Anyone put a cellphone in this thing yet?

ethereal

Alright; so I came across pandora while surfing the internets. I did a little research and found out that this thing doesn't come with a cellphone.

I love the way the buttons are positioned and how it also has a full keyboard, but not having a cellphone is a deal breaker for me. I really don't want to walk around with a 2 devices in my pockets. If it had a cellphone it would be the perfect umpc device.

Has anyone managed to get solder a cellphone into this thing? Is there some sort of cellphone type usb device that would work with Pandora?

Anyone making custom hardware pandora mods that includes cellphone capabilities?

honestly, pal, too bulky for me

i can see something practical with 3G/gsm usb/bt modem and bluetooth headsets, could be possible, but still too bulky

pandora + nokia C6 is such a great IMO

Honestly, having a pandora and a cellphone would be to bulky for me. That's why I would like some sort of internal cellphone inside the pandora that I could use to send and receive phonecalls.

Alright; so I came across pandora while surfing the internets. I did a little research and found out that this thing doesn't come with a cellphone.

I love the way the buttons are positioned and how it also has a full keyboard, but not having a cellphone is a deal breaker for me. I really don't want to walk around with a 2 devices in my pockets. If it had a cellphone it would be the perfect umpc device.

Has anyone managed to get solder a cellphone into this thing? Is there some sort of cellphone type usb device that would work with Pandora?

Anyone making custom hardware pandora mods that includes cellphone capabilities?

I guess i could take one apart and shove my cell phone in it.

I only kid.

But it would be cool to use it as a cell phone with a headset.

Can't find it right now, but a year or so ago I did stumble across a USB stick which worked as data but could also send texts and make phone calls through a bluetooth headset. There isn't a lot of room, but I'm thinking someone with a knife, soldering iron, steady hands, and a lot of patience could fit such a thing into the top of the case beside the LCD.

Making the Pandora a cell phone would have inflated the size of the unit AND the price. It might have also cut down on its open-ness.

Well, 'The Openmoko Dialer' is in the Angstrom repos:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

And search for 'dialer'

I have a USB GSM dongle that I can use to connect a laptop to the 'net wherever there is a phone signal.

(I use the same SIM card that I use in my handset.)

So with an appropriate SIM card, ie one with 'Data' and 'Calls', it should be possible to make / receive calls with a BT headset and a Pandora.

(At least this is what I intend to try and do when I get my unit.)

Disclaimer..I am in the UK, on a contract, for a phone that comes with a 'Calls' and 'Data' allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back