps Games That Aren't Quake Clones that can be ported to the pandora?" Sorry about that.

And by "aren't quake clones" I of course mean that the game lets you use fine aim/ironsights. That will trick me enough to make me believe I'm not playing a quake clone :D . No but seriously are there any decent ones? I've done some searching but all I've come up with are Sauerbraten, War§ow, cube, assault cube, and a few others (those do have the capability to be ported right?). I haven't personally played these games but they all look like CS/Quake clones to me. I also sort of dislike the arena style tendencies of those types of games, I've never enjoyed that.

I know I'm going to sound like "that guy" here and I really hate to but I would like an experience more similar to COD or most other modern fps's. All I mean by that is the inclusion of: fine aiming, dieing quickly (maybe regenerating health), and a large assortment of modern weapons. OH, and a sprint button of course. That doesn't seem like too much to ask for... does this game I speak of even exist? Even if it doesn't maybe you guys could still suggest some really good open source FPS games that can be ported to the pandora?

Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about btw. I've done all I could to understand what can and can't be ported. Coming from someone who doesn't have much prior knowledge on the subject it's sort of confusing but From what I've gathered if the game is open source and has a Linux version of the game it should be able to be ported right? Something similar to that I hope anyways.

Thanx for any help in advance.

If you want to know if something will be portable to the Pandora, refer to the compatibility flow chart. It might be a little out-of-date at this point, but should be a good start.

For many games, particularly anything in 3D, there's often a dependence on OpenGL that the Pandora can't handle. We've got OpenGL ES, but it can be a pain to translate to it. Oh and, theoretically, after a whole ton of reverse-engineering, the Pandora might be able to use full OpenGL, but don't hold your breath. As such, even many open source FPSs may not be portable.

Having said all that, I'm still hopeful for Pseudoform. It started as a Portal clone, but has expanded to take on other mind- and physics-bending abilities. Yeah, not a COD-style shooter, but I think it's cool. It depends on OGRE, a rendering engine which currently uses OpenGL but I think is being rewritten to use ES. It also depends on Newton Game Dynamics, which is not open source, but is available for both Linux and iPhone, and the Pandora is sorta like the intersection of those two. So I have my hopes.

I'd love to see Tremulous, built on the Quake engine, but with quite a twist if you're looking for something different.
Screens:
Tremulous_-_Marauder_and_B-suit_doing_battle.jpg

Tremulous_-_human_base_goons.jpg

Action Quake 2 might work if you're looking for a multiplayer game. I assume that it can be made to work on Pandora, but I'm not really sure.

(Incidentally, I don't blame you. I really don't like the Quake games, either. The serious look&feel combined with the goofy gameplay just doesn't do it for me.)

A few minutes digging through Happy Penguin, here are some possibilities.
I'm not sure which of these the Pandora has enough horsepower for.
I'm also not sure which of these is any good!

Crystal Core Single player. Let's shoot some aliens!
Smokin' Guns Multiplayer. Western. (Can Pandora handle the Q3 engine?)
The Hunted Single player. Some sort of survival horror?
Tremulous and Tremfusion Multiplayer. Science fiction. Let's kill some bugs!
Warsow Multiplayer. This game looks like it plays similar to the Q games, so it probably doesn't meet your criteria. But look at that screenshot! Any game that features a cel-shaded pig in power-armor has got to be awesome.

Cube is great, Cube2 looks awesome!

I know you don't want an Arena (Q3) style game (I'm sick of DM games too).
OpenArena has many links, and I do remember seeing some that are more like a "free roaming" FPS, not standard run and gun in an 8x8 square!

Some are large downloads (PC), but as the names states OpenArena is the Core and the rest are mods, and generally open coded too.
iPhone app: Eliminate Pro is a great online FPS, but no one has said anything about the game's software... It is built on OPEN ARENA!
You can even import your own maps if you crack open the .IPA file (rename to .ZIP and play around), so it can be ported to ARM and therefore Pandora VERY EASILY!

I'm not sure if my above rant helpped in any way.
I hope it did!

So you're looking for a more "tactical" experience? These types of games seem like they'd be harder to balance than the older "run-and-gun" style. That's probably why there don't seem to be very many open-source attempts. That type of game would probably suit gaming controls best (I can't imagine playing Quake 3 Arena with analog sticks.) Urban Terror might work, but I don't know anything about the virtual machine used to run quake 3 mods, or if it's architecture specific.

I would like to see some Open Source Games in the way of UT "Onslaught" with vehicles and some kind of "base conquering/defending. I'm also a big fan of the old "Assault" mode with various objectives. :) I still haven't found a Open Source Alternative, especialy not with good bots. :(
I wish, at least the old Unreal Tournament would be open Source because it has usable bots and great game-modes (except vehicles) I think the Pandora could handle the older Unreal engine without problems.

I would love to see a Duke Nukem 3D/EDuke32 port, the engine is open source and there is a linux build so it should be possible!

Dragons_Slayer said:
I would love to see a Duke Nukem 3D/EDuke32 port, the engine is open source and there is a linux build so it should be possible!
I played Duke3D onto my old GP2X Full Speed, so it really is no problem. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke Nukem 3D was already built for both the GP32 and GP2X. If it doesn't get built for the Pandora I will eat my hat. It's a very nice hat. Or I'll just build it myself. How hard could it be? Most of the work has already been done on the GP32 and 2X ports.

fusion_power said:
I would like to see some Open Source Games in the way of UT "Onslaught" with vehicles and some kind of "base conquering/defending. I'm also a big fan of the old "Assault" mode with various objectives. :) I still haven't found a Open Source Alternative, especialy not with good bots. :(
I wish, at least the old Unreal Tournament would be open Source because it has usable bots and great game-modes (except vehicles) I think the Pandora could handle the older Unreal engine without problems.

well you can think about alienarena it has good vehicles :) http://icculus.org/alienarena/rpa/aquire.html#tag4

fusion_power said:
If UT could be playable on the Pandora than I would definitely have to pick one up when they are available.

VRAndy said:
I don't usually like FPS too much but Smokin' Guns is simply amazing! It's got great maps, awesome atmosphere and it's simply a lot of fun. Hearing is a large part of the game, ammo is limited, there is a great weapon purchasing system for which you have to collect money around the levels. Playing a deathmatch on a driving train or on an old steamboat is something you don't get anywhere else. :) I need this on my Pandora.

borgqueenx said:
i think no one plays UT2004 on these forums as much as i so. i play like one and a half hour a day at least!
An UT game on pandora with assault would be....perfect.
I used to play more, but I've got UT3 now.

Tokiopop said:
borgqueenx said:
i think no one plays UT2004 on these forums as much as i so. i play like one and a half hour a day at least!
An UT game on pandora with assault would be....perfect.
I used to play more, but I've got UT3 now.
no assault = no ut3 for me.

is UT Goty open source? if not there's not really a chance we can make this for pandora.

OrR said:
VRAndy said:
I don't usually like FPS too much but Smokin' Guns is simply amazing! It's got great maps, awesome atmosphere and it's simply a lot of fun. Hearing is a large part of the game, ammo is limited, there is a great weapon purchasing system for which you have to collect money around the levels. Playing a deathmatch on a driving train or on an old steamboat is something you don't get anywhere else. :) I need this on my Pandora.
I'll have to give Smokin' Guns another chance, I played it when it was new and it had a LOT of bugs, but it is one of the best themed Quake3 mods out there, good looking game.

Back