Apple II Emulator

LaxDragon

Still Fresh
I was looking around for an Apple II emulator to run, and stumbled on LinApple http://sourceforge.net/projects/linapple/

Took a crack at trying to get it to compile, but ran into some snags. Code has not been updated since '07. Since it is SDL based, I thought it might be a great candidate for Pandora.

I was looking around for an Apple II emulator to run, and stumbled on LinApple http://sourceforge.net/projects/linapple/

Took a crack at trying to get it to compile, but ran into some snags. Code has not been updated since '07. Since it is SDL based, I thought it might be a great candidate for Pandora.

I have been looking for an Apple IIe emulator on pandora too. I hope someone can get this to run.

I have been looking for an Apple IIe emulator on pandora too. I hope someone can get this to run.

I built a development environment SD card to try this as well, and it had a lot of issues compiling... 2007 code shouldn't be a problem. For the most part, this emulator has been "finished" and stable for many years.

Anyone else interested in giving this a try? IMO, an Apple ][ emulator is a glaring omission on the OpenPandora landscape!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LinApple is based on AppleWin. From what I remember of AppleWin, it was a perfect AppleIIe emulator. I used to use it quite a bit back when I actually ran Windows. IIRC it even emulated the mockingboard for even better sound/music in some games.

I did try to get LinApple to compile on my Linux box as a test. There seems to be issues with new gcc. Someone with more experience should be able to figure this out.

I'll keep holding out hope for this.

i also used winapple for the longest time and it was very stable. would love to see it on my pandora also, if only i had the knowledge to convert it over....

Well, I got linapple to compile, but I don't have my Pandora (had to RMA it without ever really getting to use it) so I can't test it to see if it actually runs. It's a simple executable (there's no install script and no additional files), so I'd think it would be easy to test.

If someone would like to try it, I'm willing to email it or look for a place to post it if you like.

Well, I got linapple to compile, but I don't have my Pandora (had to RMA it without ever really getting to use it) so I can't test it to see if it actually runs. It's a simple executable (there's no install script and no additional files), so I'd think it would be easy to test.

If someone would like to try it, I'm willing to email it or look for a place to post it if you like.

I would be happy to try it out for you! Please send me a link or I can provide an email for you to send it to.

I would be happy to try it out for you! Please send me a link or I can provide an email for you to send it to.

I threw it up on Mediafire so anyone can download it who wants to. If you'd prefer me to email it, send me a PM with your email address.

Here's the link.

Defunct

Edit: I was wrong about not requiring any additional files. Let me include those in the test folder. I'll post it shortly.

Here is the link to the whole thing. Except for a minor source code change, the other files are unchanged from the original.

----Updated to correct binary version----

http://www.mediafire.com/?wg3n7bzuplfldk4

I threw it up on Mediafire so anyone can download it who wants to. If you'd prefer me to email it, send me a PM with your email address.

Here's the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l5au8qawyrptf53

Edit: I was wrong about not requiring any additional files. Let me include those in the test folder. I'll post it shortly.

I put the files from the src distribution in the folder; however, it wouldn't run. It gives me the following cryptic error:

Code:
-bash: ./linapple: cannot execute binary file

I put the files from the src distribution in the folder; however, it wouldn't run. It gives me the following cryptic error:

Code:

Did you make the file executable? I just noticed that it was not executable in the archive.

If you did, well, I was kind of shooting in the dark trying to cross-compile without having a Pandora available. I don't have any experience with cross-compiling, so maybe there is something that I missed. It's also possible that a change I made to get it to compile for the Pandora didn't really work correctly. I have a regular compile working on my laptop.

Edit:

I figured out that I had not made some necessary changes to the makefile for cross-compiling and had ended up with an x86 binary (even though I had made all other necessary preparations). The makefile in the new archive will not work for directly compiling, but only for cross-compiling with the correct tools. Try this file:

Let me know if that works.

Code:

Did you make the file executable? I just noticed that it was not executable in the archive.

If you did, well, I was kind of shooting in the dark trying to cross-compile without having a Pandora available. I don't have any experience with cross-compiling, so maybe there is something that I missed. It's also possible that a change I made to get it to compile for the Pandora didn't really work correctly. I have a regular compile working on my laptop.

Edit:

I figured out that I had not made some necessary changes to the makefile for cross-compiling and had ended up with an x86 binary (even though I had made all other necessary preparations). The makefile in the new archive will not work for directly compiling, but only for cross-compiling with the correct tools. Try this file:

Let me know if that works.

Wow it totally works!!! Let me copy over some Apple ][ Disks and start testing it. Thanks so much - you rock!

Some tests:

Bandits - Success (Played to the 3rd Level - Control was a bit choppy)!

Ultima IV - Success WITH Mockingboard support (Created a Character and ran to Yew)!

Star Blazer - Success!

Choplifter - Success!

Loderunner - Success!

I am currently using mouse as joystick, and that works ok. I haven't tried enabling the nubs as Joysticks and trying that yet. That's next :)

This is awesome...

I left the CFLAG optimization setting at O3 because that is what it was on, but I'm wondering if O2 would be better.

I guess there is a joystick related setting in the configuration file (linapple.conf), but I don't know how it would correlate to Pandora controls (if at all).

I haven't really touched the code beyond just getting it to compile. Most of my coding experience is in Lisp, Visual Basic, and Perl. I once took a course in C++, but I'm very rusty.

There is definitely a setting in the conf file which is how I enabled mouse joystick. The emulator does act a bit choppy at times, but I am not sure where that comes from. Try O2 and let me give that a spin... :)

Back