Anyone Tried A Production-Wiz Battery In A Prototype?

Alex.

Retired
Hi,

As you may know Wiz prototypes don't hold their battery charge for more than a few days, even when not used at all. The question is whether the problem is in the hardware or only in the battery, in which case this could be fixed by using a new spare battery.

Did anyone who has both production and pre-production models try this? Thanks!

I think someone suggested that in addition to being subpar batteries, there was extra draw on it; the RTC or somesuch was wired in to drain it good. Theres some other issues than the battery .. they really wanted devs to buy prod units :)

I don't think it is the RTC. I can't remember at which point they introduced the external one to fix this, but you'll notice on at least the prototypes I have that it doesn't tick at all while the power is off (it keeps its value, but that is all). I wonder if the button cell is still wired up to preserve the value of the Pollux RTC on the final machines? Could be useful to store a volume value or some other system-wide 32bit variable if you can stop it counting (or if it were volume and can't be stopped, you could say have the range split up into 8 and have it increase the volume by one step every 7 years or so as a side-effect then just lower it or whatever :p).

Back