Anyway To Hide Directories?

Sonic-NKT

Hi i want to hide most directory and then put all bash scripts for the emus and programs in the root directory of the SD with icons. is that possible in any way? tried to rename the directories to (for example snes) .snes but it doesnt seem to work. any idea?

This has been discussed before. I don't see the big deal with this ... I just keep all my scripts in a folder called "Apps & Emus"; it sits at the top of my list of crap, and since I launch everthing from there, I couldn't care less how cluttered my SD card looks ;)

@ TelcoLou Amen Bother!

A little organization goes a long way on any filesystem I lay mine out like this

Data = stores all programs
roms = if I have an emulator that wont let me choose the dir
Videos = if I have any videos
Music = if I have any Music

script
icon (namedafter the script)

and thats it.

Though I wonder if you could make a autorun script that puts you into the Apps & Emus folder right out of the gate. That would make everything cleaner wouldn't it?

Putting '.' in front of the name doesn't work because the SD card is formatted as FAT (I don't know if the GP2X wood recognise a ext2/3 formatted card).
The nearest you could possibly get is to have one directory in the root directory and put all your apps in there, then have scripts that cd to the right directory and run the app. There are some apps though that have hard coded paths in them.

Here's my layout:

G:\
+---E-Books
+---Emulators
+---Games
+---Images
+---Movies
+---Music
+---Programs
+---roms
+---Test-Demos
+---Utilities
+---Skins

Putting '.' in front of the name doesn't work because the SD card is formatted as FAT
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Putting a . in front of a file on a FAT card will still hide it on all apps that support the . files. The reason it doesn't work here is that gp2xmenu doesn't support that standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting '.' in front of the name doesn't work because the SD card is formatted as FAT
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Putting a . in front of a file on a FAT card will still hide it on all apps that support the . files. The reason it doesn't work here is that gp2xmenu doesn't support that standard.

Absolutely right, I was talking rubbish. The solution is to write a new menu program that filters out the "." files/directories or just lists the gpe/u files on the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I would like is a way to link the icons in the OS to directories.

Why when I got to Game/sd to I then have to pick my game dir again ??
It would be nice under settings to have a mapping option where you can assign a dir to the icon.

Thus selecting game on the main menu would automatically go to sd/game and display the content ...

my 2 cents worth

Discuss !

I have to re-organize mine. Currently im only using 2 scripts, and I have to say, i prefer the way that looks. I have to sort out my sd a bit and compile everything up into folders, then make a folder with all scripts and icons the way telco has it.......unfortunately i havent gotten around to it yet.

threads like this make me realise that, for all the fun of actually playing with the gp2x, half of the fun seems to be organising it, optimising things, creating scripts and just generally fiddling. maybe it's just us xD or maybe it's just me :(

Personally I like to keep mine as complicated as possible. That way any idiots picking it up thinking its a psp will be baffeled at how to get "teh Gamezors" to start. :p

hey im just lazy :) i would really like it to just go on games and see all the apps with the nice icons i choosed....
will have to put them in the app folder now, hope there is a new launcher soon that allows what i want... man we really needs standarts on the gp2x like on the gp32.

PS: oh god, why cant i launch gnuboy with a script, it just dont works, even if i just execute the app. just a black screen ;)

Back