Anything I Can Do On A Pc I Can Do On The Gp2x?

bearcat

Still Fresh
Hey folks,

I just ran across the GP2X this morning and i'm drooling over it. I've been an Linux zelot for a long time now and an audiophile for longer.

Basically, i would assume that most things that i can get working on my PC at home i can get working on this device:

1) I can recompile the kernel to get various drivers working
2) I can add a wireless or bluetooth via usb
3) I could output the audio via the usb port (through ALSA) to work with usb based digital to analog converters at audio shows.
4) I can download source code and compile it on this device
5) i could recompile the kernel to allow me to read reiserfs mounts?

I am a little confused as i would swear i have seen two figures for the screen resolution. Is it 720*480?

Thank you,

Bearcat

Porting software to run on the gp2x is not normally as simple as just recompiling it, due to differences in hardware etc such as no keyboard, different screen res, no windowing manager. (Edit: is this what you meant with Q4? You can of course compile source code written for the gp2x with no probs, but most easily on a PC, not on the console itself) However, the SDL library, among others, have been ported, so porting games that use these libraries is easier, with some modifications.

I think compiling drivers is possible, but probably most will need some tweaking. A dock is needed to connect usb devices anyway, and supporting software. (i don't know much about this)

The screen res is 320x240, but i think the gp2x can do hardware scaling of videos up to 720*480 in size.

Edit: Removed accidental edit ;)

Bearcat said:
1) I can recompile the kernel to get various drivers working
2) I can add a wireless or bluetooth via usb
3) I could output the audio via the usb port (through ALSA) to work with usb based digital to analog converters at audio shows.
so far, yes.
Bearcat said:
4) I can download source code and compile it on this device
No, you cant really compile ON the gp2x, well actualy you could if you compiled gcc for it but that would be painfully slow, that's why you cross compile the stuff at your pc.
Bearcat said:
5) i could recompile the kernel to allow me to read reiserfs mounts?
i dont see why not.
Bearcat said:
I am a little confused as i would swear i have seen two figures for the screen resolution. Is it 720*480?
Its 320*240, but you can output higher resolutions over tv-out.

I hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, doesn't the fact that the kernel of the GP2X being 2.4 might make some stuff; that are possible easily on a desktop with kernel 2.6, hard or maybe impossible? just wondering...

Thanks folks! Your answers help a lot. I didn't mean compile ON the GPX2. I mistyped. It takes hours to compile C++ code (kde stuff) on my desktop with a gig of ram and an amd 64 3000, nevermind this device :) Since my desktop is a 64-bit distro (sourcemage) this would require some work.

The fact that i can output audio via the USB port is just awesome. I've been waiting for a device like this for a long time.
320*240 should be just fine on a screen this size, I hope.

I actually like the fact that it takes regular AA batteries. When one set runs out when i'm traveling i can just pop in another set.

I see that i can get FLAC files playing on this thing too. I think I'm in love.

*swoons*

I'm gonna have to get an external keyboard and run emacs on this thing. Why? i donno. I just have too!

Bearcat said:
Thanks folks! Your answers help a lot. I didn't mean compile ON the GPX2. I mistyped. It takes hours to compile C++ code (kde stuff) on my desktop with a gig of ram and an amd 64 3000, nevermind this device :) Since my desktop is a 64-bit distro (sourcemage) this would require some work.

The fact that i can output audio via the USB port is just awesome. I've been waiting for a device like this for a long time.
320*240 should be just fine on a screen this size, I hope.

I actually like the fact that it takes regular AA batteries. When one set runs out when i'm traveling i can just pop in another set.

I see that i can get FLAC files playing on this thing too. I think I'm in love.

*swoons*

I'm gonna have to get an external keyboard and run emacs on this thing. Why? i donno. I just have too!
I am glad and envious of you at the same time, I don't have a clue about the software side of things, hardware on the other hand . . .

Keyboard support should be coming along (in fact, maybe you can help it ;), sterm hasn't support for a shift key, making symbols impossible <_< ).

As for AAs, get a set of at least 2500 NiMH batteries of a good brand, you can add a 3rd AA to the back and get 6 + hours of play time, without even voiding the warranty! Just remove the shunt/bridge end of the battery tray and place new contacts wired in series to a 3rd AA in it's own single-cell holder. Then you can remove them at whim and replace the regular contacts for 2-cell operation.

Even if you don't do that you can get around 4-5 hours out of 2 batteries if you pair them, it does wonders keeping them alive longer and they are always at nearly the same level, so one isn't overstressed.

As for AAs, get a set of at least 2500 NiMH batteries of a good brand, you can add a 3rd AA to the back and get 6 + hours of play time, without even voiding the warranty! Just remove the shunt/bridge end of the battery tray and place new contacts wired in series to a 3rd AA in it's own single-cell holder. Then you can remove them at whim and replace the regular contacts for 2-cell operation.

Even if you don't do that you can get around 4-5 hours out of 2 batteries if you pair them, it does wonders keeping them alive longer and they are always at nearly the same level, so one isn't overstressed.

hi can you give more info on this battery mod?

also how do you "pair" batteries?

thanks

Orkie said:
mrsnature said:
no windowing manager.
That's where you're wrong :)
http://x11.gp2x.de/

Apologies Orkie :rolleyes:

Just trying to suggest that for most of the apps Bearcat runs in KDE, it won't be a matter of just compiling for GP2X...

As for USB sound output, I don't know much about this.. i don't think it is a function that will work out-of-the-box, has this been tried and tested by anyone? Edit: I suppose this would have to be a feature of whatever app is running? Do any support it?

There is an option in the GP2X kernel for USB sound, though I've never tried it but I guess it works. It isn't in the firmware by default though.

Orkie said:
There is an option in the GP2X kernel for USB sound, though I've never tried it but I guess it works. It isn't in the firmware by default though.
how about in open2x? :D

that's really interesting. i can't think of many uses for it, though...i know that some loop stations / recorders for guitar use flash cards for storage, so maybe that could be something. but then, if you're already generating the audio someplace else, why not use something better to record?

or audio generated on the gp2x (like on the piggy) could be piped out to a pc, but if you're in front of a pc, why not use a tracker on that?

ah well. i hope somebody can come up with a cool use for this, because i've got squat. what were you thinking of using it for, bearcat?

peelie said:

thanks

I want some more info on this 2AAx3 thing a ma bob there

peelie said:

thanks

Cervante said:
I want some more info on this 2AAx3 thing a ma bob there
Sorry, I was gone for a little. To "pair" batteries you measure them and put together ones that hold the same power or drain to the same voltage, or charge to the same voltage. You can check them when you open the package and then just mark each pair that have similar voltage.

Then keep the marked batteries together and they will always drain and charge and sit between charges the same amount, they should provide more power and last longer (if many don't understand this simple concept I am willing to bet that this is the reason for the really bad battery times that are being claimed by some).

3 AA batteries is exactly what it sounds like:
PDR_3942.JPG

Album, more pictures and larger.

I have a thread on here called "3 cell battery test" where I do this: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35803&hl=

Basically for $1 you get a single AA holder and then put it in series with the batteries in the GP already. For around 6 hours on the battery test program I call that a good trade for having an extra cell (should GPH have designed it to use 3 or 4 AA batteries?? Maybe they should have)

Pity, 3 cells would have been great, especially seeing the big boost to play time.

And the thing is it probably would have fit easily on the back with only a small extension to the battery compartment hump. Probably could have even had four cells for 8-10hrs+.

But it's typical GPH though, isn't it?

slaanesh said:
Pity, 3 cells would have been great, especially seeing the big boost to play time.

And the thing is it probably would have fit easily on the back with only a small extension to the battery compartment hump. Probably could have even had four cells for 8-10hrs+.

But it's typical GPH though, isn't it?
Yeah, maybe, it is pretty tight in there, the battery tray is already practically pushing a few components, so a 3rd battery would have made it more of a bulge.

Although they could have let the batteries hang out in the air more and regained the space that way, also imagine the bling factor of everyone seeing your high-capacity NiMH ;), like a skeleton battery cover that lets the batteries bulge through it.

Edit: they should have done the batteries as hand-grips like the Game Gear, 4 would have easily fit. It is a strange device.

All in all it would be a lot heavier, although maybe just even with the PSP, that dang thing is so heavy it is a burden to hold it, optical drive pfft. I have never used it, it was broken when I got the thing, why does sony insist on the optical media and then use crappy optical drives? (although I shouldn't bitch, just about every system I have got from Sony I got cheap because of failed/failing Optical drives :p)

Back